By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U is being outsold by last gen consoles? And what of it?

You can't compare this transition with the former one.

First, PS3 retailed at 599€ at launch (360 I don't know but it must have been high). WiiU comes close to PS3 in price tag, which wasn't the case before because PS2 was already at 150€.

Secondly, PS2 was ultra-dominant during last gen whilst now there's a clear balance between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo in the home console market.

WiiU being behind the competition is a problem because Nintendo has a short-term strategy. Strong launch line-up to lure the core gamers (which failed), 2D Mario to appeal to the traditional fanbase and Nintendo Land + gimmicky controls to reach as many casual gamers as possible during the holiday season. In January WiiU's momentum will disappear like Cinderella's dress, to never return again because 3rd parties will ignore a system on which they sell nothing.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
dsgrue3 said:
sensebringer said:
Software sells hardware. Why buy a Wii U now when you can buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 for $100 - $150 less with a library of 6 years of great games and a lot of great games coming in 2013 like The Last of Us, God of War Ascencion, Gears of War and GTA V? As it was not fair to judge the systems mentioned in the OP for being outsold at launch, it is not fair for the Wii U. I hope you have this same stance if the PS4 is being outsold by the PS3 some weeks after launch. I really hope...

100-150 less?

Wii U - $300 or $350

PS3  - $240

?????? Range is $60 -$110 at the very best

If PS4 is $60-$110 more than the PS3 when it launches then it will sell gangbusters over the PS3. No idea where you're going with this...

Your dreaming in technicolour if your expecting a PS4 under $399.99. Unless Sony is going to try and compete in Nintendo's market this generation instead of going after M$ which is highly unlikely.

Where did I say I expect it to? (I don't) I just applied the current situation with Wii U to PS4 launch to show why my anology works and the PS2 one does not.

My apologies, I must have misread. I  do not believe that the PS4 would be able to sell that much more than the PS3 at launch, even if it had  a price gap similar to the Wii U. Now, I am basing on "if" the rumors are true about the hardware that is going to be implemented into it which would mean it's graphical capabilities will not be that much more substantial than the WIiU.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
dsgrue3 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
dsgrue3 said:
sensebringer said:
Software sells hardware. Why buy a Wii U now when you can buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 for $100 - $150 less with a library of 6 years of great games and a lot of great games coming in 2013 like The Last of Us, God of War Ascencion, Gears of War and GTA V? As it was not fair to judge the systems mentioned in the OP for being outsold at launch, it is not fair for the Wii U. I hope you have this same stance if the PS4 is being outsold by the PS3 some weeks after launch. I really hope...

100-150 less?

Wii U - $300 or $350

PS3  - $240

If PS4 is $60-$110 more than the PS3 when it launches then it will sell gangbusters over the PS3. No idea where you're going with this...

Your dreaming in technicolour if your expecting a PS4 under $399.99. Unless Sony is going to try and compete in Nintendo's market this generation instead of going after M$ which is highly unlikely.

Where did I say I expect it to? (I don't) I just applied the current situation with Wii U to PS4 launch to show why my anology works and the PS2 one does not.

My apologies, I must have misread. I  do not believe that the PS4 would be able to sell that much more than the PS3 at launch, even if it had  a price gap similar to the Wii U. Now, I am basing on "if" the rumors are true about the hardware that is going to be implemented into it which would mean it's graphical capabilities will not be that much more substantial than the WIiU.

Wii U is PS3.5 at best, you think Sony will release a PS4 around the same specs as PS3? You are out of your mind. Take a moment and think about that. Moore's law.

archbrix said:
Yep, just common sense really. Next holiday when WiiU has a more robust library and possibly even a $50 price drop, we'll see how well it sells against the new consoles.

In Europe, you already have a $ 50 price drop (more or less). I saw Deluxes at € 320.

dsgrue3 said:
sensebringer said:
dsgrue3 said:
sensebringer said:
dsgrue3 said:
sensebringer said:

100-150 less?

Wii U - $300 or $350

PS3  - $240

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-4GB-Console/dp/B003O6JKLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356123392&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+360+arcade

Did I only talk about the PS3 in my post? 

Xbox 360 Arcade $199 - Wii U $300 =100 diference

Xbox360 Arcade $199 - Wii U deluxe $350 = 150 diference

$150 - $100

Your Sony bias is making you blind.

So, you're only comparing to the 360 despite mentioning both in your post?

You realize PS3 sales are vastly superior to Wii U as well, despite its relatively close price?

haha, absurd logic.

I am talking about two systems . The lowest price of one of them $199. I am talking about the Wii U wich lowest price is $299 and the highest price is $350. I said you could get a PS3 or Xbox 360 for$100 - $150 less than the Wii U. 

And you only mentioned the PS3 on purpose when I mentioned both just to continue your agenda.

Master of Absurd logic.

You aren't getting it. A system that is a generation older than Wii U which is selling for nearly the same price, is almost doubling Wii U's sales. 

You range is still flawed, should be $60-150, in that case, not $100-150. 

You are the one who is not gettting it. It does not matter. As others  have already said. It always has been this way the first months of a new hardware.  It has happened always and it will continue happening. 

I say that the reasons are:

1) The PS3 and 360 are cheaper than the Wii U.

2) They have a strong library of games.

3) They have great games coming to them in 2013.

4) A $50 price diference is really important. Just ask the Vita an the 3DS.

5) It is always that way with new hardware on the market. 

We can find your take on why the PS3 and 360 are outselling the Wii U in your first post in this tread that:

"Console is dated. They fooled us with a gimmick once, but never again. Sales will reflect that."

And I am the ilogical one. 

You win.

Around the Network
selnor said:
Mazty said:
gigantor21 said:

I've been seeing people here and on other sites citing how the Wii U is still selling below other consoles as proof that it's not going to do well. Wanting to confirm whether or not it sounded like the fanboy hyperbole it came off as, I went back and looked at some articles about sales around '06 and '07. I found some intriguing articles:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/71065-PS2-Sales-Hold-Strong-Drive-Sales-For-Q1-2007

"The PlayStation 2 sold 280,000 units in March, the final month of Q1 2007, more than doubling the 130,000 unit sales of the PlayStation 3, Sony's next-gen system. In fact, the PlayStation 2 handily outsold all of its next-gen brethren in March: Microsoft put out 199,000 Xbox 360 systems, while Nintendo sold 259,000 Wii consoles, although this number was cut short by supply shortages."

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/09/14/360_finally_overtakes_ps2_in_us_sales/1

"Microsoft's Xbox 360 had finally outsold Sony's Playstation 2. These numbers only account for one month but it's bound to make the Microsoft guys happy. Sony has trumpeted the fact that the PS2 has outsold the 360 ever since its launch."

Note that the second article was posted in September of '07--almost TWO YEARS after the 360 launched. 

Look, I get it. I never bought a Wii. Right now, I'm content to wait for what MS and Sony are offering next year, and don't have any plans to buy a Wii U right now. But this nonsense about how "oh, the Wii U is selling less than current-gen consoles, its clearly fucked" is ridiculous. You can just look at the early years of this generation as proof that it doesn't mean anything in the long run. After all, people said the Wii being weaker would keep it from going anywhere, motion controls be damned, and look how that worked out.

If the numbers cited above are wrong, and you have proof, then post them and let me see. Otherwise, just let it go.

Comparing sales from 6+ years ago to today is ludicrous due to economic change as well as the surge of tech that has occured. 

You are forgetting that the Wii U is DIRECTLY competing against the 360 and PS3 rather then truly being next gen as the games it offers are on par with the current generation. When the 360 was released, there was Forza 3 which clearly demonstrated the 360 as a superior console in terms of tech. Currently the Wii U has no such game, and with things like Cross Play, it really is hard to argue that the Wii U is not directly competing againt the 360 and PS3. That is why it's sales are being directly compared to the PS3 and 360 rather then looking at them independently. 

Cmon. Forza 3 didnt come out till 4 years after 360 release. However games like Kameo, Condemned and PGR 3 clearly showed 360>>>>>>>>>>>>> over xbox,ps2,gc.

My mistake; I meant PGR 3. 

Mnementh said:

WiiU sold 88% of what the Wii sold in the same timeframe. Remember the Wii, that won last gen. The WiiU launch is by far better than the launch of the PS3 and X360 was. So no, it need no more time. It does well with the exception of europe. But the XBOX also got to 70 million without Japan, and it is not THAT bad for the WiiU in europe. So spin all you want, but the WiiU is no failure as hope it is.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151739

Not only that, the Wii U is nearly double the price the Wii launched at. It's getting pathetic that there is so much hate on products on this site now. We should be celebrating gaming, not wishing it's doom.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Mnementh said:

WiiU sold 88% of what the Wii sold in the same timeframe. Remember the Wii, that won last gen. The WiiU launch is by far better than the launch of the PS3 and X360 was. So no, it need no more time. It does well with the exception of europe. But the XBOX also got to 70 million without Japan, and it is not THAT bad for the WiiU in europe. So spin all you want, but the WiiU is no failure as hope it is.

Not only that, the Wii U is nearly double the price the Wii launched at. It's getting pathetic that there is so much hate on products on this site now. We should be celebrating gaming, not wishing it's doom.

Quoted for truth.

famousringo said:
What's important is that the Nintendo Family is doing much better than the competition.

(Tongue in cheek.)

This comment takes me back! Sony PR at its best.

Signature goes here!

MikeRox said:
Mnementh said:

PREACH IT!