By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What DO we want Retro to be working on? Seems like we want a new Metroid/new IP/new Star Fox!

Retro is working on...

A new Metroid! 42 30.43%

Zelda!!1! 8 5.80%

A new Donkey Kong game! 8 5.80%

bringing back Star Fox! 33 23.91%

A brand new awesome IP! 38 27.54%

Something else, namely... 3 2.17%

Meh... Kirby perhaps? I j... 5 3.62%

Total:137

Metroid, of course. I want to see them take the skills they learned in Donkey Kong Country Returns and apply them to a brand new 2D Metroid.

I'm just thinking about what they could do with the 2D layers in Metroid where going through a hole sends you into the background, or even the foreground. If anyone knows a way to make that work seamlessly, it's Retro.

Around the Network

Metroid, so I can forget the atrocity that is Other M. What a crappy game.

gigaSheik said:

stfu - MOM was a great game. Who the hell plays Metroid for the story anyways?

I want a new Metroid because Retro is so damn good at it. In reality, I'll be happy with almost anything they put out.

superchunk said:
gigaSheik said:

stfu - MOM was a great game. Who the hell plays Metroid for the story anyways?

I want a new Metroid because Retro is so damn good at it. In reality, I'll be happy with almost anything they put out.

Gameplay wise, it's absolutely a great Metroid game.  They really nail screw attack, speed run, and the morph ball puzzles.  The story is so terrible, though, that the mention of the game gives me a bad reaction.  I'd like to see the game removed from the canon, as it neuters what was once a strong female character.  I don't play Metroid (or really any game for that matter) for its story, but when the story is so bad that it makes me cringe it can be a deal breaker.

I love the way Retro handled the story:  Here's a deep mythology involving several races and several planets and our mighty heroine, Samus Aran.  If you care enough about it, do your own research (within the game), otherwise we'll keep it limited to a few minor cutscenes. Sakamoto's involvement with the series brings up so many bad puns I won't bother to list, but let's just say I hope they keep him and his bag of wacky weed away from the next title. 

i can't consider a character totally devoid of any emotional response a strong lead in any manner. Loved other M. Finally got to see some substance from samus. It was definately flawed. but i loved it. But i digress. backt to the topic. once again i'd love to see eternal darkness 2

Around the Network
CarcharodonKraz said:
i can't consider a character totally devoid of any emotional response a strong lead in any manner. Loved other M. Finally got to see some substance from samus. It was definately flawed. but i loved it. But i digress. backt to the topic. once again i'd love to see eternal darkness 2

You are my hero. Completely agree.

I think critics and fans expected Samus to be as cold, emotionless, and faceless as her power suit might imply, but underneath is a woman with emotional baggage, just like everyone else.

A Metroid. I want a Metroid that has some horror like Dead Space implementing superd graphics.!!!

Retro Studios project is my #1 most wanted game.

Eternal Darkness 2
New IP's
Metroid Prime 4
Eternal Darkness 2
Super Metroid Returns
Donkey Kong Country Returns 2
Donkey Kong 640
Eternal Darkness 2
Newer Super Mario Bros.
Eternal Darkness 2

They better start expanding...

JEMC said:

I don't know what "we" want them to do, and going by the answers here, it's obvious that everyone has an opinion.

What I would like to see from them is a new, westernized IP. Mind you, it's not necessary to be a shooter or an FPS.

The perfect game for me would be a mix of an adventure game with good, "realistic" graphics to show what the console like Uncharted with a bit of RPG to make our character grow not only in terms of health points but also with what can it do (like being able to jump longer/higher, etc) and elements from Zelda/Metroid (finding tools/upgrades, the different, thematic "temples" and revisiting old areas with the new abilities).

We know that they are able to make very good looking games, and they have also proved that they know how to design levels in an engaging and challenging way. I'm sure they could make a game like this with success.

Yeah, that DOES sound like a potentially awesome game!! If they're doing a new IP I hope it's something like this!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I want a new Metroid Prime, but if Retro is tired of Metroid I would love to get a new on rails Star Fox. No free flight, no tactics, no on foot levels, just pure classic Star Fox shooting action fun.