By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 in beta; AMD HD 8000M to power next-gen consoles?

dahuman said:
HoloDust said:
dahuman said:

power=/=performance, please update your original post.

I think it's pretty much obvious when you see "powerful" that it doesn't have anything to do with card's TDP ;)

You can repalce an engine with twice the horse power in a car but that won't make it go twice as fast depending on how much the laws of physics or other factors will work against it after a certain level, it's the same idea. If you want to be absolutely correct and certain about posting anything tech related, you want to be precise with your words so people won't nitpick like I'm doing now.

Yeah, I see you decided to nitpick (for whatever reason), but when it's talked about graphics cards and CPUs it's common to say something like "twice as powerful", and everybody will understand (except, obviously, for those who want to nitpick).

That said, 7970 is 3x as powerful as 7870m.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
Soleron said:

I've seen so much of those 8xxxM slides on VGC I'm beginning to wonder if AMD has viral marketers.

There's been no new information on 720/PS4 for about six months. Still nothing new. Yet the terrible articles continue.

Not sure it matters though, even if they use something like a 8800M which is pretty current tech per say, it'd be at about 1/3 the power of an unlocked 6950, yet people are talking shit about how weak the Wii U is when I keep saying they'll all be weak no matter what lol.....

1/3 of the speed of a 6950, well 6970 since you said "unlocked" is still much faster than the Wii U.

dahuman said:

that's a marketing ploy, they are the exact same shit.

Nope but  I have to get a bus now... so tomorrow I explain to you .

riderz13371 said:

Alright I know nothing about graphics card or whatever but if this was true and next gen consoles were powered by AMD HD 8000M, is this a good graphics card? Like say would it be able to run Battlefield 3 at ultra settings?

Not in 1080p (8870m should be somewhere between 7750 and 7770)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_hd_7750_and_7770_review,21.html

fillet said:
dahuman said:
Soleron said:

I've seen so much of those 8xxxM slides on VGC I'm beginning to wonder if AMD has viral marketers.

There's been no new information on 720/PS4 for about six months. Still nothing new. Yet the terrible articles continue.

Not sure it matters though, even if they use something like a 8800M which is pretty current tech per say, it'd be at about 1/3 the power of an unlocked 6950, yet people are talking shit about how weak the Wii U is when I keep saying they'll all be weak no matter what lol.....

1/3 of the speed of a 6950, well 6970 since you said "unlocked" is still much faster than the Wii U.

oh I'm sure it will be faster than a Wii U, just not the exaggerated amount that people were making it out to be, the tech would be much closer, the difference will be the raw power aspect naturally.

Around the Network
z101 said:
It seems obvious that Xbox3/PS4 will only be slightly more powerful than Wii U if all these rumors of the past weeks are true.

Wouldn't say that's quite the case. The Wii U GPU is really old tech, I can't see MS/Sony going anywhere near that level for their next gen stuff, you have to think that it's going to be basically another year until this stuff comes out.

I'm thinking 6950/6970 level, which is fine and we shouldn't have stuff like RROD to think about as a consequence either because of it.

dahuman said:
fillet said:
dahuman said:
Soleron said:

oh I'm sure it will be faster than a Wii U, just not the exaggerated amount that people were making it out to be, the tech would be much closer, the difference will be the raw power aspect naturally.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that.

Was hoping the next Xbox/PS would plonk in some current gen desktop GPU type architecture but it doesn't look like that's to be.

Still, I'm expecting something along the lines of the power of a 6950/6970 when all is said and done, which although might not be cutting edge, it's reasonable enough.

fillet said:

Still, I'm expecting something along the lines of the power of a 6950/6970 when all is said and done, which although might not be cutting edge, it's reasonable enough.

Well, that's just about performance of 7970m - a lot of people are expecting (or at least hoping) for that.

If what Kotick said is true, it seems the 720 will be the first out in 2013.

ethomaz said:

dahuman said:

that's a marketing ploy, they are the exact same shit.

Nope but  I have to get a bus now... so tomorrow I explain to you .

dood, you didn't even spell it correctly, let along trying to explain it to me, tech talk with you is one of the most painful things on this forum because you are off the mark about 95% of the time.