By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - This is why I don't like debating religion

donzaloog said:

Circular logic is the bread and butter of a religious debate. Just a sampling of the crazy stuff that turned me off of religion:

1) There's an all powerful man in the sky, who watches every minute of yours and everyone else's life. Who knows every action you will take in life.

How is that even something you can say to someone with a straight face? The concept is beyond ridiculous.

2) Said all powerful being gave us free will.

Wait so, he gave us free will, but knows everything that we'll do in our lives. If the person who created you knows everything you'll do before you do, you don't have free will. You're just following the script.

3) God is a loving god.

Who created the devil? The devil was the very first angel created. If big daddy there really know everything of the past, present and future, then he knew exactly what he was creating. And the angels are also created in God's image iirc, which means all the evil of the devil is a part of go.

4) God created humans. It's obvious, because something can't come from nothing.

Then who created god? And who created the creator of god? And who created the creator of the creator of god. Ad infinitum.

It's absolutely insane to think that some magic book written by our ancient ancestors in the desert has all the answers to modern life. That book is a collection of myths, glorified war stories and morality tales meant to show people how to live a just life. Nothing's wrong with that, but the blood stained history of religion has tainted any moral authority they may have once had.

Excellent post. Fully agree.

Around the Network
Majora said:
Branko2166 said:
Majora said:
It's a sign of how powerful religion is and how warped peoples minds are in the religion that they feel quoting bible passages is the proof that they talk about that god exists.

And also, whether it's Christianity or Islam, what difference does it make? They are both elaborate myths so really whichever you want to 'debate' is fruitless. The 'enlightened' will tell us God said this, Allah said that. Did he now? How perfectly charming! It's all tosh.

As human beings we are wired generally speaking to be followers of something. This could be religion or it may be a political system, and it could even be a person of great charisma. We are all gifted with our own private thought domain which is our conciousness and we make the conscious choice to follow or not follow something. I have no issues with anyone believing anything they want to believe in as long as they do not attempt to force their convictions onto me. And yes this includes both religious extremists and hardcore atheists.

The issue I see is that there are extremists on both sides who are convinced that they are in the right and are trying to prove it which is the ultimate example of engaging in futility . I have had many debates with friends but while we have a lively and interesting debate in the end we generally reach a stalemate and switch topics. It is an interesting debate to have for sure but it's when people start getting emotional or express disrespect that the debate becomes pointless. And this has been fairly well demonstrated in this thread.

The problem stems from the fact that religions do not grant respect and for too long people of faith have held too much power and influenced (often negatively) large segments of society, even ruling countries in some cases. If religion was merely a past time that was kept in the background and was largely ignored when making decisions on laws that rule the land then that would be fine and then yes, respect would be granted. But this is not the case.

Richard Dawkins makes excellent points in his documentaries and books. I'll watch some vids and post them here if I can. But how can we respect a myth? A fairytale? It is not worthy of respect when people use their religion to impose hideous bigoted opinions on society all in the 'knowledge' that they are doing the right thing because their respective deity grants them the right to do so in their name. It's ridiculous. So do I respect religion? No. I find it abhorrent.

I agree that religion has wielded a great deal of influence and power over mankind, however there have been plenty of other of non religious entities or movements which have also had negative effects on mankind. Ultimately religion, atheism or political movements and any other human construct has positive and negative aspects and the outcome is determined by what decisions people make. At the end of the day right or wrong if you disrespect someone for whichever reason you will get an emotional response.

I guess it's idealistic but the best result we can hope for is to live in a world where equality rules and people respect different beliefs. The realist in me though says that it is in our nature to force our beliefs on others and we are destined to be locked in a struggle for as long as humanity exists.

GameOver22 said:
About fundamentalist: I would actually think fundamentalists have lower IQs and lower levels of education, as the research suggests. What I mean, is that I think the other models would produce different results if fundamentalism was included as a control variable because I would expect there is a reason to think that fundamentalist religious believers and non-fundamentalist religious believers  are quite distinct from each other.....meaning the results for the correlation between intelligence and religious belief might be different if you exclude fundamentalists from the sample.

About IQ level: In the study, IQ level measures intelligence....not education. I didn't look at the operationalization of education, but education is usually accounted for by a simple question (what is the highest grade level you completed?).

My problem with IQ is that it doesn't really measure knowledge about religion. I'm more familiar with work in political science, but knowledge is not measured with IQ. It is measured with how much knowledge someone possesses about politics (typically questions with an objectively right answer). I would think the same should be applied to religious studies. IQ just captures how well someone can take a specific test.....it doesn't capture whether someone has seriously contemplated and investigated religious belief. I just think intelligence should be tied to intelligence about the topic at hand. It would kind of be like using how well people score on a math test as a proxy for intelligence in a political science study. I just don't see the connection.

Edit: For instance, I would use the "need for cognition" scale, which measures how much people enjoy problems that make them think, rather than an IQ test.

So you don't really think IQ is an inaccurate measurement of intelligence, you would just rather see a study of the relationship between education and theism? There probably are such studies if you're interested. I do not believe I have seen one, though.

The study provides evidence that individuals with an enchanced capacity to learn, reject theism. One doesn't need learn all the religions to cast aside their fundamental core of the supernatural, which is common to all theism. IQ correlates with problem-solving, which applies to your "need for cognition" scale.

Branko2166 said:
Majora said:
Branko2166 said:
Majora said:
It's a sign of how powerful religion is and how warped peoples minds are in the religion that they feel quoting bible passages is the proof that they talk about that god exists.

And also, whether it's Christianity or Islam, what difference does it make? They are both elaborate myths so really whichever you want to 'debate' is fruitless. The 'enlightened' will tell us God said this, Allah said that. Did he now? How perfectly charming! It's all tosh.

As human beings we are wired generally speaking to be followers of something. This could be religion or it may be a political system, and it could even be a person of great charisma. We are all gifted with our own private thought domain which is our conciousness and we make the conscious choice to follow or not follow something. I have no issues with anyone believing anything they want to believe in as long as they do not attempt to force their convictions onto me. And yes this includes both religious extremists and hardcore atheists.

The issue I see is that there are extremists on both sides who are convinced that they are in the right and are trying to prove it which is the ultimate example of engaging in futility . I have had many debates with friends but while we have a lively and interesting debate in the end we generally reach a stalemate and switch topics. It is an interesting debate to have for sure but it's when people start getting emotional or express disrespect that the debate becomes pointless. And this has been fairly well demonstrated in this thread.

The problem stems from the fact that religions do not grant respect and for too long people of faith have held too much power and influenced (often negatively) large segments of society, even ruling countries in some cases. If religion was merely a past time that was kept in the background and was largely ignored when making decisions on laws that rule the land then that would be fine and then yes, respect would be granted. But this is not the case.

Richard Dawkins makes excellent points in his documentaries and books. I'll watch some vids and post them here if I can. But how can we respect a myth? A fairytale? It is not worthy of respect when people use their religion to impose hideous bigoted opinions on society all in the 'knowledge' that they are doing the right thing because their respective deity grants them the right to do so in their name. It's ridiculous. So do I respect religion? No. I find it abhorrent.

I agree that religion has wielded a great deal of influence and power over mankind, however there have been plenty of other of non religious entities or movements which have also had negative effects on mankind. Ultimately religion, atheism or political movements and any other human construct has positive and negative aspects and the outcome is determined by what decisions people make. At the end of the day right or wrong if you disrespect someone for whichever reason you will get an emotional response.

I guess it's idealistic but the best result we can hope for is to live in a world where equality rules and people respect different beliefs. The realist in me though says that it is in our nature to force our beliefs on others and we are destined to be locked in a struggle for as long as humanity exists.

First point I don't feel that any other movement has had as much impact on humanity as religion. Secondly, atheism is not a movement or a construct nor is it a belief. Atheism by its nature does not require any belief; it purely doesn't acknowledge something of which there is no evidence whatsoever.

However I appreciate your response and I don't want to feel like I'm arguing with everybody. I'm arguing with nobody. I just refuse to respect belief in a story that directly affects my life and the lives of millions in the wider world.

@Majora

I get where you're coming from and I agree that up to this point of recorded human history organised religion has played the greatest role but I was pointing out that if we want to discuss the effect of religion then we should focus on the whole and not just the negative role it has played. We live in a wonderous but also highly volatile world and all we can do is to try to make the best of it.

I get the impression that you have had some bad experiences with religious people but understand that like any group there are good and bad and religion can and does get used for good or bad purposes.

Around the Network
Branko2166 said:
@Majora

I get where you're coming from and I agree that up to this point of recorded human history organised religion has played the greatest role but I was pointing out that if we want to discuss the effect of religion then we should focus on the whole and not just the negative role it has played. We live in a wonderous but also highly volatile world and all we can do is to try to make the best of it.

I get the impression that you have had some bad experiences with religious people but understand that like any group there are good and bad and religion can and does get used for good or bad purposes.

I haven't personally had any bad experiences. I speak from viewing the wider world as a whole. My whole aversion to religion simply boils down to the fact that it is given so much protection and there is a sense of "oh you can't say that about God?!" (of which there is no evidence and no need). I think it is vulgar that fairytales and myths can not only be held above law but also can affect people and prevent them living the life they wish to lead (peaceful lives, I might add, not law breaking lives - hence the law).

I respect you and your willingness to accept both sides of the argument, but for me personally there is no argument and there is no alternative view as religion and god are not real and as such there can be no positive reasoning that can be gleaned from, well - nothing.

Dr.Grass said:
Stop saying "Religion" and just say "Christianity" instead.

no, because my overlying point applies to all religions.  Just because I used chritianity as an example doesnt mean the argument only applies to christianity.

DaRev said:

Really what point is that? That non-religious people always make claims about religion that they themselves ultimately can't support?

As for putting my money where my mouth is I wouldn't waste my time, seriously. Because you claim on one hand that religious people should quit but now you want me to convince you? Lol - Go read my many other posts on this religion if you want proof, it was already discussed.

how is it a waste of time?  you're just unable to support your theory, so like all religious people you're backing down to the "I have my rights" argument.  Which is true, you do, but I did read your posts and nothing was in any way conclusive or even all that compelling.  

so, when are you bringing the real points to the table? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Take overpopulation as another example where Religion needs to back the hell off:

Scientists agree, we're overpopulated. we CAN support ourselves at our current population and according to some theories could easily feed up to 9.3 billion people, but the fact is we still have over one billion people starving and/or in intense poverty. Plus, getting to that number would require basically the rest of the world to be null. The more people WE have, the less of everything else there is.

most religions (and all of the major ones) say that we are above animals, and our needs and rights come before the environment. We hold dominion over them.

In addition, some religions say that homosexuality is wrong, that contraceptives are wrong, and in some extremes any act that doesn't result in offspring is wrong. This is particularly true where I live, where almost every family has 8 or more children (they believe in having huge families to please God and don't believe in contraception.)

So ask yourself this, which side would you chose? the one where we adhere to values that were relevant thousands of years ago but have since been made obsolete, or the side that gives real facts and figures and warns about real consequences for us and the world around us?

Science 1
Religion 0

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Take overpopulation as another example where Religion needs to back the hell off:

Scientists agree, we're overpopulated. we CAN support ourselves at our current population and according to some theories could easily feed up to 9.3 billion people, but the fact is we still have over one billion people starving and/or in intense poverty. Plus, getting to that number would require basically the rest of the world to be null. The more people WE have, the less of everything else there is.

most religions (and all of the major ones) say that we are above animals, and our needs and rights come before the environment. We hold dominion over them.

In addition, some religions say that homosexuality is wrong, that contraceptives are wrong, and in some extremes any act that doesn't result in offspring is wrong. This is particularly true where I live, where almost every family has 8 or more children (they believe in having huge families to please God and don't believe in contraception.)

So ask yourself this, which side would you chose? the one where we adhere to values that were relevant thousands of years ago but have since been made obsolete, or the side that gives real facts and figures and warns about real consequences for us and the world around us?

Science 1
Religion 0

True, but in the meantime people practice sex in a different way than people did when the global consciousness was lower (say just 50 years ago), and there was more modesty, at least in America. What then, the moral state of the people has degraded (the religious opinion) but their ability to survive has increaced.

All it says is that the priorities of religion are in a different place than the priorities of naturalistic thinking.