By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what sells a console, good games or movie tie ins?

Oh so we are specifically talking about the games. Um well games that are going to push consoles are mainstream brand games, such as Mario, Halo, and Grand Theft Auto. Normally the mainstream is the ones that buy consoles for a single game when it releases, and that's only going to happen when a huge mainstream brand name game releases.

Around the Network

Mainstream games move consoles. 100 bioshocks and No More Heroes can't compare with 1 Halo, or Mario.

I think that should be a new catagory of gamer. So many people divide it into casual and hardcore, but what about the mainstream? The people that buy 2 games a year, but they are "hardcore" mainstream titles such as Halo and Grand Theft Auto. Can they be considered "hardcore"? They spend little time gaming, buy only a few games a year, and only go after the big hype mainstream titles. But They Aren't "Casual" because they ignore party games, simple games (Diner Dash) and "non-games" such as braintraining. They are the mainstream.

The Mainstream gamers are the ones that made the PS2 so popular, now the casuals are starting to become a large demographic as well. Both of those demographics are much larger than the "hardcore" (read:Spends excessive amounts of money on their gaming hobby), and are the real deciding factor in the console wars.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Movie tie ins usually suck a$$.

Having a well rounded selection of good titles is what will sell consoles. I NEVER bought a video game because it was based off of a movie, and I've gerneally avoided them like the plague.
10 year olds aren't as stupid as you'd seem to like to think. They'll go after the "cool" games, and no movie tie in game has ever succeeded in giving anyone that impression.
Possibly pokemon, but I really don't count that one, cause the pokemon anime was made to support the game, not the other way around.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Something else to consider is that movie tie-in games can be good.

Goldeneye anyone?

Around the Network

games

mM
leo-j said:
games

What makes you think so leo-j?  What's your reasoning behind that statement?

Words Of Wisdom said:
Something else to consider is that movie tie-in games can be good.

Goldeneye anyone?

Good point a good movie tie pretty much has to sell well

high quality software line-up

also the mainstreamers buy yearly renewals of games like madden, fifa, nfs...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man