By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does it seem like the vita is getting more games than the 3ds?

Player2 said:

The Vita is getting games with high metascore at a faster pace than the 3DS. However people is buying the 3DS, and even you were interested in it. Nintendo must be using dark magic or something.

Wait is it? PSV has been on the market for 10 months now and it only has 1 game with a metascore of 90+. 3DS has 4 in 20 months, which is on average 1 every 5 months, or twice as fast as PSV.

In the future, I only see this shifting even furtur in Nintendo's favor with games like Dragon Quest VII, Fire Emblem, rumored Donkey Kong Land Returns, Monster Hunter 4, and Bravery Default coming along.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Nem said:

Its a ridiculous assumption. Half of the Vita games dont even leave Japan aswell.

From next years list see the difference:

For Vita:
Dragon's Crown
Final Fantasy X HD
Killzone Mercenary (I'm especially excited for this one)
Soul Sacrifice
Dead or Alive 5 Plus
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

For 3DS:
Ace Attorney 5
Animal Crossing
Devil Summoner: Soul Hacker
Donkey Kong Country: Returns (rumored)

Dragon Quest VII
Fire Emblem (new footage from Nintendo Direct looks awesome)
Luigi's Mansion
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Prof Layton vs. Ace Attorney
Shin Megami Tensai IV
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate
Brain Age

Vita: 2 Ports of PS3 games, im assuming thats a new Sly cooper as i dont follow the series, but it would be 3 exclusive Vita games.

3DS: 5 exclusive games and a port. Also these exclusives are the size of Castlevania, Luigi's mansion and Animal crossing and the port is no less than Monster Hunter 3G. The last 3 will probably outsell all exclusives Vita will have for the year. This is also not counting Bravely default wich has been trademarked already for the west.

The 3DS is a smashing sucess in Japan, its garanteed to have plenty more titles announced to it next year. I think this is just another case of denial. Dont get me wrong, i want a reason to buy a Vita. If it had full backwards compatibility i would already be planning to get one, but those argument are too weak and everyone can see through the desperation.

Your list is incomplete, just look at the Most Wanted section if you want ot check for all the games. I bolded what I added.

So 3 exclusive Vita games, a port, and 3 enhanced remakes.

and 12 exclusive 3DS games, a port, and an enchanced remake.

This kinda favors 3DS....just a bit.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Simple more powerful system so people can make better games without needing to include any 3d

ryuzaki57 said:
Kenology said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Because Nintendo 1st party games are already choking 3rd parties' business on 3DS. Look at Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney...

Yeah, cherrypick one title and ignore all the other 3rd party games that put up decent numbers in 2012.  And PLvAA has only been out for one week and outsold Animal Crossing (1).  You're just spewing garbage, ryuzaki.

(1) Not sure I follow. Animal Crossing opened at something like 600k, it's now 1m+. Layton achieved a mere 130K. it can't just be series fatigue. You talk about decent numbers but Kingdom Hearts is 300Kish in Japan when KH Birth by Sleep was at 700k week 4. Resident Evil Revelations is under 300k while Racoon City is 350k and RE6 800k+ (with Revelations getting far better feedback). Project X Zone is still near 120k... I don't see much good news for 3rd parties on 3DS. Only SquareEnix and Capcom seem to do OK.

Ok, let me help you:

Nintendo's own software is powerful indeed but it's in no way choking the life out of 3rd party games at all.  PLvsAA sold a mere 130k it's first week but I think it's Layton is holding PLvsAA back.  We'll know soon enough once the next AA5 releases. The most plausible explanation is series fatigue and isn't attributable to Nintendo's software "choking" it like you said.  Your Resident Evil comparison isn't a good example.  The RE franchise is the opposite of MoHun, where iterations perform better on handheld than on console and vise-versa.  Same thing for the DS and Vita Call of Duty games, they perform much better on console than handheld.  LBP is another example.  The PS3 had a bunch of Resident Evil games and the base is already there.  The 3DS had a spinoff and then a main line game.  Sales increased from Mercenaries to Revelations, and comparing a console RE to a handheld RE isn't really helping you.  Just because 3rd party games don't meet your arbitrary standards doesn't mean they were bad investments.  Marvelous went on record saying Rune Factory 4 was the highest selling game in the series at just 150k units.  What about Namco's Run for your Money game that had the single biggest increase week over week increase we've ever seen on the charts?  Leaving the top 50 and then bouncing back into the top 20 with like a 200%+ increase.  What about Medarot 7?  Little Battlers eXperience?  And also, you kind of invalidate your argument by moving the goalposts and exempting Capcom and SquareEnix - that definitely wouldn't have looked good for you...  :)

Also, if 3rd parties are in such a bad position on the 3DS, why is it getting all the AAA games?  Why was a new DQ remake announced and dated?  Why was SMT4 announced for the 3DS?  Why all this support then?  I'm not sure I follow...

spurgeonryan said:

Every time i look at the vita thread there is a new announcement, game, dlc, etc. How can a sytem that is struggling so bad get more dev. business than the 3DS? Does sony have some hold on devs? Does not seem like something they would do.

These list do left some titles out, titles that don't have release date for example.

PSV http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/releases

3DS http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/releases

As you can see, 3DS do have more titles coming in the next few months. However, if you only look at the titles releasing in December 3DS wins by a large margin. then again I'm not sure if these list are missing any titles. 

Now, if you are being one of those americans that think that all that matters is their country, then you may have a point. There are 4 releases for each handheld in North America. Including the Instant Game Collection Bundle, as one release. And when included the next 4 months there are 10 releases for 3DS and 8 for PSV. Not really a big difference

@pokoko you seem to ignore that there are quite a few "3DS haters" that do make you people look bad. I ain't defending 3DS supporters, just agreeing that there are quite a few posters that should really work on their arguments.

@mugen Well we are in a sales thread, even if this thread is located in the Gaming Discussion, sales are a factor that is bound to be included. You could even assume thats the point of the OP, more interested in the health of the systems rather than certain particular games. What you state is cool, you may have a problem tho, if sales do not pick up and reach a more healthier baseline, things will not be good.

Around the Network

Maybe I am crazy but I think Square Enix, sewing as how their Dragon Quest games have sold immensely on the 3DS, will shift their release of Final Fantasy X HD from Vita to 3DS :S

Kenology said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Kenology said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Because Nintendo 1st party games are already choking 3rd parties' business on 3DS. Look at Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney...

Yeah, cherrypick one title and ignore all the other 3rd party games that put up decent numbers in 2012.  And PLvAA has only been out for one week and outsold Animal Crossing (1).  You're just spewing garbage, ryuzaki.

(1) Not sure I follow. Animal Crossing opened at something like 600k, it's now 1m+. Layton achieved a mere 130K. it can't just be series fatigue. You talk about decent numbers but Kingdom Hearts is 300Kish in Japan when KH Birth by Sleep was at 700k week 4. Resident Evil Revelations is under 300k while Racoon City is 350k and RE6 800k+ (with Revelations getting far better feedback). Project X Zone is still near 120k... I don't see much good news for 3rd parties on 3DS. Only SquareEnix and Capcom seem to do OK.

Ok, let me help you:

Nintendo's own software is powerful indeed but it's in no way choking the life out of 3rd party games at all.  PLvsAA sold a mere 130k it's first week but I think it's Layton is holding PLvsAA back.  We'll know soon enough once the next AA5 releases. The most plausible explanation is series fatigue and isn't attributable to Nintendo's software "choking" it like you said.  Your Resident Evil comparison isn't a good example.  The RE franchise is the opposite of MoHun, where iterations perform better on handheld than on console and vise-versa.  Same thing for the DS and Vita Call of Duty games, they perform much better on console than handheld.  LBP is another example.  The PS3 had a bunch of Resident Evil games and the base is already there.  The 3DS had a spinoff and then a main line game.  Sales increased from Mercenaries to Revelations, and comparing a console RE to a handheld RE isn't really helping you.  Just because 3rd party games don't meet your arbitrary standards doesn't mean they were bad investments.  Marvelous went on record saying Rune Factory 4 was the highest selling game in the series at just 150k units.  What about Namco's Run for your Money game that had the single biggest increase week over week increase we've ever seen on the charts?  Leaving the top 50 and then bouncing back into the top 20 with like a 200%+ increase.  What about Medarot 7?  Little Battlers eXperience?  And also, you kind of invalidate your argument by moving the goalposts and exempting Capcom and SquareEnix - that definitely wouldn't have looked good for you...  :)

Also, if 3rd parties are in such a bad position on the 3DS, why is it getting all the AAA games?  Why was a new DQ remake announced and dated?  Why was SMT4 announced for the 3DS?  Why all this support then?  I'm not sure I follow...

Well now YOU cherrypick Rune Factory 4 to defend your thesis after giving lame excuses for RE. Marvelous support 3DS so much that they shifted Senran Kagura to Vita even though it was doing so good. And 150k was quite achievable on Vita too btw.

And what are those games you mention? (Run for Money, Medarot!!????) Do people know about those? I'm telling you about established games/franchises, not some radom casual games that non-gamers buy on a whim. If 3rd parties succeed with such... let's say unexpected software I'm perfectly fine with this. But it's gonna be DS/Wii all over again, where playstation platforms eventually get most of the big titles.

Also, Capcom and SquareEnix aren't the subject here because if Nintendo hadn't struck some shady deal to get MH and DQ, 3DS would be behind Vita. Those games would sell on any system. 

ryuzaki57 said:

Well now YOU cherrypick Rune Factory 4 to defend your thesis after giving lame excuses for RE. Marvelous support 3DS so much that they shifted Senran Kagura to Vita even though it was doing so good. And 150k was quite achievable on Vita too btw.

And what are those games you mention? (Run for Money, Medarot!!????) Do people know about those? I'm telling you about established games/franchises, not some radom casual games that non-gamers buy on a whim. If 3rd parties succeed with such... let's say unexpected software I'm perfectly fine with this. But it's gonna be DS/Wii all over again, where playstation platforms eventually get most of the big titles.

Also, Capcom and SquareEnix aren't the subject here because if Nintendo hadn't struck some shady deal to get MH and DQ, 3DS would be behind Vita. Those games would sell on any system. 

1 - http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/05/core-kagura-series-will-be-for-3ds-or-its-successor-spinoffs-for-other-consoles/

And by the way, only you care for that.

2 - Apparently they do know those, since it sold more than any Vita game. So, people know.

3 - Shady deal... lol. It's called business, you know, that thing that's good for both parts.

You're the funniest poster here, imo.

VicViper said:
ryuzaki57 said:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/05/core-kagura-series-will-be-for-3ds-or-its-successor-spinoffs-for-other-consoles/

And by the way, only you care for that.

Shady deal... lol. You're the funniest poster here, imo.

Oops! I must admit I overlooked that... My Marvelous argument fall into pieces. But shady deal I said, shady deal I maintain!

pezus said:
Vinniegambini said:

Maybe I am crazy but I think Square Enix, sewing as how their Dragon Quest games have sold immensely on the 3DS, will shift their release of Final Fantasy X HD from Vita to 3DS :S

That would be stupid because 3DS can't display HD (not that Vita can either, but it's much closer )

lol I guess 3DS bomba? :P