By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hundreds queue up for Wii U debut in Japan

TeddostheFireKing said:
JTurner82 said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
Meret said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
gentii said:

Yes, but for the most part, Western games sell well in the west and Japanese games do well in Japan (excluding first party). These don't normally overlap, the only exceptions are Konami (MGS and PES in areas), Capcom (SF, RE and others do moderately well) and Final Fantasy. Now these games aren't announced for the WiiU yet (PES may be, but I don't think it is), but otherwise, Japanese games won't sell the WiiU to Westerners.

Similarly, the PSP did well in the West when Western games came to the system, when that support died, sales dropped, even when Japanese games kept coming. The 3DS is killing the Vita right now, but it's hardly getting insane sales in the west compared to the DS or Gameboy because although Japanese games are there, western ones aren't.

Considering how WiiU is posed to hit in the Japanese market, I'm willing to bet they will be announced.

I admit Capcom will probably release a Resident Evil game at some point for the WiiU and a PES game is certain, but I'm not convinced MGS is coming over (especially with Ground Zeroes and now 5 reportedly on PS3/360), I'm not sure how often Capcom plans to release SF games, but considering Tatsunoko vs. Capcom sold poorly, I'm not certain there is an audience for fighters on Nintendo platforms right now.

Square games could go either way, I was certain there would be a Kingdom Hearts game for the Wii, but that didn't happen and with the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 port not announced for the Wii-U, I don't think its going to see much love here. Final Fantasy is also highly unlikely, but we'll see. Dragon Quest is here now, but they normally release DQ titles on the system with the highest sales, so I think the next game in line is going to be on the 3DS anyway.

MGS will take some convincing for Konami to put it on WiiU, but I DO see KH and FF hitting WiiU; Nintendo Wii didn't get either of those two games because the specs were so demanding for both.  Just because that happened for Wii doesn't mean the same will happen for WiiU.

Then there's Tales from Namco; given that they are working with Nintendo on SSB4, I'd say the chances are likely, but we'll have to wait and see for now, because WiiU has to capture the Japanese market first.  Iwata-san and company are going to have a lot of work to do to get those games on their platform.

Around the Network
JTurner82 said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
JTurner82 said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
Meret said:
TeddostheFireKing said:
gentii said:

I admit Capcom will probably release a Resident Evil game at some point for the WiiU and a PES game is certain, but I'm not convinced MGS is coming over (especially with Ground Zeroes and now 5 reportedly on PS3/360), I'm not sure how often Capcom plans to release SF games, but considering Tatsunoko vs. Capcom sold poorly, I'm not certain there is an audience for fighters on Nintendo platforms right now.

Square games could go either way, I was certain there would be a Kingdom Hearts game for the Wii, but that didn't happen and with the Kingdom Hearts 1.5 port not announced for the Wii-U, I don't think its going to see much love here. Final Fantasy is also highly unlikely, but we'll see. Dragon Quest is here now, but they normally release DQ titles on the system with the highest sales, so I think the next game in line is going to be on the 3DS anyway.

MGS will take some convincing for Konami to put it on WiiU, but I DO see KH and FF hitting WiiU; Nintendo Wii didn't get either of those two games because the specs were so demanding for both.  Just because that happened for Wii doesn't mean the same will happen for WiiU.

Very true, I think KH is much more likely from the two since it has a history on the DS and now the 3DS, Final Fantasy doesn't really have anything do to with Nintendo right now, but with Theatrhythm I guess they could be testing the waters (having 90% sell through in Japan is a good sign).

I fully believe that Japan is going to be Nintendoland (hehe) for the 8th gen. Obviously the 3DS will do very well but I think that WiiU will dominate the console space in a big way. Sony is really going to have to surprise people with the PS4/Omni in order to compete with WiiU.

hundred people here and there aren't something spectacular. Dengeki even mentioned something like 30 people in Shinjuku's Yodobashi Camera, which is fairly low.

If it's only hundreds lining up, then I'm going to peg sales around 100K. Tops!

If it was thousands, possibly 500K or more, but we're only talking hundreds lining up.

Around the Network
gentii said:
benao87 said:
Pics or it didn't happen.

Thanks mate. Here's a link vicviper shared on another thread.

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/570/570038/

Galaki said:
Does anyone even bothered to read the title?
It said hundreds. So, Japan will open with less than 999 units. I am going to guess 325 units.

Pwahahaha. Well, this is exciting. Japan hearts Nintnedo, which is indeed good news.

350K to 500K

blackstarr said:
alright japan, don't let us down. 600k this week? ;) heheh

Like in europe or US there will sale as many Wii U as nintendo could produce. But in Germany and Uk there had been only 50.000 launch consoles available, and a few weeks before there has been rumors that nintendo only has a few consoles for launch in japsn.

yes can't see many problems for nintendo in japan for the WiiU cpmpared to the others but not sure how any of teh next gen home consoles will sell in japan

Above & Beyond