By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What would happen if Sony Stopped making the Vita?

yea discontinue to relaunch the system.

Around the Network

It would burn their best and most loyal customers. One of the most important things a business needs is 'goodwill/trust' which is why such a subjective thing can be counted in even on a balance sheet as a significant part of the value of a business. It would also hurt the trust of the developers and publishers and we can already see the damage the PS3 has caused them, with the PSP publishers and developers had blind faith but because of the PS3 they took a 'wait and see' approach and hence we have the situation where the Vita doens't have a great level of support so people aren't buying it which leads to poor support. If they dropped the Vita they may as well not release the PS4 it would put them at such a disadvantage against Nintendo/Microsoft.

Tease.

I hope they won't cuz it might lead people to falsely conclude that powerful handhelds have no market. Nintendo already monopolize the value engineering approach. iPads and tablets are actually powerful (increasingly so) as well as more expensive, yet people are quite content with mind numbing games of mostly addiction based offerings.

Vita just has an identify crisis and it just so happens to be trying to sell in a gimped world economy. Parents are able to keep their iPad upgrades and hand down the iPads to younger children, while teenagers get to have their iPhones and Android phones (much more important to text or whatsapp someone than catching that Pokemon even). Vita is marketing into a very niche market, I see kids picking up demo Vitas with Uncharted..they didnt get it man. They walk over to 3DS and see Mario Tennis...they got that.

Sony also worked themselves into a very tough fiscal situation. The Yen devaluation will help companies such as Toyota or Nintendo, any companies that didnt over reach in their Yen hedging. Sony reportedly is Yen neutral now. So this once in a decade or two chance of selling into a weakening yen won't help them at all.

I really hope as a fan of Sony products that they ease off the Sony empire approach. Building in all sorts of one day Sony products shall unite designs are really hurting their financial performance. They face Korean competion on consumer electronics, they have MSFT choosing to strategically occupy the SAME consumer base on consoles. MSFT never tried to take on Nintendo, they saw Playstation market and wanted that. The HD twin market actually is a bigger market than Nintendo's Wii.

Handheld is a fragile market with smart phones, tablets, facebook, luring away casual gaming time. Sony never bothered to produce enough of their own IPs for the handheld market, when Dragon Quest, Monster Monter, hopped on Nintendo's camp, Vita was left with loss leader strategy as only viable way to pump sales. But The empire was stretched too thin. Sacrificing short term income for long term gains became a pill that woulda killed Sony's credit ratings. And I really feel bad for them cuz they lost out on tablet, smart phone markets which they could have and probably would have taken had thie Playstation success not blindfolded them into this PS3 as center of entertainment hub (just really a cheap blueray player for me).

Sony dropping Vita today would mean the resignation of a crapload of top level excecutives and I dont know if makes any sense to do that.

Squilliam said:
It would burn their best and most loyal customers. One of the most important things a business needs is 'goodwill/trust' which is why such a subjective thing can be counted in even on a balance sheet as a significant part of the value of a business. It would also hurt the trust of the developers and publishers and we can already see the damage the PS3 has caused them, with the PSP publishers and developers had blind faith but because of the PS3 they took a 'wait and see' approach and hence we have the situation where the Vita doens't have a great level of support so people aren't buying it which leads to poor support. If they dropped the Vita they may as well not release the PS4 it would put them at such a disadvantage against Nintendo/Microsoft.

This.

Sony would lose credibility. Furthermore, developers would start looking at other alternatives (Nintendo or Microsoft) as they would not risk the investment of bringing their software to a R.I.P. console.

Sony should of not entered the handheld market as their first party software don't justify the purchase of the hardware. Much of the success of the PSP is built upon Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy exclusives and Capcom's Monster Hunter series and those third party exclusives seem to be locked for the 3DS. Hence, Sony is in a bad position as if it discontinues the Vita, the Playstation brand is damaged and third party developers will think twice before ever thinking of bringing their software to their console, and on the other hand if they continue supporting it, they are taking a loss.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes that is for sure and I hope they are cooking something really good with their recent acquisition of Gakai - there is so much potential and yet there is still a dark cloud hovering over it.

Vinniegambini said:
Squilliam said:

This.

Sony would lose credibility. Furthermore, developers would start looking at other alternatives (Nintendo or Microsoft) as they would not risk the investment of bringing their software to a R.I.P. console.

Sony should of not entered the handheld market as their first party software don't justify the purchase of the hardware. Much of the success of the PSP is built upon Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy exclusives and Capcom's Monster Hunter series and those third party exclusives seem to be locked for the 3DS. Hence, Sony is in a bad position as if it discontinues the Vita, the Playstation brand is damaged and third party developers will think twice before ever thinking of bringing their software to their console, and on the other hand if they continue supporting it, they are taking a loss.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes that is for sure and I hope they are cooking something really good with their recent acquisition of Gakai - there is so much potential and yet there is still a dark cloud hovering over it.

Thanks.

@Bold:

Gaikai is an extremely significant purchase. I had some rough thoughts here:

Tease.

Around the Network

If they really drop the vita from the market which i highly doubt thanthat would mean more support for PS4 and more happy PS4 owner.

But again i seriously doubt they ever will. Yeah the vita is selling bad right now but its also growing (percent wise).
Than Sony can make a price cut, a ps vita slim, new game anouncements ( Golden Abyss 2 and Gravity Rush 2 would boost the vita for sure) Also games like Phantom Pain ( rumored PS Vita Metal gear Solid) can bring new live to the vita.

And next year doesnt look to shabby( atleast for the japanese market) There is nearly one new game every week.

This all reminds me of the PS3. The PS3 wasalos called doomed and dead and now it has sold over 70 M units worldwide.

It wouldn't hurt playstation brand at all, look at the numbers 3 million of the 150million Playstation gamers have gotten vitas so it would effect 1 in every 50 of their supporters, I'll be honest I had one and traded it in a while back but its just because I kinda got a bit annoyed going back and forth between that and the psp since I use my Psp for a lot of other things which the vita can't really do at the moment, but like... I still got my ps3 and psp happy out :D

you never really want to see something that is a step ahead power wise not do well, but at the same time sometimes you just need to stop pumping money into something if it isn't paying dividends

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
yea discontinue to relaunch the system.

they did that with the pspgo it didn't end well at all.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

It will help me at least to save more money to purchase more games on other platform such as 3DS and 360.

Whatever happens dont drop it sony.. leave it as reminder of how NOT to compete with Ninty.. two thumb sticks?.. ha! no one cares suckers!