By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation shipment history. Milestones incoming. PS4 required!

Nice work. I know it would take a while but could you add in Microsoft and Nintendo total shipments to that graph? (Microsoft is at a disadvantage there but it would still rock )

I wonder how they'll do next year? Vita should sell better and there'll be a PS4 to keep total sales up but PSP, PS2 and PS3 will be down YOY in FY 2013.

Around the Network

Vita is Vita.

PS2 is a 12 years old console and PS3 and PSP sales are showing signs of fatigue after 6-7 years in the market.

I don't see how this means PS brand is dying. But I do think PS4 will be a real test for Sony.

I don't think the Playstation brand will ever reach those high's ever again, but the brand is still very strong.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that the PS3 will dominate the next 2 years.

Well, if the PS4 is affordable, as Sony is aiming for, that graph will look a lot better in 2014, when we will have a ful year of PS4 shipments added to it. Vita should also receive a nice boost after it gets a $50 price cut.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ThatGreekGuy said:
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that the PS3 will dominate the next 2 years.

It will sell many millions less in the next two years than the last two and will face the WiiU on the rise and the next box and perhaps even the PS4. 

That's what I meant.

Similar pattern when the PS2 was slowing down, Vita sales will eventually pick up and PS4 will bring that line up. Nothing to worry about.

kowenicki said:
Gilgamesh said:

Similar pattern when the PS2 was slowing down, Vita sales will eventually pick up and PS4 will bring that line up. Nothing to worry about.

Huh? Not remotely similar. Lol. As evidenced by the fact that shipments will set new decade (more actually) long lows.

its all so easy isn't. PSV will def pick up and PS4 will def be a success. 

Yep. Price cut is coming for sure, probably early next year. Good lineup for the first half, just needs announcements for the second (which there is plenty of time for, and another Uncharted is a given) and it'll definitely do much better than this year. I am defining "much better" as 6-8 million units. 

PS4...? who knows. Those shipments still won't reach the heights of 2008, or even 2005. PS3 won't have the legs PS2 had and PS4 can't dominate next gen even if its the best system.

kowenicki said:
Gilgamesh said:

Huh? Not remotely similar. Lol. As evidenced by the fact that shipments will set new decade (more actually) long lows.

its all so easy isn't. PSV will def pick up and PS4 will def be a success. 

Going by the graph sales are only slightly below PS2's worst year (and before the release of the PSP), for a slowed down PS3, the PS2 (12 year old console), a dead PSP, and newly starting PSVita. 2013 could be a little lower, the PSP will probably be discontinued and sadly enough possibly the PS2, the PS3 will be selling less then 2012 or on par (with a price cut), and the PSVita will likely start picking up with a price cut as well and hopefully some killer games. PS4 should be announced in 2013 and then later release holiday 2013.

As for have we seen the best of the Playstation? the answer is an obvious no. Sony's never going to have another PS2.