By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U is being outsold by last gen consoles? And what of it?

Soundwave said:
I don't expect the Wii U to outsell the PS3/360 in 2013 either, it will likely stay in third place month to month.

It's the most expensive system.

It has the fewest games.

It's missing a lot of third party content (practically all the big third party games for the first half of next year are absent).

I don't see The Wonderful 101 or Pikmin 3 causing a hardware spike.

Nintendo could drop the price maybe next summer, but Sony/MS would likely respond by dropping the PS3/360 price too.

Yeah, there's a good chance of that.  We have Bioshock Infinite, another COD (of course) and frik'n GTAV coming out for very affordable consoles next year. 

The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 will undoubtedly be great, but they aren't going to move consoles in large numbers.  I don't know that they'd drop the price quite that soon (particularly with WiiU Fit coming) but Nintendo really has to step up its A-game and have some serious system sellers.  They absolutely cannot squander their lead so that they are well armed against the higher priced NeXtBox/PS4.

Around the Network

maybe:

Lol we can safely say the xbox was ever going to outsell the 360 once it launched :P

ryuzaki57 said:

You can't compare this transition with the former one.

First, PS3 retailed at 599€ at launch (360 I don't know but it must have been high). WiiU comes close to PS3 in price tag, which wasn't the case before because PS2 was already at 150€.

Secondly, PS2 was ultra-dominant during last gen whilst now there's a clear balance between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo in the home console market.

WiiU being behind the competition is a problem because Nintendo has a short-term strategy. Strong launch line-up to lure the core gamers (which failed), 2D Mario to appeal to the traditional fanbase and Nintendo Land + gimmicky controls to reach as many casual gamers as possible during the holiday season. In January WiiU's momentum will disappear like Cinderella's dress, to never return again because 3rd parties will ignore a system on which they sell nothing.

How are the the controls in nintendo land gimicky? i dislike when people throw that word around without any evidence to back up. Nintendo land is incredibly fun with a group of friends, the game is better with the gamepad. Play luigi's ghost mansion, animal crossing sweet day and mario chase with a group of people, then tell me the controls are gimmicky.

please stop with the gimmicky nonsense already.

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

Birimbau said:

maybe:

That really was the biggest mistake of the launch. I see why they had to do the Day-1 update, but it was too huge. This kind of negative publicity is just deadly. I know many people who´ll wait until the update is pre-installed before buying the WiiU.

Around the Network
think-man said:
Lol we can safely say the xbox was ever going to outsell the 360 once it launched :P

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

noname2200 said:
think-man said:
Lol we can safely say the xbox was never going to outsell the 360 once it launched :P

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Typo was ment to say "never".

it might be selling bad compared to the ps3 and 360 but its the # 1 selling next gen console on the market give it time and games start comeing out then people will be buying it. i know i be geting a wii u and a PS4

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Its normal...

osed125 said:
VGKing said:
WindyCityHeat said:

Let's be honest for a moment. Do you think ANYONE is going to remember wiiu once PS4/720 E3 rolls around lol...

We all know the answer to these questions, and in my case, many more!

I'm sure many will. Expect many comparison articles/threads of the launches.
I think the Xbox 720 will have the hardest time selling than the PS4. Why? The 360 is a monster in America and expect the mainstream to gift 360s instead of 720s for the first year or two.

I think the PS4 will be the one that suffers the most (expect in Europe), the Playstation brand is not really all that big in North America and Sony is slowly losing ground in Japan (specially in the handheld market, which could translate to the consoles). You may be right about the the 720 in the U.S but with good marketing that shouldn't be that much of a problem to MS.

America is where the PS4 can grow the most....XBox 720 will have a tough battle. Achieving XBox 360-level success will be difficult. Same goes for Wii U compared to Wii.
Sales don't necessarily carry over to the next generation....