By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U is now 1 month old and has sold 1.8 million units. How is it doing?

How has the Wii U performed so far?

It's doing spectacular! I'm blown away! 126 10.09%

It's doing really good, can't complain. 418 33.47%

It's doing good, not as ... 269 21.54%

Could have been better... 176 14.09%

It's doing poorly; Wii did much better! 127 10.17%

Still can't believe they... 133 10.65%

Total:1,249

Yup, there's another investor's briefing next month so we'll probably have something announced or teased then.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

OT: Its doing right along the lines where I imagined; pretty good but no where near the Wii. The 5.5 million Nintendo forecast by March 2013 is looking difficult though, unless demand shoots up in Europe and the Wii U somehow defies the February/March drops that hit every year this seems like a rather lofty goal right now.

Well, actually, it's not selling too far behind... I think it's like 100k or something?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

SunofKratos said:
Well i totally agree. A lot of Wii U future success depending on how much suppoirt it will get and what Microsoft and Sony will over for thge next gen. Right now its impossible to judge if the Wii U will be a failure or a success. Only time will tell us the answer.

Yeah, pretty much this.

snowdog said:
Yup, there's another investor's briefing next month so we'll probably have something announced or teased then.

Sounds good! I hope we get some kind of news there :D

DanneSandin said:
SunofKratos said:
Well i totally agree. A lot of Wii U future success depending on how much suppoirt it will get and what Microsoft and Sony will over for thge next gen. Right now its impossible to judge if the Wii U will be a failure or a success. Only time will tell us the answer.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Yeah. As someone rooting for Nintendo's success, I am hoping that the remainder of this year before the unveilment of the nextbox/ps4/whatever will be dedicated to aggressively pushing out games (don't you dare delay pikmin 3 more, nintendo!) and securing more 3rd party ports, if not exclusives... 

E3 2013. Gon' be a big deal for the future of the gaming industry. 

Around the Network

From experience I've seen that teases of new games don't really do much to spur sales.

Actual game releases or price drops do, not "well look at these games we have coming six months from now".

Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 were unveiled months beforehand for example and didn't help 3DS sales.

Showing more on next year's lineup couldn't hurt, but I don't think it will actually have much tangible impact on sales.

They need a game that actually is releasing in the 1st half of 2013 to drive sales, not the promise of future games.

I also think it's a far bigger question to ask "what content does Nintendo have upcoming that appeals to non-Nintendo fans for Wii U?". 

They either need to make headway with casuals (so Wii Fit U has to be a blockbuster and can't go the way of Nintendogs + cats and Oni Training on 3DS, where those trends fizzled out) or with non-Nintendo core players (so Rayman or The Wonderful 101 needs to be a blockbuster hit bringing in non-Nintendo fans). Otherwise, they are headed for GameCube-Land .... a system supported mostly by Nintendo enthusiasts and ignored by everyone else. 

runqvist said:
Viper1 said:

Quite possibly the most arbitrary measure of success I think I have ever heard.  Zero context. 

Don't be silly. Business is meant to grow and since none of the big three for example provide profit information for their single products, sales numbers are the way to go. I know you don't like to compare wii u to wii, but you have to live with it because that is what is going to happen. 

MSFT by your definition has been failing quite miserably haven't they?  Windows 8 < Windows 7, major doomed.  Zunes iPod wanna be...doomed.  Microsoft Store < Apple Stores.  Surface < iPads.  Microsoft contributes very little innovation but does a good job at eroding profits for true innovators.  Your small ego cannot withstand the success of Nintendo that to me is also a Failure.  Doesn't matter what you say, my definition of you is Failed Xbox Fanboy.  I own MSFT, Sony, Apple, Android and Nintendo platforms, love them all, oh yeah PC gaming is fun too.  You can stay miserable watching MSFT trying to copy Apple, Nintendo or even Sony next.  I have no problem with your blue screen state of mind.  Just try to press cntl-alt-del once in a while cuz you need to flush out some of that hate and learn to respect others' accomplishments more.  What have you accomplished?

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Tarumon said:
runqvist said:
Viper1 said:

Quite possibly the most arbitrary measure of success I think I have ever heard.  Zero context. 

Don't be silly. Business is meant to grow and since none of the big three for example provide profit information for their single products, sales numbers are the way to go. I know you don't like to compare wii u to wii, but you have to live with it because that is what is going to happen. 

MSFT by your definition has been failing quite miserably haven't they?  Windows 8 < Windows 7, major doomed.  Zunes iPod wanna be...doomed.  Microsoft Store < Apple Stores.  Surface < iPads.  Microsoft contributes very little innovation but does a good job at eroding profits for true innovators.  Your small ego cannot withstand the success of Nintendo that to me is also a Failure.  Doesn't matter what you say, my definition of you is Failed Xbox Fanboy.  I own MSFT, Sony, Apple, Android and Nintendo platforms, love them all, oh yeah PC gaming is fun too.  You can stay miserable watching MSFT trying to copy Apple, Nintendo or even Sony next.  I have no problem with your blue screen state of mind.  Just try to press cntl-alt-del once in a while cuz you need to flush out some of that hate and learn to respect others' accomplishments more.  What have you accomplished?

Reported.

runqvist said:
Tarumon said:
runqvist said:
Viper1 said:

Reported.

Thank you.  My personal attack causing you discomfort? Your frequent non fact based insertion of opinion is just as intolerable.  See how some people take their time to put together nice charts and recall figures from years past?  I came to this site for their hardwork and insight.  But it's just unavoidable to see people like you hijacking every OP and pee in a pool you don't even swim in. There is a lot of fun and excitement in seeing a new genration of console gaming take off.  Nintendo, Sony, MSFt, can all grow this pie bigger.  If you have a legitimate point, back it up and show it.  But don't act like you are the authoritative source on how a console launch is success or failure and just keep spamming.

Tarumon said:
runqvist said:

Reported.

Thank you.  My personal attack causing you discomfort? Your frequent non fact based insertion of opinion is just as intolerable.  See how some people take their time to put together nice charts and recall figures from years past?  I came to this site for their hardwork and insight.  But it's just unavoidable to see people like you hijacking every OP and pee in a pool you don't even swim in. There is a lot of fun and excitement in seeing a new genration of console gaming take off.  Nintendo, Sony, MSFt, can all grow this pie bigger.  If you have a legitimate point, back it up and show it.  But don't act like you are the authoritative source on how a console launch is success or failure and just keep spamming.

No problem. I will report you gladly every time you resort to personal insults as your argument.