By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U is now 1 month old and has sold 1.8 million units. How is it doing?

How has the Wii U performed so far?

It's doing spectacular! I'm blown away! 126 10.09%

It's doing really good, can't complain. 418 33.47%

It's doing good, not as ... 269 21.54%

Could have been better... 176 14.09%

It's doing poorly; Wii did much better! 127 10.17%

Still can't believe they... 133 10.65%

Total:1,249

I vote for runqvist for vgchartz mayor.

Around the Network
runqvist said:
HappySqurriel said:
runqvist said:
As it should be selling more than its predecessor, it is doing bad at the moment and in following weeks it will be doing even worse.

How many consoles have launched in November and sold more than 2 million units before years end?

From my understanding, I think the only system to have sold more systems at launch than the Wii U is the Wii ...

So which console is the predecessor of wii u? It is the console to make comparisons. What is it?

As I've said on here before you can't fairly compare the sales of any console to the Wii. It was a sales phenomenon that we're unlikely to see again. You also can't really compare the sales of the Wii U to the PS3 either because at launch it was retailing for a ridiculous pricepoint that was beyond the means of a great deal of people. Last gen you can only fairly compare the launch sales of the 360 because it was retailing around the same sort of pricepoint.

The Wii U is also aimed mostly at the 'hardcore' demographic rather than the 'casual' demographic going by the launch titles which makes the comparison to the 360's launch sales even more appropriate.

We should see between 10 and 15m consoles in homes worldwide before the PS4 and 720 launch and Sony and Microsoft's choice of pricepoints is going to be key to their commercial success. If they retail for more than 399.99 dollars/pounds then we could be looking at another Vita situation. :Oo

runqvist said:
Viper1 said:
runqvist said:
As it should be selling more than its predecessor, it is doing bad at the moment and in following weeks it will be doing even worse.

You do realize it's quite normal for a previous generation console to continue to outsell the newer generation console for several months (even a year) after launch?

Of course you do.

Do you realize that I was talking about sales from launch for both consoles?

of course you do

Uh, yeah, I do.  Hence why I said what I said.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Comparing a console which release during a christmas period with a console releasing in an non christmas period is not a intelligent comparison.
It doenst matter how much Wii U will sell thsi year.What matters are the sales it will make next year and how much support it will get. only than we can slowly start making any predictions.

runqvist said:
HappySqurriel said:
runqvist said:

How many consoles have launched in November and sold more than 2 million units before years end?

From my understanding, I think the only system to have sold more systems at launch than the Wii U is the Wii ...

So which console is the predecessor of wii u? It is the console to make comparisons. What is it?

I disagree ...

While I think there is some value in comparing sales generation-over-generation to argue whether a system was a success or not, a system's sales are strong or weak regardless of how their previous generation system sold.

The PS-Vita is selling poorly because it is selling at a rate of less than 5 million units per year, not because it is selling at half the rate of the PSP. The XBox 360's sales in Japan are poor because it will (likely) have sold less than 2 million units after being on the market for 8+ years, even though the XBox 360 sold far more units in Japan than the XBox did.

Around the Network

I think it's doing very well so far. It was never gonna be Wii out of the gate. That kind of out of the gate success for a home console had never happened before and probably never will again. It was a one time phenomenon. The fact that it's well ahead of PS3/360 through same point is good enough for me. And I personally like the system an awful lot. I'm in love with the gamepad far more than I ever was Wii's motion controls. Normal controllers just seem boring now.

SunofKratos said:
Comparing a console which release during a christmas period with a console releasing in an non christmas period is not a intelligent comparison.
It doenst matter how much Wii U will sell thsi year.What matters are the sales it will make next year and how much support it will get. only than we can slowly start making any predictions.

... and what Sony and Microsoft do.

The 3DS is selling amazingly well, and most of that can be attributed to what Nintendo and third party publishers have done, but the lack of competition from the PS-Vita is also a major factor in the 3DS' success. I suspect that 1/3 of 3DS purchases could have become PS-Vita purchases if the PS-Vita was a more competitive platform.

In a similar fashion, depending on what Sony or Microsoft release, Nintendo may be fighting a tough battle in the next generation or may be faced with push-overs.

HappySqurriel said:

I disagree ...

While I think there is some value in comparing sales generation-over-generation to argue whether a system was a success or not, a system's sales are strong or weak regardless of how their previous generation system sold.

The PS-Vita is selling poorly because it is selling at a rate of less than 5 million units per year, not because it is selling at half the rate of the PSP. The XBox 360's sales in Japan are poor because it will (likely) have sold less than 2 million units after being on the market for 8+ years, even though the XBox 360 sold far more units in Japan than the XBox did.

You can disagree as much as your heart desires, but that does not change the fact that the success of a product is measured against its predecessor.

offtopic rant: why on earth I decided to take just an android tablet with me for vacation. This sucks.. chrome at least lets you edit the post, awesome...

snowdog said:

As I've said on here before you can't fairly compare the sales of any console to the Wii. It was a sales phenomenon that we're unlikely to see again. You also can't really compare the sales of the Wii U to the PS3 either because at launch it was retailing for a ridiculous pricepoint that was beyond the means of a great deal of people. Last gen you can only fairly compare the launch sales of the 360 because it was retailing around the same sort of pricepoint.

The Wii U is also aimed mostly at the 'hardcore' demographic rather than the 'casual' demographic going by the launch titles which makes the comparison to the 360's launch sales even more appropriate.

We should see between 10 and 15m consoles in homes worldwide before the PS4 and 720 launch and Sony and Microsoft's choice of pricepoints is going to be key to their commercial success. If they retail for more than 399.99 dollars/pounds then we could be looking at another Vita situation. :Oo

Yes, you can. It is a direct successor, nothing unfair about it. 

"You can disagree as much as your heart desires, but that does not change the fact that the success of a product is measured against its predecessor."

So your definition of success means any U.S. Swimmer post Phelps will be considered a failure no matter how many gold metals he collects unless and until he beats Phelps records?  No Laker or Bulls team will be a "champion" until the team strings together at least a threepeat! 

Wii U so far is not as successful as Wii this far into launch, but it is by far successful in moving more units over the same launch window than other players in the video game console market.  Nintendo has succeeded in moving products relatively close to their announced goal for the year, with obviously more titles, as well as marketing and advertising budget to make a push next year.  

3DS was also pronounced "dead" months into its nascent sales period.  I wouldn't bet against Wii U's "success" simply by mincing with words of how you define success.   My own ad hoc checking of Wii U supply by online store pick up availability is that the bigger markets still show unavailable or limited supply while smaller markets show available supply.  Wii U is selling at a healhty clip against what Nintendo is manufacturing, and that number is a much higher number than the HD twins were able to ship over their launch period. That to me is guts and confidence in your customer base.

No matter how many nay sayers want to base gaming on processor speed or wattage consumed, at the end number of players and dollars spent towards each console and games determine success of the product.  And whether the company can translate those dollars into profits determines its success.  Nintendo doesn't rely on subsidy from other divisions to produce gaming experience proftably.  As a gamer, it's a success in my book.