By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U is being outsold by last gen consoles? And what of it?

think-man said:
noname2200 said:
think-man said:
Lol we can safely say the xbox was never going to outsell the 360 once it launched :P

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Typo was ment to say "never".

Gotcha. So you mean the original Xbox wasn't going to outsell the 360 on any given month, or just lifetime?

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
think-man said:
noname2200 said:
think-man said:
Lol we can safely say the xbox was never going to outsell the 360 once it launched :P

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Typo was ment to say "never".

Gotcha. So you mean the original Xbox wasn't going to outsell the 360 on any given month, or just lifetime?

Yeah I was quite vague lol happens when Im watching Family guy and looking through threads at the same time :P I ment at launch, saying that I doubt the xbox was ever gunna outsell the 360 at launch like the ps2 was outselling the ps3 at launch and how the wii is also nearly outselling the WiiU at launch.

gronk-bonk said:
ryuzaki57 said:

You can't compare this transition with the former one.

First, PS3 retailed at 599€ at launch (360 I don't know but it must have been high). WiiU comes close to PS3 in price tag, which wasn't the case before because PS2 was already at 150€.

Secondly, PS2 was ultra-dominant during last gen whilst now there's a clear balance between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo in the home console market.

WiiU being behind the competition is a problem because Nintendo has a short-term strategy. Strong launch line-up to lure the core gamers (which failed), 2D Mario to appeal to the traditional fanbase and Nintendo Land + gimmicky controls to reach as many casual gamers as possible during the holiday season. In January WiiU's momentum will disappear like Cinderella's dress, to never return again because 3rd parties will ignore a system on which they sell nothing.

How are the the controls in nintendo land gimicky? i dislike when people throw that word around without any evidence to back up. Nintendo land is incredibly fun with a group of friends, the game is better with the gamepad. Play luigi's ghost mansion, animal crossing sweet day and mario chase with a group of people, then tell me the controls are gimmicky.

please stop with the gimmicky nonsense already.

OK let's say innovative

think-man said:

Yeah I was quite vague lol happens when Im watching Family guy and looking through threads at the same time :P I ment at launch, saying that I doubt the xbox was ever gunna outsell the 360 at launch like the ps2 was outselling the ps3 at launch and how the wii is also nearly outselling the WiiU at launch.

Now I getcha! Although my understanding is that that may have happened, at least according to the scant NPD figures I've been able to see (Admittedly, the difference is statistically negligible, and the rest of the world may, or may not, make up the scant difference).

Of course, Xbox sales basically died in January 2006, but then again I expect Wii sales to do the same!

Not really a big deal. The real mark of success or failure for the Wii U will be about a year from now during the 2013 holiday season after the announcements of the PS4 and Xbox 3. Assuming either or both aren't available by then. With the 2014 rumors, who knows. 

The same thing happened to the Xbox 360 its first year of availability although many will remember that had a lot to do with supply constraint.

But if memory serves me correctly, the PS2 was outselling the 360 until after the PS3 debuted. It might have actually have been well after the PS3 debuted.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
think-man said:

Now I getcha! Although my understanding is that that may have happened, at least according to the scant NPD figures I've been able to see (Admittedly, the difference is statistically negligible, and the rest of the world may, or may not, make up the scant difference).

Of course, Xbox sales basically died in January 2006, but then again I expect Wii sales to do the same!

Xbox sales died because MS pulled the plug on production. 

Nintendo will most likely keep the Wii in production as a $99 product until software sales dry up completely.

noname2200 said:
think-man said:

So, noname, how do you feel about the Wii U and the direction Nintendo seems to be going at the moment?...do you think the system (and Nintendo) has strayed too far away from the fundamentals that made the Wii such a big phenomenon?

dsgrue3 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
dsgrue3 said:
sensebringer said:
Software sells hardware. Why buy a Wii U now when you can buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 for $100 - $150 less with a library of 6 years of great games and a lot of great games coming in 2013 like The Last of Us, God of War Ascencion, Gears of War and GTA V? As it was not fair to judge the systems mentioned in the OP for being outsold at launch, it is not fair for the Wii U. I hope you have this same stance if the PS4 is being outsold by the PS3 some weeks after launch. I really hope...

100-150 less?

Wii U - $300 or $350

PS3  - $240

?????? Range is $60 -$110 at the very best

If PS4 is $60-$110 more than the PS3 when it launches then it will sell gangbusters over the PS3. No idea where you're going with this...

Your dreaming in technicolour if your expecting a PS4 under $399.99. Unless Sony is going to try and compete in Nintendo's market this generation instead of going after M$ which is highly unlikely.

Where did I say I expect it to? (I don't) I just applied the current situation with Wii U to PS4 launch to show why my anology works and the PS2 one does not.

My apologies, I must have misread. I  do not believe that the PS4 would be able to sell that much more than the PS3 at launch, even if it had  a price gap similar to the Wii U. Now, I am basing on "if" the rumors are true about the hardware that is going to be implemented into it which would mean it's graphical capabilities will not be that much more substantial than the WIiU.

Wii U is PS3.5 at best, you think Sony will release a PS4 around the same specs as PS3? You are out of your mind. Take a moment and think about that. Moore's law.

Well, it seems you have either misread this time or assumed. Remember, assuming makes an ass out of you and me.  I never stated that the PS4 would be in similar specs to the PS3. I stated that it will not be substantially more powerful than the WiiU. At most, if the rumoured specs are true then we are only going to see a difference in graphics from what the xbox was compared to the PS2. It would also be foolish to call the WiiU PS3.5 (We will need at least a full year or two to see what the Wii U is capable of). Please take a moment to read next time before asking someone if they are out of their mind.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nintendo probably won't mind being the 'second system' for many core gamers and they'll get their own faithful userbase plus the some of the Wii converts to buy the system. The Wii U probably will sell about 35-40M without Nintendo trying barring some unforeseen disaster like their games becoming unpopular or utter brilliance from their competitor. We can only really adjust the mental totals upwards from there for pretty much anything good they do for the next 2-3 years if they can come out with some magic. The Wii U doesn't need to sell 100M consoles but it would be nice if it did whereas Microsoft and especially Sony probably need their sales to approach triple digits to make being in this business worthwhile.

Tease.

Even if the Wii U is in last place in the west, it'll be first place in Japan. It's got Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. Those games move systems and Nintendo's got the lockdown on those two series for both the 3DS and the Wii U.