By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - To Christians: Adam/Eve vs dinosaurs?

To answer your original question -

Non-Christians are not always educated to the reality there is a lot of diversity of though among Christians. There are things debated across denominations, theologies, and more. One of them is Young Earth versus Old Earth. In essence how old the earth is. I am around 85% on the Young Earth side.

How? I do not put my faith in carbon dating. I remember being in public school (very liberal and anti-Christian beliefs that are taught), and they told us it took millions of years for the Grand Canyon to be created. Then Mt St Helens erupted in my area and gouged out a valley in a few minutes. It has all those layers and according to science it would have taken thousands to millions of years for that to happen. Yet we watched on video and it happened over the span of minutes to hours. So that made me question other things science taught.  Especially when we talk theory and not fact. A fact is gravity. Evolution is a theory. Difference is the fact has been tested, and proved to be reality every single time. A theory has not been proven, and the longer a theory stays around unproven - well the less likely it is true.

I also read quite a bit on both sides of issues related to faith and science. There have been many frauds perpetrated upon the public over the years. Some of those frauds are taught in school books as fact. The Bible Answer man had that in one of his books. I verified he was right by checking my own school books when I was in school. Cave men were one of these. I do believe normal humans lived in caves - like David when he was hiding from Saul.

I do believe humans and dinosaurs lived together. We have all kinds of myths about dragons. Humans have hunted a variety of species to extinction, so it is certainly plausible our ancestors killed them off. Another theory is they were not put on Noah's Ark. There are also reports from a variety of countries of dinosaurs existing there in this day and age.

When it comes to fossils I laugh as "scientists" claim to know what their skin was like, and what colors they had, and if they had feathers or not. All from some bones that we put faith in them to put together right. There has been a long history of mistakes made in terms of fossils. From having the T-rex stand wrong to mixing pig and ape bones. How can we know they put things together right? Either we put faith in them or we don't.

Speaking of things we do not know for sure. How long did Adam and Eve stay in Eden? It may have been thousands of years, or millions of years. We have no clear picture on how long they lived there. Sin had not yet entered the world. So it was a different place. A place we may not be able to fully comprehend on this side of eternity.

There are interesting aspects that Old Earth (millions of years old) proponents can not answer. Like the decay rate of the moon, or why wasn't there more dust on the surface of the moon.

DNA exposes how messed up the belief in evolution is. The computer programs written into DNA are insanely complex - more so than we can write today in our technology age. No scientific way that is random. No transitionary species ever found, horse sizes that contradict the theory, and on and on.

I do find it humorous to see you being called ignorant for asking questions and not blinding believing in the religious belief of evolution.

Around the Network

Faith is a funny thing. Some people of faith seem to use their faith to fight against Science, but why is this necessary?

If people believe that God Created everything. Why not believe he created Dinosaurs first, then Man? Why not believe that Evolution is Gods will? I believe in Evolution, in random mutations and Survival of the Fittest, but does that mean there cannot be a God doing these things? Could these Random Mutations not be Random, but just my own inability to see the pattern? Sure.

Why is it also hard to believe that Adam/Eve are the first people the bible spoke of, but not necessarily the first people? (or how that was defined at the time). The Bible was written by Man. Could everything have been placed in the bible? There is no way. Why place things in the bible that are out of Context and do not matter (CaveMen/Dinosaurs. Even if they knew of them, there was no reason to mention them in the bible).

Max King of the Wild said:

That's good. It's just that people love to use science as absolute truth and grasp to what the evidence points to... until we observe that view was wrong and then on to the next theory to be absolutely true. (Obviously people won't say science is absolute truth but if you observe how they talk they usually don't acknowledge the possibility of their views or beliefs to be wrong just like religions due)

As for Flash Gordon's statement, he acknowledges science will be off sometimes... yet he still seems to believe it... funny how usually those people don't allow the same to religion.

Because one is the word of man, and one is the word of God, i.e. supposed to be perfect by definition. God's word is held up to a much higher standard; perfection. If ONE thing is wrong, then it's all wrong, period.

The Old Testament is nonsense. Nothing but parables teaching long outdated morals. Jesus was pretty cool though.

Anyway, dinosaurs definitely happened, and there's no need to try to mesh that story with creationism, which did not happen.

Roman Catholic btw.

miz1q2w3e said:

That's good. It's just that people love to use science as absolute truth and grasp to what the evidence points to... until we observe that view was wrong and then on to the next theory to be absolutely true. (Obviously people won't say science is absolute truth but if you observe how they talk they usually don't acknowledge the possibility of their views or beliefs to be wrong just like religions due)

As for Flash Gordon's statement, he acknowledges science will be off sometimes... yet he still seems to believe it... funny how usually those people don't allow the same to religion.

Because one is the word of man, and one is the word of God, i.e. supposed to be perfect by definition. God's word is held up to a much higher standard; perfection. If ONE thing is wrong, then it's all wrong, period.

But the word is interpreted by humans who are not perfect. Please extend the courtesy you want shown to your beliefs to others beliefs

Around the Network
peanut1972 said:

Non-Christians are not always educated to the reality there is a lot of diversity of though among Christians. There are things debated across denominations, theologies, and more. One of them is Young Earth versus Old Earth. In essence how old the earth is. I am around 85% on the Young Earth side.

How? I do not put my faith in carbon dating. I remember being in public school (very liberal and anti-Christian beliefs that are taught), and they told us it took millions of years for the Grand Canyon to be created. Then Mt St Helens erupted in my area and gouged out a valley in a few minutes. It has all those layers and according to science it would have taken thousands to millions of years for that to happen. Yet we watched on video and it happened over the span of minutes to hours. So that made me question other things science taught.  Especially when we talk theory and not fact. A fact is gravity. Evolution is a theory. Difference is the fact has been tested, and proved to be reality every single time. A theory has not been proven, and the longer a theory stays around unproven - well the less likely it is true.

I also read quite a bit on both sides of issues related to faith and science. There have been many frauds perpetrated upon the public over the years. Some of those frauds are taught in school books as fact. The Bible Answer man had that in one of his books. I verified he was right by checking my own school books when I was in school. Cave men were one of these. I do believe normal humans lived in caves - like David when he was hiding from Saul.

I do believe humans and dinosaurs lived together. We have all kinds of myths about dragons. Humans have hunted a variety of species to extinction, so it is certainly plausible our ancestors killed them off. Another theory is they were not put on Noah's Ark. There are also reports from a variety of countries of dinosaurs existing there in this day and age.

When it comes to fossils I laugh as "scientists" claim to know what their skin was like, and what colors they had, and if they had feathers or not. All from some bones that we put faith in them to put together right. There has been a long history of mistakes made in terms of fossils. From having the T-rex stand wrong to mixing pig and ape bones. How can we know they put things together right? Either we put faith in them or we don't.

Speaking of things we do not know for sure. How long did Adam and Eve stay in Eden? It may have been thousands of years, or millions of years. We have no clear picture on how long they lived there. Sin had not yet entered the world. So it was a different place. A place we may not be able to fully comprehend on this side of eternity.

There are interesting aspects that Old Earth (millions of years old) proponents can not answer. Like the decay rate of the moon, or why wasn't there more dust on the surface of the moon.

DNA exposes how messed up the belief in evolution is. The computer programs written into DNA are insanely complex - more so than we can write today in our technology age. No scientific way that is random. No transitionary species ever found, horse sizes that contradict the theory, and on and on.

I do find it humorous to see you being called ignorant for asking questions and not blinding believing in the religious belief of evolution.

Some real old chestnuts here...

Carbon dating is not used to date rocks.

A theory in science is held to higher regard than a fact.

Scientists correct their mistakes, therefore they can't be trusted?

Mt St Helens, dust on the moon... have you been watching Kent Hovind nonsense?

" The computer programs written into DNA are insanely complex" - what on earth are you talking about?

peanut1972 said:

Wow, what a gigantic pile of horseshit.

Carbon dating does not require faith, it requires trust in the methodology and current knowledge of the Earth. 

The Grand Canyon wasn't formed from a volcano, so your comparison is completely nonsensical to begin with.

A theory is based upon facts, there exists some assumptions, but a theory has been through tremendous scientific scrutiny to ensure validity of the theory itself. 

Which frauds have been "perpetuated by the public"?

Humans and dinosaurs did not live together. This is a fact. You clearly haven't a clue.

You keep using faith to describe science which requires none. Clearly you misunderstand the difference. Science - Evidence Faith - ?????

The rest of your post isn't even worthy of comment.

Read a book.

"Religious belief of evolution" - says it all really.

peanut1972 said:

A volcanic eruption WILL NOT produce the same sedimentary layers as those found in The Grand Canyon. Gravity is A THEORY. Frauds in Science DO NOT last very long, and are quickly exposed and dealt with. @The dragons bit, we also have myths about fairies and unicorns. Scientist DO NOT claim to know what color dinosaur's skin was, those are only artists' interpretations. For DUST, you would need things like wind/erosion/an atmosphere, do you even know what DUST is? DNA is gives a HUUUUGE boost to the credibilty of the theory of evolution by natural selection. Transitional fossils DO EXIST.

So much WRONG information/understanding in this post, it's almost unbelievable. I feel INSULTED by your post.

miz1q2w3e said:

But the word is interpreted by humans who are not perfect. Please extend the courtesy you want shown to your beliefs to others beliefs

Then it's the God's fault for writing it in such a way that is so open to WRONG interpretations by so many. Besides, the things I was refering to are statements that are CLEARLY wrong and/or IMPOSSIBLE, not the ones that are open to interpretation. Flat Earth, anyone?

Also, I do not expect courtesy for my beliefs because I have none. You're NOT implying that science is a belief like how religion is, are you?

SpartenOmega117 said:
As a Muslim I had similar questions a while ago. Ill post you the best response I got since the bible and Quran are pretty similar

"The reason people are not finding a verse about dinosaurs could be due to the fact that they haven't understood the entire Quran. Also, lots of people would just say it's not there because they haven't seen it or read the Quran entirely while understanding it 100% to be able to say it does.

The term 'dinosaur' is also the modern word of what those creatures were called thousands of years ago. We do not know what those creatures were referred to exactly, but we can only study the Quran further to make that decision, if it indeed exists in the Quran.

For an example, a lot of people used the excuse of how there is no verse that implies that women have to wear the Hijab (headscarf) and point out only one ayah (verse) that tells women to dress modestly. Of course, that is based on their knowledge of the Quran, little do they know that there exists two more versus that relate to the Headscarf and makes it compulsory. Just because they don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Everyday or every decade, we discover something new. Whether it be a more clear understanding of what we thought a verse meant, or a complete shift in our views. Islam is over 1400 years old, and to this day we still find something new out, and we still don't completely understand the Quran. Some verses have literal implications, others an underlining meaning or message.

Now, that does not prove that there is a verse about dinosaurs in the Quran, but suggests that it may actually exist in the Quran but has not yet been identified. We do not know what God refers to as 'dinosaurs' in the Quran, but we do know that there is a verse that discusses 'giant creatures/beasts (Dabbah)' in verse 2:164 from the Holy Quran: "...in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth...are signs for a people that are wise"

The same word 'Dabbah' is used the in the verse 24:45: "And God has created every animal from water: of them are some that creep on their bellies; some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. God creates what he wills..." There is another verse in the Quran that I found very interesting - Al-Araf:56 "work not confusion in the earth after the fair ordering thereof" which describes how the earth had been "repaired/reordered/restored", suggesting there had been commotion or some problematic event on earth and was restored. It warns the believers to not cause confusion on earth.

Then again, that could mean a whole different thing. But, I do believe, even though the Quran is meant mainly to guide the believers, that there may be some verse that might further explain life millions of years ago. That's my opinion.

Sorry the English translation doesn't flow or make as much sense as the actual Arabic text from the Quran, it's quite difficult to explain precisely."

good post!

there is a lot of science in the Quran that people have proven through out the years which have been written 1400 years ago!

unlike the Bilble, the Quran has been preserved letter by letter. the Bible has interpretations of interpretations which is wrong. what people really need to do is interpenetrate the original book which they don't have anymore

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(