By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WiiU launched pretty well

Tagged games:

The problem for Nintendo is I don't believe overall demand is high. Sure it'll sure well during the holidays, but so did the GameCube in 2001.

The Wii had pent up demand which meant every unit that hit storeshelves in Jan-March 2007 was basically as good as gone.

That's where I think Nintendo is going to have trouble, selling this system in Jan-March when the holiday honeymoon is over.

Around the Network
osed125 said:
ryuzaki57 said:
As I said in another thread, that means nothing because WiiU has a short-term strategy. Strong launch line-up to lure the core gamers (which failed), 2D Mario to appeal to the traditional fanbase and Nintendo Land + gimmicky controls to reach as many casual gamers as possible during the holiday season. In January WiiU's momentum will disappear like Cinderella's dress, to never return again because 3rd parties will ignore a system on which they sell nothing.

If WiiU can't get ahead of the competition now, it is doomed. PS3 and 360 have possible price cuts for next year, while WiiU's price was set as low as possible so as not to deter casual gamers. Also, PS3/360 launch comparisons make no sense since PS3 retailed for 599€ at launch, while a WiiU costs half that price. Needless to say, core gamers like 3rd parties will heavily favor PS4/X720, and future known multiplatform games are not coming to WiiU.

Therefore for WiiU, it's now or never. From the sales, it's clearly never.

Dooming the console based on 4 weeks of sales and only bad in one region...classic.

Based on this logic the PS3 would have been a failure a long time ago, horrendous price, no good third party support, etc.

Edit: also based on this logic the Vita is already another failure...

PS3 definitely had more room for improvement than WiiU has in the current situation. And yes, although it makes me sad, PSVita is failing.

Teriol said:
ryuzaki57 said:
As I said in another thread, that means nothing because WiiU has a short-term strategy. Strong launch line-up to lure the core gamers (which failed), 2D Mario to appeal to the traditional fanbase and Nintendo Land + gimmicky controls to reach as many casual gamers as possible during the holiday season. In January WiiU's momentum will disappear like Cinderella's dress, to never return again because 3rd parties will ignore a system on which they sell nothing.

If WiiU can't get ahead of the competition now, it is doomed. PS3 and 360 have possible price cuts for next year, while WiiU's price was set as low as possible so as not to deter casual gamers. Also, PS3/360 launch comparisons make no sense since PS3 retailed for 599€ at launch, while a WiiU costs half that price. Needless to say, core gamers like 3rd parties will heavily favor PS4/X720, and future known multiplatform games are not coming to WiiU.

what are you going to say when the future show something different? lol

In that case I'll simply say I was wrong. It's just my analysis, I may be mistaken.

osed125 said:
timmah said:
ryuzaki57 said:

First of all, you're clearly trolling. Secondly, what is a 'core gamer'? I'm so tired of that obsurd phrase. Do you have any idea how hardcore NSMBU is from a difficulty standpoint? Much harder then BLOPS2 (and I play both). Third, not a single thing you said makes any sense at all, it sold better worldwide in its first 4 weeks then the 360 & PS3 did, but it's doomed based on that data? Why, because you say so? You then go on to say you can't compare it to the PS3/360 launch because PS3 was expensive, ignoring the fact that the 360 was not. Does the fact that the WiiU had a good launch threaten your coregamerness so much that you just have to troll to feel core again? Maybe if your coregamerness was bigger, you wouldn't have to compensate by lashing out so hard when you feel it threatened.

EDIT: Also, the system sold that well without a huge Nintendo hit to drive sales (Zelda, Pikmin, or 3d Mario), imagine what will happen when the big guns get released by Nintendo.

But, I'm probably wrong, so go ahead and tell me the future oh wise oracle from the clan of 'coregamer'.

He's still mad because Nintendo took away Bayonetta 2 and also because Ayane appeared on the Ninja Gaiden 3 Wii U version. Those are the ones I remembered that really pissed him off.

I'm fine with Ayane. She is in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 after all, no hard feelings here. But I heard about Kasumi coming to WiiU owners who clearly don't give a sh** about NG, I must admit I lost my nerves.

ryuzaki57 said:
Teriol said:
ryuzaki57 said:

In that case I'll simply say I was wrong. It's just my analysis, I may be mistaken.

Wow, seems like you were pretty outraged when you wrote this article. I don´t get the hate for Nintendo in this post though. It is common praxis to have an exclusive character if a game with multiple characters releases on a new platform. I´ll have to agree that using Kasumi as the exclusive character is a little unfortunate though as she already semi-belongs to the franchise, they instead should have added a truly Nintendo-exclusive character like ZS-Samus, that would have fit the WiiU-version better.

Around the Network
osed125 said:

The Wii U is doing bad in Europe so that means is doing bad in all regions /Nintendo haters logic

Anyway thanks for the info, pretty good numbers so far.

Imagine if everyone said the 360 is doing bad just because it sucks in japan lol

People need to look at all the numbers before they judge.

timmah said:
ryuzaki57 said:

First of all, you're clearly trolling. Secondly, what is a 'core gamer'? I'm so tired of that obsurd phrase. Do you have any idea how hardcore NSMBU is from a difficulty standpoint? Much harder then BLOPS2 (and I play both). Third, not a single thing you said makes any sense at all, it sold better worldwide in its first 4 weeks then the 360 & PS3 did, but it's doomed based on that data? Why, because you say so? You then go on to say you can't compare it to the PS3/360 launch because PS3 was expensive, ignoring the fact that the 360 was not. Does the fact that the WiiU had a good launch threaten your coregamerness so much that you just have to troll to feel core again? Maybe if your coregamerness was bigger, you wouldn't have to compensate by lashing out so hard when you feel it threatened.

EDIT: Also, the system sold that well without a huge Nintendo hit to drive sales (Zelda, Pikmin, or 3d Mario), imagine what will happen when the big guns get released by Nintendo.

But, I'm probably wrong, so go ahead and tell me the future oh wise oracle from the clan of 'coregamer'.

Indeed, NSMBU and BLOPS2 offer different level of dedication. You can either play them time to time without aiming the top or trying to finish them from A to Z. In CoD for example, I never play in hard mode because I just want to experience the story. In multiplayer in the other hand, I play only sniper which is the trickiest weapon to use. "Hardcore" is a state of mind : you can play hardcore on WiiU (ZombiU comes to mind) but generally speaking those people tend to play on PS3/360 right now.

As for my "oracle", it's just my analysis. I gave arguments to support it and you are free not to share them. Btw how much did X360 cost at launch? Besides, Zelda, Pikmin or 3D Mario are not "huge" : if you look back at Wii software sales you'll see that 2D Mario or party/dance/fitness games sold WAY more. By the times the games you say come out, every Nintendo fan will have a WiiU already. The impact on hardware should be limited.

I really appreciate your sollicitude for my coregamerness but I'm really fine since 99% of the games I want are not for WiiU. I just don't like manufacturers throwing money at publishers all of a sudden to get exclusive content for series that have made their success elsewhere, in the sole purpose to sell more hardware.

KHlover said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Teriol said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Wow, seems like you were pretty outraged when you wrote this article. I don´t get the hate for Nintendo in this post though. It is common praxis to have an exclusive character if a game with multiple characters releases on a new platform. I´ll have to agree that using Kasumi as the exclusive character is a little unfortunate though as she already semi-belongs to the franchise, they instead should have added a truly Nintendo-exclusive character like ZS-Samus, that would have fit the WiiU-version better.

It would have been better indeed (after all they put Nintendo-like stuff in Tekken U). Joke aside I would be fine with this if only we PS3/360 owners, who have contributed to the success of the franchise, were given equal treatment. It being a common practice doesn't make it legitimate. Tecmo cannot just ignore the majority of its audience for some juicy exclusivity contract.

Mnementh said:
VGKing said:

WiiU - Good supply, fair price

Wii - Limited supply, affordable

PS3 - Good supply, $600)

X360 - Limited supply, expensive

These are factors that need to be looked at as well before considering the launch a success a failure or a success.

That is right, but it was the decision of Sony to launch at $600 and supply-constraints can also be avoided by producing a lot in before. That are all factors that play into the sales, but the sales in the end are the deciding factor if a launch was good or bad. If you apply your logic, you could say: Wii had no HD, that lowered sales, and PS3 had a Blu-Ray, without that extra value it would have sold even less.

You obviously don't understand, I'm saying price and supply are stuff we need to factor in when considering if a launch is successful or not.
This isn't the place to discuss whose fault it was to launch the PS3 at $600 or what features these consoles had....

What do you mean my logic? You're the one thats trying to make excuses for why some console sold what they sold, I'm not.

Another factor that we shoud look at is  what time of year these consoles launch.

ryuzaki57 said:
timmah said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Indeed, NSMBU and BLOPS2 offer different level of dedication. You can either play them time to time without aiming the top or trying to finish them from A to Z. In CoD for example, I never play in hard mode because I just want to experience the story. In multiplayer in the other hand, I play only sniper which is the trickiest weapon to use. "Hardcore" is a state of mind : you can play hardcore on WiiU (ZombiU comes to mind) but generally speaking those people tend to play on PS3/360 right now.

As for my "oracle", it's just my analysis. I gave arguments to support it and you are free not to share them. Btw how much did X360 cost at launch? Besides, Zelda, Pikmin or 3D Mario are not "huge" : if you look back at Wii software sales you'll see that 2D Mario or party/dance/fitness games sold WAY more. By the times the games you say come out, every Nintendo fan will have a WiiU already. The impact on hardware should be limited.

I really appreciate your sollicitude for my coregamerness but I'm really fine since 99% of the games I want are not for WiiU. I just don't like manufacturers throwing money at publishers all of a sudden to get exclusive content for series that have made their success elsewhere, in the sole purpose to sell more hardware.

I'm glad your coregamerness is ok now. :P I just think the 'core gamer' phrase is way to ambiguous and subjective. And franchises like Zelda, Pikmin, and 3d mario do sell very, very well... and they also move systems in a big way. A lot of fans of those franchises are waiting for those to come out before they get the WiiU.

In NSMBU, there is only hard mode, sometimes I find myself cursing those Japanese programmers.