By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales: Famitsu & Media create

Hmmm I thought the WiiU sales would have gone up if anything :/

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Everyone still waiting on Monster Hunter Vita... this time last year they were saying the announcement was imminent... this time next year they will still be saying the announcement is imminent.

Well it is imminent. Read my comments above.
I myself am not a fan of the series, but it was crucial to the PSPs success in Japan and it will be crucial to the Vita's. 

MH3 WiiU bombing? end of the world indeed...wait

VGKing said:
the_dengle said:
Everyone still waiting on Monster Hunter Vita... this time last year they were saying the announcement was imminent... this time next year they will still be saying the announcement is imminent.

I myself am not a fan of the series, but it was crucial to the PSPs success in Japan and it will be crucial to the Vita's. 

"Imminent" is not the same as "inevitable." Imminent has a sense of urgency to it. MH Vita was not imminent last year if it still hasn't been announced... especially considering MH4 was announced over a year before its intended release.

It may well be that MH Vita will eventually happen, especially given Capcom's love of money. But if it doesn't come until 2015, I don't think it will be the knight in shining armor everyone wants it to be.

the_dengle said:
naruball said:

Kowenicki writes the same thing every week in Media create threads:

"Wow at Vita. Terrible/horrendous/destroyed by 3ds" or anything along those lines. We've discussed it before and he suggested that he likes pointing out the obvious. At least once every week.

I think barely managing 20k (or not at all) in Japan the week before Christmas is pretty "wow" worthy.

Pointing out how bad vita is doing in Japan with the same remark every week ("wow at vita") is as unnecessary as saying "wow at 360 numbers. Just terrible". We al know both consoles are doing terrible. There is no reason to point out the obvious with the same remark every week. I don't see any sony fans pointing out how bad 360 is doing in Japan.
Just my opinion though

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
VGKing said:
the_dengle said:

"Imminent" is not the same as "inevitable." Imminent has a sense of urgency to it. MH Vita was not imminent last year if it still hasn't been announced... especially considering MH4 was announced over a year before its intended release.

It may well be that MH Vita will eventually happen, especially given Capcom's love of money. But if it doesn't come until 2015, I don't think it will be the knight in shining armor everyone wants it to be.

This +1

Monster Hunter will remain a Nintendo exclusive for a while. Capcom have stated that Monster Hunter 3 went to the Wii due to high development costs for PS3 - http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/10/ps3-monster-hunter-3-cut-due-to-high-dev-costs/. If Capcom follows the same logic, 3DS games are cheaper to make than PS Vita games and Wii U games will be cheaper to make compared to next-gen consoles... I don't see Monster Hunter appearing on Sony platforms for a while.

Its funny the differential in the markets right now. If you looked at the European sales you'd think Nintendo was doomed but if you only saw the Japanese sales it'd appear they were on top of the world

Vinniegambini said:
the_dengle said:
VGKing said:
the_dengle said:

This +1

Monster Hunter will remain a Nintendo exclusive for a while. Capcom have stated that Monster Hunter 3 went to the Wii due to high development costs for PS3 - http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/10/ps3-monster-hunter-3-cut-due-to-high-dev-costs/. If Capcom follows the same logic, 3DS games are cheaper to make than PS Vita games and Wii U games will be cheaper to make compared to next-gen consoles... I don't see Monster Hunter appearing on Sony platforms for a while.

Well they could develop for Vita and port it over to PS4 later. Seemed to work fine for Portable 3rd.

Besides the potential for a 3rd party game to sell on a Nintendo console is much lower than it is for a Sony one. A Monster Hunter game on Vita would increase sales on that platform and allow Capcom to make OTHER games besides Monster Hunter for it and make a profit from them as well.

Besides a Sony exec said Monster Hunter was supposed to come out this year. Who knows what happened there.

VGKing said:

Well they could develop for Vita and port it over to PS4 later. Seemed to work fine for Portable 3rd.

Besides the potential for a 3rd party game to sell on a Nintendo console is much lower than it is for a Sony one. A Monster Hunter game on Vita would increase sales on that platform and allow Capcom to make OTHER games besides Monster Hunter for it and make a profit from them as well.

Besides a Sony exec said Monster Hunter was supposed to come out this year. Who knows what happened there.

Oh yes, Portable 3rd HD. How did that work out for Capcom? Do you think they even made profit on it? Didn't even localize it, did they?

As for the Sony exec, we had better hope he was simply misinformed. Because if there was a Monster Hunter planned for Vita this year, and it was canned... that's an even worse sign than one not being in the works.

As for the bolded, Tri is the best-selling console MH game yet, both in Japan and globally.

the_dengle said:
VGKing said:

Oh yes, Portable 3rd HD. How did that work out for Capcom? Do you think they even made profit on it? Didn't even localize it, did they?

As for the Sony exec, we had better hope he was simply misinformed. Because if there was a Monster Hunter planned for Vita this year, and it was canned... that's an even worse sign than one not being in the works.

As for the bolded, Tri is the best-selling console MH game yet, both in Japan and globally.

Japan is a really different story. Monster Hunter sells well, but only on handhelds. Monster Hunter 3G on 3DS is nearly approaching 2 million units in Japan alone. Dragon Quest was a love story with DS, those games sold shitloads. The potential for a 3rd party game to sell on a Nintendo console IN JAPAN is much higher than for a Sony one.