By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Network IDs can be transfered to a new console by Nintendo

Viper1 said:
Trunkin said:
Viper1 said:

I think this relates to the cloud servie they are working on.   The company they partnered with (Mozy, Inc) didn't have it all ready in time for launch so they had to tie accounts to the console.   Once the cloud service launches next year, I expect accounts will be unleashed from the console.

I've heard nothing about this cloud service. I hope you're right about it launching next year, though.

There is no doubt that Nintendo has done a poor job comminicating all things Wii U.  The cloud service is one of them.

http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-wii-u-will-have-cloud-storage-15228468/
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/05/nintendo-to-offer-wii-u-cloud-storage-for-save-games-and-player-profiles/

ksv said:

That the "cloud" wasn't ready is not a believable argument, you dont need a cloud to register user accounts. They are consumer-unfriendly, and they are useless at online. They obviously only made the Wii U transfer tool because they knew it would be an outrage if they didnt, but they didnt even manage to merge the Wii Shop into the Wii U Shop, its a joke of a service.

The 'cloud issue' is a believable argument if, IF, and I'm admitting if here, if the cloud service is the backbone for the unlocked user account system.  If Nintendo (see, if again) had planned to have unlocked accounts (which, by the way is a cloud in itself since cloud just means software as a service) and the backbone of that system was not ready yet (thanks to Mozy, Inc) then it makes a lot of sense why in the interim that it's locked to the system it's registered from.

Also, the Wii shop is a part of the Wii software suite so it's not part of the Wii U internal software.  The Wii U has to be rebooted into Wii mode to even access the Wiii software suite.  However, they are already redesigning the Wii U eShop to include the older Wii shop.

Did Sony and MS have evertyhing ready day 1?  Of course not.  So why are you expecting anyone else to have everythign ready day 1?

And if you don't mind, change you tone a little.  Hostility gains you nothing but retailiation.  And instead of lively debate, we get heated exchanges that get us nowhere.   Thanks.

I am expecting Nintendo to have a more ready service than what Sony and Microsoft had 6 years ago because....it's 6 years ago! I am sure my tone could be better, but it is frustrating after being a loyal Nintendo customer for 2 decades to see that they still have such disregard for their customers. I am only attacking Nintendo, nobody else. Nintendo is a big company, I'm sure it can handle it. :) 

Around the Network
ksv said:

I am expecting Nintendo to have a more ready service than what Sony and Microsoft had 6 years ago because....it's 6 years ago! I am sure my tone could be better, but it is frustrating after being a loyal Nintendo customer for 2 decades to see that they still have such disregard for their customers. I am only attacking Nintendo, nobody else. Nintendo is a big company, I'm sure it can handle it. :) 

Nintendo - 5,000 employees.
Microsoft - 95,000 employees.
Sony - 163,000 employees.

Yes, they are companies with many more divisions but Nintendo is a much smaller comapny than either of them.  Especially compared to Sony.  Hell, EA, Konami, Ubisoft, Activision and others actually have more employees than Nintendo.

It should be noted that the lack of the cloud service is the fault of Mozy, Inc, not Nintendo so you can't really fault them for it not being there on day 1.  And if the unlocked accounts are part of that service, not much Nintendo can do about that either.

Sure, it's frustrating but it's also unfair to Nintendo to blamed for something they can't control or that has affected others in the same situation.   Regardless of that being 6 years ago, the fact is that neither of those companies had everything ready day 1.  They are a big companies so why weren't they ready?

I'm just saying to relax.  Does this ID transfer issue affect you personally right now?  Not likely.   Then give them a few months to iron out some details.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

The issue of system-locked accounts has affected me for 6 years ever since I bought my first Wii. So yeah, I thought the next system was a good opportunity to fix it. Whether or not they have issues with their supplier is not my concern, all companies have suppliers, I am a Nintendo customer, I pay them for their products and I expect things to be better than they are.

Sure I am giving them some slack, I did buy the Wii U after all, on launch, imported (because my Wii was imported, I had to import my Wii U too to keep my VC games). My Wii was dying at the end, and good luck getting an imported Wii repaired/replaced with content intact.

So why do I have an imported Wii, so much hassle, no? But you know what, I didnt actually buy an imported Wii 6 years ago, I bought one here, on launch, in Europe. Finally VC goodness. I then discover after buying my first games and starting to play that the PAL VC service is sub-par in Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Console#PAL_issues ). So I actually go to the trouble of selling my Wii, importing one, getting a stepdown converter, and going through hoops to get my norwegian credit card working on the Americas Wii Shop (hint: set your country to Brazil), just to buy games from Nintendo and play them the way they were designed, not artificially restricted to the european TV technology of the 80s and 90s. And all those games I bought were locked to me Wii, with huge risk of me losing them if anything were to happen to my imported console. So I was relieved to be able to transfer my purchases to the Wii U, only to find that I still have the exact same risk of losing hundreds of dollars invested.

(Interestingly/sadly, PS1 games available for download on PS3 have the same PAL issues if you use the european store, but you can avoid it by creating an american/canadian/brazilian/whatever account and getting your games from that store, without having to sell your console.)

So yeah, I am fed up with Nintendo's subpar service, and it's cost me a lot of money. It's unbelievable how loyal a customer I actually am.