By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps3 crossed 70mil: Celebrate ?

-Update- Ps3 over 70million on VG data.

Ps3 will achive the milestone of 70 million consoles next week. Its a feat, even if its the least selling console this generation so far. Lets point out some reasons on it:

1. Comparing it roughly on the HD twin, was a year later to release. Games were coming to Xbox360 but ps3 lost a whole year to pick up. consumers picked Xbox as a true next gen console, horsepower wise.

2. Pricing: When i bought my ps3(40gb) in 2008 i got it for 500 euro. On its release it was like 700-800euro. Was the most expensive console i bought. Some will say that it had blue ray and price was logical. I wont argue on that. My point is that it has always been the most expensive console even today in its whole lifecycle. Dont get me wrong i only cover the price here and not what is on offer.

3. No Stand out exclusive for the 1st two years from the Playstation library: No Gran turismo(full game not prologue), no MGS, no GoW, no Final Fantasy. Even rachet&clank was a year later.

4. Motion control introduced from Wii: This hurt sales of both HD consoles. Nintendo took the sales market by storm for introducing something new and unique to the gaming public. 

So after the monopoly of previous generation with the ps2, ps3 found a strong and competitive generation and the sales pie was split on 3 consoles.

So do we celebrate for the milestone of 70millions? -Yes.

Did we expect for ps3 to be last? -I guess not.

Is sony happy with this performance? - I guess not.

Your thoughts?

Around the Network

It's just odd to me that the PS3 can push 70 million units, and it's exclusives still sell terribly. I'm glad it has reached 70 million, I hope that it overtakes the 360. It's truly a great console, that I love.

yes, we always celebrate. this the second biggest selling gen. for hardware sales.

wait no its not it's the biggest gen. for hardware sales of home consoles.

According to Sony, ps3 crossed 70 million back in the beginning of November..

sold to consumer sales don't matter that much, when the console sells through all the time and within the month

mM
leo-j said:

sold to consumer sales don't matter that much, when the console sells through all the time and within the month

this. shipped is what matters

Around the Network

Congrats to the ps3!

I admit, there was a time that I pegged ps3 liftime sells at 50 million, it has blown away my expectations!

radiantshadow92 said:
leo-j said:

this. shipped is what matters

I created this thread by the numbers of consoles sold in VGchartz charts. Exact numbers will be made clear in the yearly total sales in the next few months.

leo-j said:

This makes me believe that the PS3 is undertracked here.  It'll be 5 weeks since that announcement, one of which was Black Friday (the PS3 was up YOY in America and slightly up in Japan), yet the PS3 will have barely inched past those shipment numbers.  Being this close to Xmas, that's just a little hard to believe.  I guess we'll find out in a month or so when Nintendo releases the sales charts.

thismeintiel said:
leo-j said:

This makes me believe that the PS3 is undertracked here.  It'll be 5 weeks since that announcement, one of which was Black Friday (the PS3 was up YOY in America and slightly up in Japan), yet the PS3 will have barely inched past those shipment numbers.  Being this close to Xmas, that's just a little hard to believe.  I guess we'll find out in a month or so when Nintendo releases the sales charts.

Nah, being close to christmas makes it easier to believe.  Hardware makers stuff the retail channels right before christmas so that the retailers are less likely to run out of their product.  Most people dont understand that the hardware makers dont actuallyship directly to the stores, they ship to the retailers distrubution center which stores them and divies them out in small increments based on sell through numbers.

Mensrea said:
It's just odd to me that the PS3 can push 70 million units, and it's exclusives still sell terribly. I'm glad it has reached 70 million, I hope that it overtakes the 360. It's truly a great console, that I love.

Uncharted

Metal gear solid 4

Gran turismo

God of war