By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 in beta; AMD HD 8000M to power next-gen consoles?

D-Joe said:

Nextbox won't use any chip you already know,it will like Xenos
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1687307&postcount=16562

Like Xenos as in (AMD) custom chip, not Xenos as in IBM.

Around the Network
dahuman said:

power=/=performance, please update your original post.

I think it's pretty much obvious when you see "powerful" that it doesn't have anything to do with card's TDP ;)

Soleron said:
D-Joe said:

Nextbox won't use any chip you already know,it will like Xenos
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1687307&postcount=16562

Like Xenos as in (AMD) custom chip, not Xenos as in IBM.

IBM is Xenon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor)

It seems obvious that Xbox3/PS4 will only be slightly more powerful than Wii U if all these rumors of the past weeks are true.

HoloDust said:
dahuman said:

power=/=performance, please update your original post.

I think it's pretty much obvious when you see "powerful" that it doesn't have anything to do with card's TDP ;)

You can repalce an engine with twice the horse power in a car but that won't make it go twice as fast depending on how much the laws of physics or other factors will work against it after a certain level, it's the same idea. If you want to be absolutely correct and certain about posting anything tech related, you want to be precise with your words so people won't nitpick like I'm doing now.

Around the Network
SxyxS said:
power efficiency to be the main target for next gen?I don't think so.

with power efficience you won't sell new consoles when the graphics look only slightly better than current gen and there would be no real need for some new chips.By optimizing the ps360 cpu/gpu and more transistors you may reach twice the power and power efficiency of the current gen and you can keep most of the ps360 production facilities=no need for this amd mobile chip.
the only interessting thing;if this mobile chip is really more powerful than the wii u than its big brother(immobile pc chip)could be a very powerful monster and very useful for the next gen.

Absolutely false.

There is no where near as much in the change in power as their is in the change of technologies available. They will be similar to the WiiU in that they are relatively small power upgrades, but also like the WiiU they will add a lot of new technologies (DX11 similar stuff) as well as newer architecture that will allow bigger changes on items that are not as apparent as simple visual fluff.

Theres a lot more to a game than just pretty pictures.

Additionally, once these consoles come out ... where do you think all the new games will go, and thus the buyers of new consoles. One truth always remains.... if your only focus is the best possible graphics, then why the hell do you game on a console?

Alright I know nothing about graphics card or whatever but if this was true and next gen consoles were powered by AMD HD 8000M, is this a good graphics card? Like say would it be able to run Battlefield 3 at ultra settings?

dahuman said:
Even if true, we are talking about a pretty low spec 7xxx series chip, since 8xxxm is based off those.

The 8xxxM is GNC2... not GNC1.

riderz13371 said:

Alright I know nothing about graphics card or whatever but if this was true and next gen consoles were powered by AMD HD 8000M, is this a good graphics card? Like say would it be able to run Battlefield 3 at ultra settings?

I'm afraid not, even if they put something like an 8970m in there, it won't run BF3 Ultra at 1080p 60FPS, 30FPS would be entirely doable with that part, though I'd hate to think about how much higher the cost would be.

ethomaz said:
dahuman said:
Even if true, we are talking about a pretty low spec 7xxx series chip, since 8xxxm is based off those.

The 8xxxM is GNC2... not GNC1.

that's a marketing ploy, they are the exact same shit.