By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What would happen if Sony Stopped making the Vita?

Squilliam said:
Vinniegambini said:
Squilliam said:
It would burn their best and most loyal customers. One of the most important things a business needs is 'goodwill/trust' which is why such a subjective thing can be counted in even on a balance sheet as a significant part of the value of a business. It would also hurt the trust of the developers and publishers and we can already see the damage the PS3 has caused them, with the PSP publishers and developers had blind faith but because of the PS3 they took a 'wait and see' approach and hence we have the situation where the Vita doens't have a great level of support so people aren't buying it which leads to poor support. If they dropped the Vita they may as well not release the PS4 it would put them at such a disadvantage against Nintendo/Microsoft.

This.

Sony would lose credibility. Furthermore, developers would start looking at other alternatives (Nintendo or Microsoft) as they would not risk the investment of bringing their software to a R.I.P. console.

Sony should of not entered the handheld market as their first party software don't justify the purchase of the hardware. Much of the success of the PSP is built upon Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy exclusives and Capcom's Monster Hunter series and those third party exclusives seem to be locked for the 3DS. Hence, Sony is in a bad position as if it discontinues the Vita, the Playstation brand is damaged and third party developers will think twice before ever thinking of bringing their software to their console, and on the other hand if they continue supporting it, they are taking a loss.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes that is for sure and I hope they are cooking something really good with their recent acquisition of Gakai - there is so much potential and yet there is still a dark cloud hovering over it.

Thanks.

@Bold:

Gaikai is an extremely significant purchase. I had some rough thoughts here:

I think people here REALLY overestimate Gaikai. It could be big in the future, but currently it will only be niche. There is one significant reason for it: Streaming services use up way too much bandwith. (Check out these: http://www.hometheater.com/content/how-much-bandwidth-do-you-need-streaming-videohttp://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2010/04/denial_of_service.html) I´ve also seen a reddit.com - discussion where thousands of people (mostly in the US) complained about the low speeds aviable, so unless a REALLY big step is taken and internet with more than ~5Mbps UPLOAD is aviable everywhere, Gaikai will not be the big hitter you all hope it to be :(

Around the Network
KHlover said:
Squilliam said:

Thanks.

@Bold:

I think people here REALLY overestimate Gaikai. It could be big in the future, but currently it will only be niche. There is one significant reason for it: Streaming services use up way too much bandwith. (Check out these: http://www.hometheater.com/content/how-much-bandwidth-do-you-need-streaming-videohttp://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2010/04/denial_of_service.html) I´ve also seen a reddit.com - discussion where thousands of people (mostly in the US) complained about the low speeds aviable, so unless a REALLY big step is taken and internet with more than ~5Mbps UPLOAD is aviable everywhere, Gaikai will not be the big hitter you all hope it to be :(

Well within 8 years 70% of the population in my country will have access to 100Mbps internet. So you could say that we're up to 8 years away from Gaikai going from irrelevant to relevant. So whilst you could argue that Sony has done some dumb moves in the past, an investment in Gaikai probably isn't one of them. If you consider places in the world like Europe who are investing in fibre to the home and the popularity of the brand Playstation in Europe then you can see why Gaikai could be seen as a good investment.

Think about this:  The entry cost for someone to play PS3/PS4 games could be $10 a month and the hardware can be thrown in with the subscription with absolutely no upfront cost.

Tease.

if sony dropped vita it would make VGCharts a better place for all of us. Less doom threads and fanboy wars.

If Sony dropped the Vita, the 3DS will have a competition-less road ahead and Nintendo would become more and more arrogant, eventually making a product which isn't of good quality and thus falling to their doom.

Squilliam said:
KHlover said:
Squilliam said:

Thanks.

@Bold:

Well within 8 years 70% of the population in my country will have access to 100Mbps internet. So you could say that we're up to 8 years away from Gaikai going from irrelevant to relevant. So whilst you could argue that Sony has done some dumb moves in the past, an investment in Gaikai probably isn't one of them. If you consider places in the world like Europe who are investing in fibre to the home and the popularity of the brand Playstation in Europe then you can see why Gaikai could be seen as a good investment.

Think about this:  The entry cost for someone to play PS3/PS4 games could be $10 a month and the hardware can be thrown in with the subscription with absolutely no upfront cost.

Yeah, New Zealand will reach this goal. Most countries in Europe could reach it as well. But I don't see the US coming anywhere close to this in the next years if they don't change things there massively. It's a mess. Or take Canada, where most of the flatrates are capped at 10GB or something like that (search for canadians in the WiiU launch threads for references). What I want to say: Internet in the biggest of the three markets isn't nearly advanced enough for Gaikai. Also, even IF 70% of the population will have internet fast enough for gaikai (which I doubt) by 2018, Gaikai still wouldn't be avaible to the other 30%. Those people would be absolutely PISSED, I don't think Sony would risk that. In conclusion: While I think gaikai IS an extremely valuable investment for Sony, it won't benefit from it with the PS4. Too many people who couldn't access it. However, I think by the time the PS5 arrives the stage for gaikai will be set. And it will be...AWESOME^^    

Around the Network
KHlover said:
Squilliam said:
KHlover said:
Squilliam said:

Thanks.

@Bold:

Yeah, New Zealand will reach this goal. Most countries in Europe could reach it as well. But I don't see the US coming anywhere close to this in the next years if they don't change things there massively. It's a mess. Or take Canada, where most of the flatrates are capped at 10GB or something like that (search for canadians in the WiiU launch threads for references). What I want to say: Internet in the biggest of the three markets isn't nearly advanced enough for Gaikai. Also, even IF 70% of the population will have internet fast enough for gaikai (which I doubt) by 2018, Gaikai still wouldn't be avaible to the other 30%. Those people would be absolutely PISSED, I don't think Sony would risk that. In conclusion: While I think gaikai IS an extremely valuable investment for Sony, it won't benefit from it with the PS4. Too many people who couldn't access it. However, I think by the time the PS5 arrives the stage for gaikai will be set. And it will be...AWESOME^^    

Aus is similar with the NBN roll out the 100mbit fibre network but sadly the new plans suck. They have data caps so streaming media will be usless unless they end up setting up local services that are unmetered.

well it certainly wouldn't give me much confidence in what will happen to the PS4 if they really did remove the Vita because they can't keep it Viting

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

everyone in the forum would go crazy and than you'll make a thread about it called " an unbiased jaywood2010 review of why sony stopped making the vita"

Not sure if that was a personaly attack or not.....

However I believe the Vita is fine.  It should have a very very long life cycle as handheld gaming really doesn't need to get to much better graphicly.  I feel the Vita is a future investment.  This was just a question because many people do feel they will fail.

Vinniegambini said:
Squilliam said:
It would burn their best and most loyal customers. One of the most important things a business needs is 'goodwill/trust' which is why such a subjective thing can be counted in even on a balance sheet as a significant part of the value of a business. It would also hurt the trust of the developers and publishers and we can already see the damage the PS3 has caused them, with the PSP publishers and developers had blind faith but because of the PS3 they took a 'wait and see' approach and hence we have the situation where the Vita doens't have a great level of support so people aren't buying it which leads to poor support. If they dropped the Vita they may as well not release the PS4 it would put them at such a disadvantage against Nintendo/Microsoft.

This.

Sony would lose credibility. Furthermore, developers would start looking at other alternatives (Nintendo or Microsoft) as they would not risk the investment of bringing their software to a R.I.P. console.

Sony should of not entered the handheld market as their first party software don't justify the purchase of the hardware. Much of the success of the PSP is built upon Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy exclusives and Capcom's Monster Hunter series and those third party exclusives seem to be locked for the 3DS. Hence, Sony is in a bad position as if it discontinues the Vita, the Playstation brand is damaged and third party developers will think twice before ever thinking of bringing their software to their console, and on the other hand if they continue supporting it, they are taking a loss.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes that is for sure and I hope they are cooking something really good with their recent acquisition of Gakai - there is so much potential and yet there is still a dark cloud hovering over it.

This is a real question.  I've heard a lot about Gakai but what is it?  And what will it do for gaming?  I never took the time to do research about it so I would like to know what people's thoughts on it is. Maybe i should just make another thread about that.

If Sony drops the PS Vita, I'm sure some other group will pick it up; it's a fine piece of hardware. Just look at the CFW on the PSP. If Sony doesn't step it up, the community may.