By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony relying on heavily bundled and/or deep discount just to get games into million sellers list?

Galaki said:

It is not a bad thing in the customers' side. We get more bang for our bucks with either a "free" game or half-priced game very early on the new releases. However, is Sony just cutting into their profit when they utilize this way too often?

So much so that Nintendo is following their footsteps. Yes, Nintendo is copying Sony, again.

The difference is that Nintendo managed to sell those "free" games at (near) full price for years.

Well Galaki, in order for Sony to cut profits they would actually have to make a profit in the first place, which they are not doing at moment and have not for like 5 years running lol. Also, isn't it always Sony copying Nintendo? PS move and PS allstars anyone lol?

Around the Network
Devi_Survivor said:
Galaki said:

It is not a bad thing in the customers' side. We get more bang for our bucks with either a "free" game or half-priced game very early on the new releases. However, is Sony just cutting into their profit when they utilize this way too often?

So much so that Nintendo is following their footsteps. Yes, Nintendo is copying Sony, again.

The difference is that Nintendo managed to sell those "free" games at (near) full price for years.

Well Galaki, in order for Sony to cut profits they would actually have to make a profit in the first place, which they are not doing at moment and have not for like 5 years running lol. Also, isn't it always Sony copying Nintendo? PS move and PS allstars anyone lol?

He was talking about Playstation, not Sony as a whole.

But you're right, Vita desperate needs a price cut, but Sony just can't take that big of a hit right now. So they HAVE to offer value with stuff like Playstation Plus. With the 3DS, Nintendo saw that consumers didn't see it was worth the $250......so they cut the price. Sony's only option to is to convince people that the Vita is worth those $250. At least until the first Vita redesign which will probably come with a price cut.

Funny Fact: The 3DS sold about 3.5 million at full price.($250) while the Vita is at about the same with 3.7m.(but took much longer to reach this figure)
But the Vita was taking a loss since Day 1...the 3DS was profitable if I'm not mistaken. 

Hope this sheds some light on why the Vita is "flopping" and why Sony hasn't been able to turn things around.

VGKing said:
OMG people writing essays in here.....

You think that's crazy, wait a few days, and I'll show you something really special.

VGKing said:
Devi_Survivor said:
Galaki said:

He was talking about Playstation, not Sony as a whole.

But you're right, Vita desperate needs a price cut, but Sony just can't take that big of a hit right now. So they HAVE to offer value with stuff like Playstation Plus. With the 3DS, Nintendo saw that consumers didn't see it was worth the $250......so they cut the price. Sony's only option to is to convince people that the Vita is worth those $250. At least until the first Vita redesign which will probably come with a price cut.

Funny Fact: The 3DS sold about 3.5 million at full price.($250) while the Vita is at about the same with 3.7m.(but took much longer to reach this figure)
But the Vita was taking a loss since Day 1...the 3DS was profitable if I'm not mistaken. 

Hope this sheds some light on why the Vita is "flopping" and why Sony hasn't been able to turn things around.

Another problem is that Sony said PS segment will be profitable this year, and they can't really keep that promise if they have a vita pricecut. Their fiscal year ends march 31, so you could either expect a vita pricecut then, or near august/september

I think the reason why Sony did so well during Black Friday week for a 3rd place console is because of bundles and a bargain price. So good for consumers since you hardly ever buy something that's not worth the price. But then again, the PS3 has been the best selling home console for a couple of years now. More for people to enjoy.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
happydolphin said:
theprof00 said:
I'd like to know exactly what you want me to argue.
Op's comment was "sony needs to bundle to get games on million sellers list."
Which i believe is actually a direct response to my "lbp is a flop" thread which had both of this op's posts being debated shortly before this thread was made.

Not doing a psych profile, this thread is just legitimately, from his own words, saying that sony bundles their games tomake them million sellers.

I honestly don't think anything youve brought to the table even addresses that.
You seem to think it's about the strategy of bundling as a whole, but then you keep referring to sony for some reasone and ignore the other consoles, so its hard to figure out what your point is.

Bundling works. It works for all the consoles, which is why they all do it. Bundling gives consumers an extra reason to buy one console over another, and with attach rate, ends up making profits over the course of just a few games.

This isnt a discussion about bundling, which is what you said you thought it was in your first post. This is galaki saying that sony bundles to sell its games because nobody will buy them on their own, then very specifically points out that the difference is thatNintendo,( who also bundles) sells their games for full price while bundled.

So now, do you want me to discuss what YOU'VE changed the thread into, o do you want me to address the op like I've been doing and what you have not?

I have no clue what the history of it is, and I honestly don't care.

Looking at OP and OP alone, he mentioned this concern, verbatim:

"is Sony just cutting into their profit when they utilize this way too often?"

My first post addresses this head on, so that officially discredits your first critique (bolded). My reply to your critique of his mentioning the same issue with Vita is also on track with that concern.

Then my second main post contained numbers to help explain what you replied to me with, basically asking me how the PS3 managed to be #1 while having flops.

So basically, YOU fucked up.

"is Sony just cutting into their profit when they utilize this way too often?" This is written in regard to the OP title, which is "Sony relying on heavily bundled and or deep discount, just to get games into million sellers list"

verbatim.

"My first post addresses this head on, so that officially discredits your first critique (bolded)."

Your actual first post is as follows:

Video game consoles are sold to make profit on games. It's the catridge business strategy where you sell the console to sell many more games (otherwise the games would be pre-loaded).
If games are bundled, there will be no profit made with the bundled game.
OP is arguing whether this strategy is a solid one. Now discuss.

Let's look at the OP again now that we have it all on one page, along with your understanding of the thread OP.

Sony is relying on heavily bundled games and deep discounts just to get their games into the million sellers list, but is Sony just cutting into their profit when they utilize this way too often? (This sentence is composed of the title, and the OP sentence referring directly to the title)

You explained to Maverick, quite rudely ffs, that-

Video game consoles are sold to make profit on games.If games are bundled, there will be no profit made with the bundled game.
OP is arguing whether this strategy of bundling games is a solid one.

Now, your understanding of the thread would be accurate if the OP was actually asking about the strategy of bundling. However, it is not. OP is very specifically relating to a unique strategy of bundling AND price cuts for the purpose of getting games into 'the million sellers list'. He is saying that this is OK, but if it is utilized 'way too often', this strategy just cutting into their profits.

Good, we've gotten that out of the way, along with your purported notion that you've 'officially discredited' my criticism that your understanding of the OP is different from the OP.

My reply to your critique of his mentioning the same issue with Vita is also on track with that concern.

My criticism of him mentioning Vita stems from the fact that he is himself abandoning his own OP.

And here's why.
Remember the OP, and how it's trying to quantify the value of bundling games "just to get them into the million seller's list"? The object of bundling CoD and AssCreed is for a very different purpose. The bundling on Vita currently is to sell Vitas. Sony wants customers to be enticed. Furthermore, the bundle being offered was for 249$, the normal current price, and, yep, this is a holiday when there should be a price cut. Currently the material cost is roughly 160 for the 3g model. This materials mockup was done one year ago. The price has likely come down, and witout a pricedrop, it's hard to say just how much they are actually losing by "bundling" these big games as opposed to giving their console a very nice incentive to customers. The question is, 'is it worth it to Sony to sacrifice at most, 40$ on bundling a big name game, to entice consumers into buying the system'.

Sony isn't even cutting the price of the hardware during a holiday, but including a game. Shocking.

So yes, even his 'clarification of the OP for people calling him a troll' was off his own topic.

I will respond to the other parts of your post later.

I'll try not to get impatient since you've been polite.

OP:

However, is Sony just cutting into their profit when they utilize this way too often?

^Strategy.

Now, your understanding of the thread would be accurate if the OP was actually asking about the strategy of bundling. However, it is not. OP is very specifically relating to a unique strategy of bundling AND price cuts for the purpose of getting games into 'the million sellers list'. He is saying that this is OK, but if it is utilized 'way too often', this strategy just cutting into their profits.

It says And/Or, not AND. Meaning that I have at least 50% of OP in my replies, and given that the Or condition is used, I'm still on topic.

So your criticism is again taken care of. That, and your arrogant insults as well. For someone blaming me for buggin Mav about derailing the thread, you aren't one to talk.

@

Regarding Vita. Your explanation doesn't change his question. Your answer may invalidate his question, but prior to it being answer, it stands as is, related to OP.

Simple lesson of the day: stay on topic, like I was, and don't derail threads pointlessly. Be proactive, and contribute. Simple.

Happy, I assure you that this thread is not about bundling.
If you will not listen to reason I do not know what else to do.

I will try with this little metaphor/microcosm.

The thread is a joke thread about sony games, saying they only way actually sell is when Sony bundles their games heavily. OP further goes on to say that 'even so, does this strategy only result in Sony losing money'.

The thread just cannot be about bundling. Why? Because all consoles are bundled. Hell, even all controllers get bundled at some point. Happy do some analysis here. If the thread is about bundling, then how can it be about sony, when all 3 bundle? If it is about Sony unable to sell its own games, then how can it be losing money on bundling them?

Please, please, please listen to rationale.

This is just a joke thread. It's not about bundling and the merits of it. There is no argument about bundling. As in, the argument does not exist. Bundling is sound strategy, always. Sales2099 was just coming in to say "peasant sony bundling on controllers, that's just disgusting", because he's differentiating the amount his console bundles. He's at least trying, because more xboxes have been bundled with games this gen, starting with the 199$ arcade.

You were not on topic happy. stop.

theprof00 said:

The thread is a joke thread about sony games, saying they only way actually sell is when Sony bundles their games heavily. OP further goes on to say that 'even so, does this strategy only result in Sony losing money'.

The thread just cannot be about bundling. Why? Because all consoles are bundled. Hell, even all controllers get bundled at some point. Happy do some analysis here. If the thread is about bundling, then how can it be about sony, when all 3 bundle? If it is about Sony unable to sell its own games, then how can it be losing money on bundling them?

This is just a joke thread. It's not about bundling and the merits of it. There is no argument about bundling. As in, the argument does not exist. Bundling is sound strategy, always. Sales2099 was just coming in to say "peasant sony bundling on controllers, that's just disgusting", because he's differentiating the amount his console bundles. He's at least trying, because more xboxes have been bundled with games this gen, starting with the 199$ arcade.

It feel like I'm in the Mafia thread or something :p

theprof00 said:

I understand your position, I  understand where you're coming from, but I don't understand why you assume things about this thread, ever since you came in.

How are you certain it's a joke thread? If it's the concerns you mentioned, let me answer them:

• The thread is about bundling whether all consoles bundle or not. Whether consoles bundle or not doesn't change the fact that this thread is, truly, about bundling. Same logic for controllers.
  • All 3 bundle, the question in OP related to the Sony's bundling measures, the extend, the nature of the titles bundled, and so on and so forth.
  • If Sony is unable to sell its own games, then the bundling would be evidence that their games don't sell at a regular price. Simple as that. I don't say I agree that it automatically equates to that, but it's EVIDENCE for it, whether the theory ends up being correct or not.

Stop telling me to listen to rationale when you are NOT making sense. You're clear, that is true I read you very clearly, but you're off logic.

You don't know if this is a joke thread, his points may have merit and until it's debated we just don't know.

Bundling is NOT NECESSARILY a sound strategy IF the system could be sold at a higher price, that's called UNDERSELLING.

I was on topic, and I have no way to convince you, so this is my last reply to you. I realize you don't listen to reason. I read your PoV, I understand it and I DISAGREE.

Feel free to reply, if you decide to take a change of attitude feel free to PM me, but this is my last post on the matter with you ITT.

pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
I don't get the point. Why not ask the same question about Nintendo and MS games?

All companies do it, but Sony has a lot simultaneosly and often I think is the reason he used them as an example.  But yes all three bundle 1st party games.

MS bundle more than one game usually too around the holidays. Nintendo hard bundle a LOT of games, most of them called "Mario" something. It's hard to buy a Nintendo system without a bundled game coming with it.

As I said all three companies do it.  I see no need in talking about bundles.  It is a way to get 1st party games in somebody's hands.  Personally I find it to be a good strategy on Sony's part.  Just my opinion though as I can't prove that it has worked on selling future installments.

Just making a list on all bundled games I'm sure we could put almost every big exclusive down for each of the three companies.