By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony relying on heavily bundled and/or deep discount just to get games into million sellers list?

pezus said:

So Nintendo were UNDERSELLING the Wii the whole time? Explains the sales.

They MAY have been. That's my point.... :(

Forum = place to think about things that MAY be possible.

Around the Network
pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
I don't get the point. Why not ask the same question about Nintendo and MS games?

All companies do it, but Sony has a lot simultaneosly and often I think is the reason he used them as an example.  But yes all three bundle 1st party games.

MS bundle more than one game usually too around the holidays. Nintendo hard bundle a LOT of games, most of them called "Mario" something. It's hard to buy a Nintendo system without a bundled game coming with it.

As I said all three companies do it.  I see no need in talking about bundles.  It is a way to get 1st party games in somebody's hands.  Personally I find it to be a good strategy on Sony's part.  Just my opinion though as I can't prove that it has worked on selling future installments.

Just making a list on all bundled games I'm sure we could put almost every big exclusive down for each of the three companies.

Sho 'nough. Galaki is just hitting back for all the WIi U doom threads lately by talking only about Sony in here. OR he knows more people will talk if he mentions only Sony (and he was right).

Well I see a lot of comments on this site blaming how much a certain game has sold because of bundling.  I think the biggest onesthat seems to take a lot of the blame is forza, gran turismo, and Mario Kart.  Each one of them have been bundled and I dont think that is a secret but so has every other 1st part title lol  Hmm I may make a thread for all the 1st party games that has been bundled haha  Honest opinion on bundling, they are good games that help sell the console.  i dont think anybody can really disagree that most games that gets bundled are good games.  

I do understand hard bundling that's what you called it correct?  I mean games like Wii Sports would have never sold as much as it did without it, but besides that I don't see the arguments as being justifying.

pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:

Sho 'nough. Galaki is just hitting back for all the WIi U doom threads lately by talking only about Sony in here. OR he knows more people will talk if he mentions only Sony (and he was right).

Well I see a lot of comments on this site blaming how much a certain game has sold because of bundling.  I think the biggest onesthat seems to take a lot of the blame is forza, gran turismo, and Mario Kart.  Each one of them have been bundled and I dont think that is a secret but so has every other 1st part title lol  Hmm I may make a thread for all the 1st party games that has been bundled haha  Honest opinion on bundling, they are good games that help sell the console.  i dont think anybody can really disagree that most games that gets bundled are good games.  

I do understand hard bundling that's what you called it correct?  I mean games like Wii Sports would have never sold as much as it did without it, but besides that I don't see the arguments as being justifying.

Yes, it's games that are bundled with almost every console sold for many years (or another hardware - like Kinect Adventures)

Just wanted to make sure I was using the correct term.  And yes I know Kinect adventures does that too and why it is sitting at around 17m sold copies. 

I once spent three days trying to make happydolphin understand a point.

He finally got it in the end.

theprof00 said:

This time it very well may be your turn to understand.

EDIT: Unless you are always right that is, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Fighter im not sure you understood what you bolded.
I was saying that sony ot bundles third partu games and has put third party games on ps+.
Why? Because it creates awareness. Notice that these bundled games already have sequels. Notice that the ps+ games are games that have sequels (like ps+ borderlands recently)
Third parties are likely aware that ps+ helps theirNEW full priced games at the expense of unlikely prequel sales.
Note that this was a specific point tgat dodece made that i was addressing, not hardware bundling.

oh.. you are right... sorry for that

fighter said:
theprof00 said:
Fighter im not sure you understood what you bolded.
I was saying that sony ot bundles third partu games and has put third party games on ps+.
Why? Because it creates awareness. Notice that these bundled games already have sequels. Notice that the ps+ games are games that have sequels (like ps+ borderlands recently)
Third parties are likely aware that ps+ helps theirNEW full priced games at the expense of unlikely prequel sales.
Note that this was a specific point tgat dodece made that i was addressing, not hardware bundling.

oh.. you are right... sorry for that

Haha, no prob, sorry for the confusingly worded followup as well. :D

"I was saying that sony ot bundles third partu games and has put third party games on ps+." -ew lol

happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:

look Happy. I'm not saying your data or analysis is bad. I'm not saying you're stupid. I don't know why you are so insistent, other than maybe you think I am denigrating you.

I responded to the OP when I said "sony bundles, ms bundles, ninty bundles". You quoted me and wrote SHUT UP.

oooookk.....

Then, sales2099 comes in specifically to make the point that "Sony bundles megahits even on controllers". Sales2099s goal was to make Sony look extreme in comparison to, for example, xbox. Sony is like Scarface in this bit. He's the bad guy that other bad guys point at when everyone is in trouble.

I tell someone not to bother responding to such an obvious demonizing statement because sales is biased, and then you come in and say you find his PoV interesting, and say "if the strategy would work, then you would have a point". Ummm, Wut? The strategy does work, given the fact that every single manufacturer bundles

]

And the kinect bundles? Holy shit, there's been like a dozen separate ones.

I'm surprised! No, wait, I'm not.

Your comment in that post depicted someone who very honestly does not know how bundling works. This may be the reason why you took this thread to be a genuine talk about bundling, because it's a subject you've never discussed before. Please remember that I joined in 08, and had been lurking since the dawn of vgc. This has been discussed in depth, and bundling works and will always work, (most importantly, Galaki knows that) and the games that Sony is currently bundling with Vita, is to sell Vitas, and the games it had bundled to controllers, was to sell controllers. Typically, you bundle a game with a controller because a controller costs 10$ to make, and it's an incentive to buy another controller, sometimes even if you don't necessarily need one. Controller bundles always.always.always make profit, and further spreads the visibility of the bundled game, gets consumers to spend more, and has many lasting effects.

If you want to talk bundling, then make a thread about it, because this isn't the one for it.

theprof00 said:
happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:

look Happy. I'm not saying your data or analysis is bad. I'm not saying you're stupid. I don't know why you are so insistent, other than maybe you think I am denigrating you.

I responded to the OP when I said "sony bundles, ms bundles, ninty bundles". You quoted me and wrote SHUT UP.

oooookk.....

Then, sales2099 comes in specifically to make the point that "Sony bundles megahits even on controllers". Sales2099s goal was to make Sony look extreme in comparison to, for example, xbox. Sony is like Scarface in this bit. He's the bad guy that other bad guys point at when everyone is in trouble.

I tell someone not to bother responding to such an obvious demonizing statement because sales is biased, and then you come in and say you find his PoV interesting, and say "if the strategy would work, then you would have a point". Ummm, Wut? The strategy does work, given the fact that every single manufacturer bundles

]

Your comment in that post depicted someone who very honestly does not know how bundling works. This may be the reason why you took this thread to be a genuine talk about bundling, because it's a subject you've never discussed before. Please remember that I joined in 08, and had been lurking since the dawn of vgc. This has been discussed in depth, and bundling works and will always work, (most importantly, Galaki knows that) and the games that Sony is currently bundling with Vita, is to sell Vitas, and the games it had bundled to controllers, was to sell controllers. Typically, you bundle a game with a controller because a controller costs 10$ to make, and it's an incentive to buy another controller, sometimes even if you don't necessarily need one. Controller bundles always.always.always make profit, and further spreads the visibility of the bundled game, gets consumers to spend more, and has many lasting effects.

If you want to talk bundling, then make a thread about it, because this isn't the one for it.

So you're using the "I'm older than you" argument now. That's interesting...

I told you to shut up because you and the other three were ruining the thread, and it's become a plague of the forum. I was telling you and them to shut up because somebody needed to tell you guys.

As for bundles, I know how they work. I already mentioned missed business opportunity due to UNDERSELLING, I won't say it again.

I'm insisting because you're denigrating me, and I dislike it. I also made a point to put you and a few others in your place because it was due. And it's important that people realize you were wrong so this isn't repeated by others.

I think Sales' PoV is interesting IN GENERAL, I wasn't saying specifically in this thread, but I did say he was at least talking about the topic at hand, discussing it, something some of you were not doing. THAT's what I was trying to say there.

Apart from that, when it comes to the point of arguing with "I've been here longer than you", I think it's time to close the argument.

P.S. I mentioned the Wii controller bundles in the thread already, have fun looking that up.

happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:
happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:

oooookk.....

]

So you're using the "I'm older than you" argument now. That's interesting...

I told you to shut up because you were ruining the thread, and it's become a plague of the forum. I was telling you and a few others to shut up because somebody needed to tell you guys.

As for bundles, I know how they work. I already mentioned missed business opportunity due to UNDERSELLING, I won't say it again.

I'm insisting because you're denigrating me, and I dislike it. I also made a point to put you and a few others in your place because it was due.

I think Sales' PoV is interesting IN GENERAL, I wasn't saying specifically in this thread, but I did say he was at least talking about the topic at hand, discussing it, something some of you were ruining. THAT's what I was trying to say.

Apart from that, I think when it comes to the point of arguing with "I've been here longer than you", I think it's time to close the argument.

No, happy, I'm not pulling that card. I'm referencing in such as to explain to you that the topic of bundling has been discussed numerous times already and everyone knows and understands why it is done. It's not a big discussion. It works, and everyone does it.

I responded the way I did because OP was clearly saying that SONY specifically was doing it too much. I said everyone does it. I was on topic. You say that your "shut up" was to keep us in line. Again, I was on topic. If the thread was about bundling in general, and asked "why does sony bundle", then yes, my response wouldn't have been in line, but to fault Sony for bundling games...specifically saying that sony can't sell games unless they bundle....that's a joke/troll thread. It's not a mean one, but it's not serious either.

I was responding directly to the OP. You told me to shut up. You had to explain to half a dozen people that they were off topic. This is proof enough that you didn't understand the thread...YOU were the one who didn't understand. Look at all the other posters. They're saying the same things that I said "everyone bundles", "i smell jealousy", "don't be mad at Sony for providing great value". Everyone is responding to the direct accusation against SONY for bundling. Only a couple people directly said what bundling is for beside you. Even another person told you this is a joke thread. Do you think you are the sole person here who is right? The masses are on my side in this, happy. It's not the forums turning against you, it's not the forums devolving into shit and madness. There is no persecution here. This is the reality of the thread, for which you told people to shut up.

And, no you do not understand, because if you did you would not say 'underselling'. Sony was bundling 4 year old games, and even a ps2 game. PS2!..on a ps3 controller! The GoW collection for ps2 was 15$, bundled on a controller that was priced 10 dollars more expensive than usual! Look at the other games being bundled, UC2, UC1, Infamous 1 and 2. These games are slowing down to nothing. Their retail prices are 20$! The retail cut is likely 7, shipping and handling and costs are likely another 3. This is 10$ lost at most IF you could guarantee that people are still consistently buying those games.

Sony has charts and analysts and market coordinators, and pricing analysts who take more information than we can ever have, and they say "what could we do to maximize profit and minimize loss". Their choices take months of planning and manuevering. There is lots of research done on it. They don't just go "hey let's throw this in there, we don't make much from it anyway".

For example,a  controller makes roughly 40$ in profit. Bundling a game with a controller is a good way to get people to buy another controller...usually for people who weren't immediately thinking about replacing a controller, or the money concious who don't think a controller is worth 60$, so they never buy one. You draw people to the margin product by sacrificing a little profit. Sure you could just not bundle and just hope they buy the game, or hope they buy the controller, but instead of making 10$ or 40$, you tip the scales toward making 30$. If you can't sell the product that gives you the good margin, you incentivise. Again, all manufacturers do this. Look at any product that says "extra 10% free". They do this on shampoo, food..you name it, they do it, and they do it to make you spend 8$ on the big bottle instead of 2 dollars on the small bottle. This.Is.Fact.

Edit: Even McDonald's bundles.