By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No console has ever been announced at E3. Why Xbox 720 and PS4 will be announced before E3

With the recent rumor of the NeXbox being announced at E3 I could be wrong O.o Still though I'm sticking with my March/May announcement prediction.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

With my latest thread I see a lot of people don't believe the next gen consoles will be announced before E3.  This makes no sense to me what so ever.  When has E3 ever been known to announce a new console?  That is right, think about it, they don't.  They give details about the new console they just announced, but they do not announce it at E3.  Look at this list below.

Original XBOX was announced in may of 2000 by Bill Gates

Xbox 360 was announced on MTV in May of 2005 and then released that november

PS2 was announced in March of 1999

PS3 was announced in May of 2005

PSV was announced in January 2011

WiiU was announced April 25, 2011

Gamecube Successor (Wii Codenamed Revolution) Was announced March 2005

Nintendo DS was announced January 2004

3DS was announced on March 23 2010

Gameboy Advance was announced on September 1, 1999

Do you see a pattern here? E3 is when they give details, not announce.  

E3 is generally more of a line on the calendar before.  While people don't expect an announcement at E3, what is expected to be seeing is an announcement BY E3, or not seeing a game released during the year E3 was out.  E3 will often fill in with details though.

Guess I should start saving up money for the 720 then this year.

Countdown to E3 on Major Nelsons blog

http://majornelson.com/2013/01/02/countdown-to-e3-2013/

Countdown on M$ site.

Sony announced Destination PlayStation 2013, to happen 25th Feb. I guess they'll show PS4 there and cut the Vita price.

Around the Network

Just want to take a moment and let everybody know that so far ive been right XD Although i think MSFT might prove me wrong :/

It occured to me that PS4 could be announced this year but not released until next year O_O

Could be wrong, just talking out of my ass, but PS3 was announced in 2005 and released in 2006. PS3 was actually initially planned for a Spring 2006 release but delayed to fall.

Seeing as how PS3 hasn't yet reached the magic 199 price point, it would essentially cut those sales legs short if PS4 did release this year.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
It occured to me that PS4 could be announced this year but not released until next year O_O

Could be wrong, just talking out of my ass, but PS3 was announced in 2005 and released in 2006. PS3 was actually initially planned for a Spring 2006 release but delayed to fall.

Seeing as how PS3 hasn't yet reached the magic 199 price point, it would essentially cut those sales legs short if PS4 did release this year.

Im still sceptical if PS4 will in deed be release this year to be honest. Im a bit surprised to be honest that it has a possibilty of coming this year but im glad to see the next gen get rolling too

M.U.G.E.N said:
Yep all things hinting at a pre E3 reveal as well. I wouldn't be surprised if sony announces a new PS Meeting and have it within 2-3 weeks of it's announcement. Exciting times ahead for us gamers. Been hearing promising things about the xbox as well.

Good call!

Update: PS4 was announced February 20th and NeXbox is announced May 21st. The trend continues of not announcing a console at E3. See I called it XD