By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony ‘Employee’ Review: ‘I Don’t Have A Lot Of Confidence That Orbis Will Sell Well’

I assume the 3rd-party support for the PS4 will be just fine. PS4 and the next Xbox will be very similar. The main diffrence is going to be the CPU. Multiple sources reported an AMD APU for the PS4 and an IBM Chip for the Xbox. This is pretty much what 3rd-party devs wanted from Sony and they are going to get it. Ports between PC and PS4 will probably be easier this way, as it is closer to the x86 architecture. This is the main reason why most games are programmed for the Xbox360 and then ported to the PS3, it was easier to do so.

As for the PS Vita... big titles are missing or are being messed up. I really hope that The Phantom Pain turns out to be a Vita game (and yes, it is possible).

Around the Network

Well, I will just say this, if Sony fails, this medium ,as we know it, will go down the toilet. No one else is going to produce a console. Microsoft joined the race, and the big three were set in stone. There is not enough market space to start another console. (Ouya doesn't count). If Sony fails, Microsoft and Nintendo will both have much less competition, quality will go down, etc. If the Orbis is a massive failure, Playstation dies. They can't handle another Vita, they need to succeed.

In other words, even if you don't like Sony, if they go out, it's terrible for the industry.

I kinda wonder if Sony is aiming to do something in between the XBox 720 and Wii U.

More powerful than the Wii U, but less powerful than the Durango. Cheaper than Durango with a more casual focus, but more hardcore content than the Wii U.

Maybe their management feels they can't compete with the 720 in terms of taking hardware losses? If MS decides to play that game, they're going to win, because they have money to burn, whereas Sony doesn't.

Mensrea said:
Well, I will just say this, if Sony fails, this medium ,as we know it, will go down the toilet. No one else is going to produce a console. Microsoft joined the race, and the big three were set in stone. There is not enough market space to start another console. (Ouya doesn't count). If Sony fails, Microsoft and Nintendo will both have much less competition, quality will go down, etc. If the Orbis is a massive failure, Playstation dies. They can't handle another Vita, they need to succeed.

In other words, even if you don't like Sony, if they go out, it's terrible for the industry.

If Sony failes the medium will go down the toilet and quality will go down?

*Rolls eyes*  Oh please. Spare us your hyperbole.

I wonder how many people said the same thing with Sega. No one company holds this industry together. If one fails the others will keep going as before and with space for a third to join, one will eventually. Hopefully it would be Valve, or Google, wouldn't mind seeing how they handle a console and what kind of first party they would bring.

My guess is he was one of the downsized people. Downsized people rarely feel positivly about the company they left after being fired.

Around the Network
wfz said:
Everyone's doomed except Microsoft, nowadays.

Or are they doomed too?

They would be doomed but they've got too much money to keep "buying" theselves non doomed status.

However they are doomed when it comes to mobile phones and windows.

wfz said:
Everyone's doomed except Microsoft, nowadays.

Or are they doomed too?

Not unless Macs suddenly become more popular, and PCs decline. I don't really see that happening any time in the next 10 years though.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Soundwave said:
I kinda wonder if Sony is aiming to do something in between the XBox 720 and Wii U.

More powerful than the Wii U, but less powerful than the Durango. Cheaper than Durango with a more casual focus, but more hardcore content than the Wii U.

Maybe their management feels they can't compete with the 720 in terms of taking hardware losses? If MS decides to play that game, they're going to win, because they have money to burn, whereas Sony doesn't.

I don't think they're aiming for that, but that's what its going to be unless Microsoft pack a powerful (expensive) kinect 2.0 in with every 720.

Bashtee said:
I assume the 3rd-party support for the PS4 will be just fine. PS4 and the next Xbox will be very similar. The main diffrence is going to be the CPU. Multiple sources reported an AMD APU for the PS4 and an IBM Chip for the Xbox. This is pretty much what 3rd-party devs wanted from Sony and they are going to get it. Ports between PC and PS4 will probably be easier this way, as it is closer to the x86 architecture. This is the main reason why most games are programmed for the Xbox360 and then ported to the PS3, it was easier to do so.

As for the PS Vita... big titles are missing or are being messed up. I really hope that The Phantom Pain turns out to be a Vita game (and yes, it is possible).

It's not exactly this way. What you need for easy ports is great tools, and that's what most developers said of X360, the incredible SDK it has. PS3 didn't had good tools, especially a good debugger, until some first party developers created their own tools (I'm not sure, I think Guerrilla and Naughty Dog made them) and after they gave it for free to all the third parties in an updated SDK the quality of the multiplatforms increased a lot.

Most of the time you don't develop that close to the metal, you almost always use middleware. Not having a good debugger can make you lose tons of time.

haha this is shit