By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Final Fantasy XIII-3 really needed?

Gilgamesh said:
Wlakiz said:
Thats like asking was Star Wars ep1,2,3 needed? or Indiana Jones Crystal Skull? Or another season of Simpsons..etc.

I think SE learned from the American Culture to milk a series/franchise to oblivion instead of making a master piece and call it quits.

But atleast Star Wars and Indiana Jones sold well and was well received but FFXIII was horrible with the first and second one, how can a third help anything?

You say that they were horrible when in this thread enough people said the games were at least ok. Might not help you personally but we'll see how many it will sell.

Wait, you're defending Crystal skull...? Ah i see what you did there ;p

Around the Network
Alara317 said:
Wlakiz said:
Thats like asking was Star Wars ep1,2,3 needed? or Indiana Jones Crystal Skull? Or another season of Simpsons..etc.

I think SE learned from the American Culture to milk a series/franchise to oblivion instead of making a master piece and call it quits.

Star Wars prequels weren't that bad.  Not great by any means, but certainly not the terrible franchise destroying entries people make them out to sound like. 

Crystal Skull was better than temple of Doom, and aside from the nuclear testing site scene was just as good as Last Crusade or Raiders.  Well, not QUITE, but comparably.  If you actually think 'aliens' is any more out of place than 'religious artifacts' or 'voodoo chiefs', I've got some sad news for you. 

The Simpsons is as good as it's ever been.  Kind of getting sick of people saying new simpsons sucks just becuase it's not as biting and risque as it used to be (comparatively).  the writing and humor are still easily some of the best on television, and no amount of 'it was better in the 90's' nostalgia will change that. 

The Star wars prequels were terrible. There were no character growth or memorable scenes (minus the 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOO'.. which turned into an viral joke).  Each lightsaber fight scene in ep 4, 5, 6 had a consequence, while Georgia lucus threw in lightsaber fights in the prequels for the sake of having them.

Crystal Skull was alright, but it wasn't needed. Seeing an aged Indiana Jones just ruined the character that we all remembered and loved. Its like watching an aged James Bond that didn't have any style or badassness.

Simpsons turned to shit. Each year they make homer dumber and dumber. Lisa was suppose to be the voice of reason, now she is just a whiny nerd. I mean I understand they are trying to compete with family guy but in the process they lost their charm. They should just end the series instead of letting it die a long painful death of another season.

No. Heck, FFXIII-2 was not needed and just added unecessary twists to the story. Would've been best if things ended with the first game.
I'm not even expecting FXIII-3 to sell half of what XIII-2 did.

ff13 was disappointing. At this point im just hoping they decide to release type 0 here in the states.

Xxain said:
SE made a statement recently about FFXIII defeating FF7 in sells. Thats what XIII-2 and 3 are about. SE is annoyed FFXIII that ff13 and lighting did not become the phenomenon thats FF7/cloud and there gonna keep shoving them down our throat intill the are satisfied weve had enough. They really wanted 13 to be ff7

Haha. I thought about this too.

OT: This is a tricky one. On the one hand, I personally want it. I'm sure many others want it too. It will also probably be profitable for SE thanks to them using the same engine and all.

On the other hand, most people don't want a part 3 and this might her the franchise ever more.

Seems to me like a bad business decision.

Around the Network

franchise has been destroyed, its done. Basically the only good thing square enix has going for it at this point is the eidos franchises IMO.

Personally, Square hasn't been good since they merged with enix. Seriously, go back and look at squares games before that merger and then after and tell me that there hasn't been a dip in quality.

As far as JRPG's go, right now it is all about Mystwalker and monolith. The late in gen wii games Last Story and Xenoblade were the two best JRPG's of the generation.

Nem said:

No. Heck, FFXIII-2 was not needed and just added unecessary twists to the story. Would've been best if things ended with the first game.
I'm not even expecting FXIII-3 to sell half of what XIII-2 did.

Oh my, this would be a bet I'm most interested in.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

gergroy said:
franchise has been destroyed, its done. Basically the only good thing square enix has going for it at this point is the eidos franchises IMO.

Personally, Square hasn't been good since they merged with enix. Seriously, go back and look at squares games before that merger and then after and tell me that there hasn't been a dip in quality.

As far as JRPG's go, right now it is all about Mystwalker and monolith. The late in gen wii games Last Story and Xenoblade were the two best JRPG's of the generation.

I think the Kitase/ Toriyama/ Nomura/ Nojima Final Fantasy days are over. That FF8 style of Final Fantasy is seeing its last days. I think FF Versus will be the swan song of that era of Final Fantasy games.

There is only ONE chance left for Final Fantasy, and that is the natural evolution of FF12. FF12 is a sad story of developers trying to make the next generation of Final Fantasy games and being forced to make a game that Square Enix felt would appeal to their (FF8) Japanese demographic.

They have one chance left for redemption. I have no doubt Hiroshi Minagawa and Hiroyuki Ito will save the series. Whether the series will ever be as popular as it once was is impossible to tell. I think if the brand is marketed with the FF12 style of games, they have a chance.

Have faith, Ito and Minagawa and FF Tactics team will not let us down.

FF XIII and FF XIII-2 wasn't needed..

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I already hate this fucking game

Watch live video from Totally Random on TwitchTV