By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Network IDs can be transfered to a new console by Nintendo

VG247

Nintendo of America has tired to clear up a bit of confusion surrounding the transfer of online IDs for Wii U consoles owners. According to NOA, while Wii U users are unable to transfer Network IDs between consoles, or even sign-in on a different console, the use of Network IDs on “other devices” will be possible “in the future.” Should your Wii U break or sprout legs and go on a city destroying rampage – no worries: just wrangle the unruly system, toss it in a box, and send it off to Nintendo – not the retailer you purchased it from.

“Nintendo of America’s repair process includes the transferring of the Nintendo Network ID to a new Wii U console if a replacement system is needed,” an NOA rep told Kotaku.

Around the Network

not good enough

Oh my days.

Why so many issues? Saying that though, nintendo is new to all this "proper" networking stuff.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Serious_frusting said:
Oh my days.

Why so many issues? Saying that though, nintendo is new to all this "proper" networking stuff.

Just like Microsoft and Sony were new to consoles and didn't make reliable hardware till recently.

A lot of online related growing pains for Nintendo lately.

Around the Network

This is good for a first step for people who have initial problems, but this is not how you fix the problem. Consumers need an easier way to do this than having to know to send the console back to Nintendo.

Nintendo said they were planning to fix this issue in the future, but since I don't live in the U.S I'm not going to buy a Wii U until Nintendo confirms you can play your downloaded Wii U games in another Wii U console. Considering I planning to buy every game digitally. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

KylieDog said:
Sounds like a nice attempt to squeeze money from people by forcing them to go through Nintendo and get a repair or replacement.

People need to be able to just buy a new console and sign in on that like can on PS3/360.

You don't have to pay for this type of service though.

If your console bricks, they'll replace it for free.  There's no money involved at all.

KylieDog said:
Sounds like a nice attempt to squeeze money from people by forcing them to go through Nintendo and get a repair or replacement.

People need to be able to just buy a new console and sign in on that like can on PS3/360.

I didn't know the one year warranty was up already.  Time flys...

this was on the wii as well. they transferred my account twice when i had to send my wii in and ended up getting sent a new console.