By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - POKEMON Which Generation brought more to the table?

Which Gen brought the best in pokemon

Gen 1 26 32.10%

Gen 2 25 30.86%

Gen 3 15 18.52%

Gen 4 5 6.17%

Gen 5 7 8.64%

?Soon to be Gen 6? 3 3.70%

Total:81

Although Gen 1 will always be the one I hold closest to my heart (my entire childhood revolved around Pokemon Red & Yellow), I think Gen 2 fixed a lot of the issues with Gen 1. Firstly, the introduction of Dark and Steel types REALLY helped in balancing out the game. Then they introduced held items, many more attacking moves, the ability to Surf without opening the menu (god I hated that in gen 1), and it also had the longest single player mode, even though I think the Kanto portion was a bit rushed. All in all Gen 1 is the greatest because it introduced Pokemon, but Gen 2 really fixed a lot of the issues with it.

Around the Network

Generation 1 obviously introduced and did the most for the series; voting for any other option would be silly.

That being said, I feel like Gold/Silver really took the Pokemon game and improved upon it in every way. World layout, gameplay, pokemon types and where they're found throughout the game, story, music, etc. It's one of the most beautiful games ever made and still my favorite pokemon experience to this day. I've slowly lost interest in pokemon every generation since then. =/

But I still play Red and Silver every so often.

Gen 2 and Gen 3 from a competative metagame standpoint.

Gen 2 added:

Breeding (also Genders and Baby pokemon)

Steel and Dark types

Equipable Items

Poke'rus

Shiny Pokemon

IV's inheritance

Gen 3 added:

Abilities

Natures

Weather Conditions

Double Battles

International Trading

EV, IV, and Shiny Pokemon system overhaul (nearly same system today)

Upgrade to 60 FPS (been that way ever since)

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Gen 1 and 2 will always be the best. I never liked the gen 3 and 4 games, but I really enjoyed Black/White so I will say that gen 5 make me like the franchise again, still need to play Black and White 2 though.

Nintendo and PC gamer

BasilZero said:
Fanbase wise the first and second generation.

Content wise the second generation and third generation

Storyline wise the fifth generation.

Fourth generation was just crap imo.

Pretty much this.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network

osed125 said:
Gen 1 and 2 will always be the best. I never liked the gen 3 and 4 games, but I really enjoyed Black/White so I will say that gen 5 make me like the franchise again, still need to play Black and White 2 though.

Black/White 2is a must have its the best third installment in a gen. New story mode, revisiting (if you played black/white) and seeing the difference in two years, added feats...

Definetly get it! The World Tournamentbis good but the Movie make thing sucks, rather they bring contest than that garbage!

BasilZero said:
Fanbase wise the first and second generation.

Content wise the second generation and third generation

Storyline wise the fifth generation.

Fourth generation was just crap imo.

Story was good in both 5th gen games, only thing 4th gen did was get forget pokemon back in the game (eletebuzz, piloswine, Glalie) with evos or cross evos

While you're all poo-pooing Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, I'll just say that it brought some great features.

1. Brought back the Day/Night system from Pokemon Gold/Silver.
2. An attack's physical/special nature was no longer dependent on the actual type (Fire attacks are always special, Fighting attacks are always physical etc). This had a huge effect on the competitive game, and really helped Dark types, who were usually given high Attack stats (despite Dark being a "Special" typing before Diamond/Pearl).
3. Awesome new evolutions of previously forgotten Pokemon. Weavile, Rhyperior, Leafeon, Porygon-Z, Mamoswine, Gliscor, Togekiss, etc.

It definitely is the least-revolutionary Pokemon game out there, but I still think it's better than Gen III. The new batch of Pokemon were the lamest of the gens and Pokemon Contests can die a horrible death. *pats Black/White on the head for getting rid of them*

Gen 2 for me. Gold and Silver took what was incredible and made it perfect. For me, the only games I need are Gen 1&2

My favorite has got to be 1st gen, every gen after that I liked less and less and by the looks of the pokemon sales im not the only one.