By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Current vs Last, a Console Sales Story (COMPLETE!)

Final Smash: Should somone one do this at the start of every gen?

yes 65 75.58%

no 3 3.49%

show me the money! 7 8.14%

Total:75

I thought I'd throw in a couple of cumulative graphs using NPD data and Media Create numbers (rather than using VGC data), I'm not bothering with Europe without shipment data. I haven't really gone further back with MC because they only start out in 2004. If anyone has other NPD data for PS2/Xbox I'd add that. I threw in PSV purely because it was the last launch that got a certain type of attention that we're seeing repeated right now.

NPD

Media Create

VGChartz

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:

I thought I'd throw in a couple of cumulative graphs using NPD data and Media Create numbers (rather than using VGC data), I'm not bothering with Europe without shipment data. I haven't really gone further back with MC because they only start out in 2004. If anyone has other NPD data for PS2/Xbox I'd add that. I threw in PSV purely because it was the last launch that got a certain type of attention that we're seeing repeated right now.

NPD

Media Create

Seriously, GC sold MORE than Wii?! Anyways, with these graphs Wii U isn't looking like it's doing too bad anyways...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

This thread has become increasingly useful in dispelling the "Wii U is bombing" canard.

Updated the data with various changes in VGC.

milkyjoe said:

NPD

Media Create

Awesome graphs .

WiiU is doing pretty decent. It's all normal behavior really, a console in it's baby-stage.

And those GameCube sales O.O!!!

Around the Network

Those GC sales do look impressive but without the PS2 and Xbox for comparison it doesn't tell the full story.

People had a lot more disposable income in 2001/02

So even the 20 million sold gamecube had a better launch than Wii U. That is pretty bad. It won't be long before those sub 100k numbers show up.

runqvist said:
So even the 20 million sold gamecube had a better launch than Wii U. That is pretty bad. It won't be long before those sub 100k numbers show up.

um, that 20 million sold gamecube sold more than the wii.  

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
runqvist said:

um, that 20 million sold gamecube sold more than the wii.  

It did not sell more worldwide, as far as I know.

runqvist said:

as far as i understand it, the original xbox sold more at launch than the 360, so launches isnt much to go by it would seem...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.