By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ announed it has filed for bankrupcy

VetteDude said:
the2real4mafol said:
VetteDude said:
the2real4mafol said:
Great yet another game company going bankrupt!

Because of lazy business practices.

Its still bad though, whatever THQ did wrong. I just hope if THQ does go it franchises especially Saints Row live on

THQ will even live on. This is a Chapter 11. It could go south in court and end up being a liquidation, but the franchises definitely will live on (Well Saints Row will, THQ doesn't have many other goodies since they destroyed Red Faction)

They haven't destroyed Red Faction as far as I'm aware. The IP still exists and is theirs as far as i know.

I can see Saints Row being snapped up by any one of EA, Activision, Sony or Microsoft and Darksiders will end up in Nintendo's hands.

Around the Network

I wonder if their IPs do go up for sale will any of the big three make some moves?

Kresnik said:
Vinniegambini said:
This is really sad. It makes me wonder if Sony and Microsoft will push out powerful machines and if publishers will follow suit as they are already having a hard time to even break even with this generation.

Wasn't uDraw for PS3/360 a lot of the cause of their current financial troubles?  Quite the opposite of high-spec game development.

Although I'm sure that didn't help either.

Yea those and Homefront. Game sold 2.5 million but i doubt if they made any big money on that. They really spend quite a lot on marketing that game. Last gen a game could sell 100,000 copies and break even and for some bigger ones it was half a million. Now it's 4-5 times that. Will be very interesting to see how easy the next gen sony and microsoft consoles are to develop and also how much do unified engined like UE4 and others cut development time. 

If the trend continies it doesn't help anyone except big AAA games. 

I blame the Wii. The Wii is the cause of all the problems in the game industry.

Tease.

I really hope the Warhammer 40K IP goes to a good developer. Ideally for me it would be creative assembly at Sega or any of the good Sony studios.

Around the Network
Gunman121 said:
Did anyone read the article? The people bought them out, so that way they would continue to have operating money and no debt.

Assuming it goes through, THQ comes out a stronger company.

THQ will definitely not come out a stronger company.  At least not an independent one:

"We have incredible, creative talent here at THQ," said THQ President Jason Rubin. "We look forward to partnering with experienced investors for a new start as we will continue to use our intellectual property assets to develop high-quality core games, create new franchise titles, and drive demand through both traditional and digital channels."

Clearlake is a "stalking horse bidder" which gives other parties a chance to provide a higher big.

What is a "Stalking Horse Bidder"?  Answer: 

"An initial bid on a bankrupt company's assets from an interested buyer chosen by the bankrupt company. From a pool of bidders, the bankrupt company chooses the stalking horse to make the first bid."

And, what does that do?  Answer:

"This method allows the distressed company to avoid low bids on its assets. Once the stalking horse has made its bid, other potential buyers may submit competing bids for the bankrupt company's assets. In essence, the stalking horse sets the bar so that other bidders can't low-ball the purchase price." 

That means THQ will be bought by someone.  They just got Clearlake Capital Group to put up the first bid at $60 million, so that no company could obtain THQ's assets for less than $60 million. 

As with film and music industry, at the end only few majors will remain, with few smaller companies also trying to compete. I think games industry will be fine.

Nintendo should snipe funding of Devil's Third.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

snowdog said:
VetteDude said:
the2real4mafol said:
VetteDude said:
the2real4mafol said:
Great yet another game company going bankrupt!

Because of lazy business practices.

Its still bad though, whatever THQ did wrong. I just hope if THQ does go it franchises especially Saints Row live on

THQ will even live on. This is a Chapter 11. It could go south in court and end up being a liquidation, but the franchises definitely will live on (Well Saints Row will, THQ doesn't have many other goodies since they destroyed Red Faction)

They haven't destroyed Red Faction as far as I'm aware. The IP still exists and is theirs as far as i know.

I can see Saints Row being snapped up by any one of EA, Activision, Sony or Microsoft and Darksiders will end up in Nintendo's hands.

No they destroyed the reputation with RF: Armageddon.

Not good 2 see :(

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector