By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation shipment history. Milestones incoming. PS4 required!

psrock said:
So, you needed all that to tell us PS2 and PS were badass system which kicked everyone's ass which PS3 is not of which we have known for 5 years now.

But we get to see it with a nice blue line D=

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

So basically Sony will still outsell Microsoft in shipments in it's worst year in a decade? Furthermore, Sony's worst home console will probably beat Microsoft's best? Am I wrong?

I think there is still many homes in NA without PS3's. Sony have to try to attract those potential buyers either next gen or now. somehow

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Duplicated.... read the next post... thanks

I can't understand all the claims in the OP because there is two quarters to end of the FY2012 yet.

kowenicki said: 

Individual formats

FY 2012 (to March 2013) will probably be the lowest year of Playstation Home console shipments since 1996.

FY 2012 (to March 2014) will probably be the lowest year of Playstation handheld shipments since their first full year on the market in 2005.

Combined shipments of Handheld and Consoles:

FY 2012 (to March 2013) will be the lowest sine FY 2000.

FY 2013 (to March 2014) will be the lowest since FY 1996.

I tired but I think this prediction game is too obscure for me.

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
kowenicki said:

Have we seen the best of Playstation as a brand?

I've said this many times; from roughly 96 to 06 the playstation didn't have much competition, sega insisted on shooting their own foot and nintendo never gained the momentum they had with the SNES.

But at this point the market is saturated with 3 strong brands. And amidst that competition the PS3 has been gaining market share quite rapidly in the last few years.

Your conclusion is actually irrelevant to your graf. The shipments are falling but the brand is recovering from the disastrous ps3 phat era.

The console market was much smaller before.  PS1 gen only like 150 million consoles were sold, and PS2 gen only like 200 million consoles were sold, now we're pushing 300+ easily.  There is a lot more room for competition, it's not really surprising that this happened.  This is the first time Sony had overlapping handhelds too, which should have helped but it hasn't.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Xeonidus said:
So basically Sony will still outsell Microsoft in shipments in it's worst year in a decade? Furthermore, Sony's worst home console will probably beat Microsoft's best? Am I wrong?

Sony is shipping 4 systems, Microsoft is shipping one.  360 has beaten PS3 in shipments multiple times, if you want to be SDF and add PSP and PS2 go ahead.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

deskpro2k3 said:

I think there is still many homes in NA without PS3's. Sony have to try to attract those potential buyers either next gen or now. somehow

I thi nk your right that many households in NA don't have one and probably in Japan too. Europe is where PS3 sells the best. It has room to grow in those markets.

johnsobas said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
kowenicki said:

Have we seen the best of Playstation as a brand?

I've said this many times; from roughly 96 to 06 the playstation didn't have much competition, sega insisted on shooting their own foot and nintendo never gained the momentum they had with the SNES.

But at this point the market is saturated with 3 strong brands. And amidst that competition the PS3 has been gaining market share quite rapidly in the last few years.

Your conclusion is actually irrelevant to your graf. The shipments are falling but the brand is recovering from the disastrous ps3 phat era.

The console market was much smaller before.  PS1 gen only like 150 million consoles were sold, and PS2 gen only like 200 million consoles were sold, now we're pushing 300+ easily.  There is a lot more room for competition, it's not really surprising that this happened.  This is the first time Sony had overlapping handhelds too, which should have helped but it hasn't.

Its Ironic that in the past there were more game systems competing for market share with a smaller market verus now with a bigger market and less compeition, interesting to note anyway. I just thought we have more competing systems in his era an not less, but the Ouya and the Steambox are coming, so maybe the number of systems will match the bigger market. As for handhelds, how many times Nintendo juggled overlapping handleds? 4 times now by my count, so why cannot Sony?

Well maybe we will see the ps4 next year? Maybe a December Japan release with a Feb-march release to the rest of the world.