By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii-U Network Extremely Slow

Chrizum said:
No update should take 5 hours to download and install. I can format my PC and install Windows faster than that.

To be clear: my internet speed is 50Mbit/s but real word speed is easily 2MB/s, so it's definitely Nintendo's lousy network servers. I hope they fix it soon because playing online would be disastrous this way.

I haven't had any issues playing online, about 20 hours so far on black ops 2 and trine 2 and I have watched plenty of youtube videos on the tv for the kids while still surfing the web on the pad.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
VetteDude said:
MDMAlliance said:
VetteDude said:
Chrizum said:
Well we're 45 minutes further and the progress bar has gone up a bit. But it's still as low as ~15% now even after 2 hours of downloading. My download speed is usually around 2MB/s so it can't be that. Nintendo has a problem with the network, there's just no denying for me.

You probably mean 2 Mb/s, which isn'that fast at all. It can't be 2 MB because internet speed isn't measured in bytes.

Oh, I wasn't paying attention to the capitalization.  It seems like this is about a difference in bits and bytes.  I don't really know about that stuff.

It's not a big deal at all! It's pretty much understood that internet speed is measured in Mb/s, so even if someone says MB/s, it's pretty understood. But because of the context of saying the speed was fast, it was confusing. 2 Megabytes/s, is 16 Megabits/s, which would be pretty good internet. But 2Mb/s is average DSL speed.

lol? most download programms I used measure in MByte/s - yes ISP buzz words are in Mbit, but people who frequently dl sth from the internet from my experience will always talk in MB/s

It's not a buzzword, because that's how data speed is supposed to be measured.

superchunk said:
As for speed,... yeah idk. Its weird.

The browser is extremely fast and very useful. However, the downloads for both updates and the demo I downloaded all took far longer than I'd expect for that size of data. I think Nintendo really needs to do something about its update servers. It could still be data traffic though as there probably are a lot of global users taxing that part of the system. Either way, Nintendo needs to beef that shit up.

On Topic: My download failed like a few mentioned about 1/3 into it.  I thought it was done (after about 20 or so mins) but then realized it failed. It restarted back at the same percentage and took about 40 - 50 mins tops to download and install.  I only have a 20 mbps d/l connetion.

VetteDude said:
Lafiel said:

lol? most download programms I used measure in MByte/s - yes ISP buzz words are in Mbit, but people who frequently dl sth from the internet from my experience will always talk in MB/s

It's not a buzzword, because that's how data speed is supposed to be measured.

it's a buzzword because the numbers look bigger and filesizes are usually displayed in megabytes and gigabytes, so bytes are the natural way to measure download/upload speed in

I guess Reggie's body was ready but the servers weren't