By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Blowout: GPGPU, DirectX 11; Sony London to “Set the Bar for the Industry”, Global Illumination, Instant Radiosity, More

platformmaster918 said:
superchunk said:

That is really a stupid argument to have in an attempt to say Sony will have a super console.

• PS3 was a dramatic jump from PS2 going from weakest console to arguably the most powerful.
  • PS3 was the worst financial home console Sony has ever made.
  • PS3 took Sony from two consecutive generations of dominating the home market by over 70% to being in third place with about 25%.
  • PS3 is not an approach Sony will want to repeat.

So while its true that Sony has never "marginally" improved the power from one gen to the next, until the PS3 they had also never came close to complete and utter failure and bankruptcy as a company.

Look at their current state... they are financially weak, have a failing portable console, and a marginally successful home console. (along with a lot of other products that are in a wide range of financial circumstances... most not good)

On top of that, they are a Japanese company based on the Yen that is trading horribly to all other currencies right now. Simply put, Sony cannot afford to take massive PS3 level losses on a console again. Therefore, like the Vita that launched with a very small loss, the PS4 will launch with a very small loss. It only makes obvious sense.

They also won't want to put out another $600 console as that proved to be an unwise decision and clearly limited PS3's initial sales. So anyone should expect the PS4 to be around a more normalized price point of ~$400 max.

With those two obvious points in mind, you simply are not going to get a console that is anything more than marginally more powerful than the PS3. Its just not going to happen.

Like the WiiU, it will be more about the newer technologies (stuff in DX11 or similar) and general architecture/services provided than it will be about raw numbers in power.

WiiU is sold at VERY small loss and has a tablet controller for $300 and $350 and basically is on par with current gen otherwise (other than ram which is dirt cheap).  PS4 should be able to have a faster processor, better graphics card (DX11 capable of high resolutions), and at least twice as much ram and still fall safely in the $400 range potentially being profitable or a small loss.  I'm thinking $400 and $450 with an attachment (dongle I believe was rumored) for PS3 BC as an optional peripheral to be purchased separately.  That would still be $150 less for the best model than PS3 was at launch and it will have a lot easier architecture and not have to push a new format this time.  They just need to keep the controller simpler and be the true gamer's console of choice.

While I agree with your general statement (except WiiU's GPU is not at part with current gen... just CPU), that was not the argument I was making against the person I quoted.

He basically said its always been this PS1<<<<PS2<<<<PS3 and thus it will be PS3<<<<PS4. I said that is bullocks and based on everything that exists now financially for Sony as well as lessons learned from PS3 and more recently Vita, you can only expect PS3<WiiU<PS4... much more marginal increases in raw power. The bigger differences will be in the newer technologies available. The WiiU has access to technologies and APIs that PS360 simply cannot do. Same will be with the PS4 and neXtBox. All three will have DX11-esque tech that will allow more differences that a raw increase in power ever would... all without unnecessarily increasing costs.

At $400, PS4 will be a 3 to 5 times the PS3 but capable of so much more at the same time.

Around the Network

Platformaster
Lol
true gamer? could you explain that a lil bit?

DieAppleDie said:
Platformaster
Lol

I mean the more hardcore crowd that doesn't want motion controls.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
DieAppleDie said:
Platformaster
Lol

Except its rumored and backed up by Sony's own new patent, that PS4 will focus on a new controller that merges Move with a typical dual shock.

superchunk said:
platformmaster918 said:
DieAppleDie said:
Platformaster
Lol

Except its rumored and backed up by Sony's own new patent, that PS4 will focus on a new controller that merges Move with a typical dual shock.

that could just be an option for those that want it.  Kind of like move was just an option.  Hell that could be a new PS3 controller.  Not to mention making a move have sex with a dualshock isn't as expensive as making an Ipad have sex with a wiimote.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Dude you are making things worst
leave it there

Good thing PS4 will have GPGPU, hopefully it will be able to play ports of WiiU games.

The idea that Nintendo makes weak systems and Sony make high-end powerful systems is so funny. Funny because it is only one generation old. The N64 was much more powerful than PS1 and the Gamecube more powerful than PS2. Sony dominated those generations with basic tech and mainstream appeal. When Nintendo went cheap and mainstream with Wii and Sony went niche with the expensive PS3, fortunes reversed. If Sony is wise, they will release a moderately powerful machine at a good price. If they realease something very high-end and expensive again they are at risk of following the path walked by Nintendo for two generations and approaching GameCube-like levels of irrelevancy.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Good thing PS4 will have GPGPU, hopefully it will be able to play ports of WiiU games.

The idea that Nintendo makes weak systems and Sony make high-end powerful systems is so funny. Funny because it is only one generation old. The N64 was much more powerful than PS1 and the Gamecube more powerful than PS2. Sony dominated those generations with basic tech and mainstream appeal. When Nintendo went cheap and mainstream with Wii and Sony went niche with the expensive PS3, fortunes reversed. If Sony is wise, they will release a moderately powerful machine at a good price. If they realease something very high-end and expensive again they are at risk of following the path walked by Nintendo for two generations and approaching GameCube-like levels of irrelevancy.

Well thre is a big game between PS1 and N64 (like PS3 to Wii?) but the gap between PS2 and GC is low... it's like Wii U (GC) to PS3 (PS2).

I expected a big gap between PS4 and Wii U... like N64 to PS1 or PS3 to Wii.

I posted this even before .... Playstation 4 predictions

- A10 main APU (roughly 200 GFLOPs) + 28nm customized 7870 GPGPU (approx. 1.8 TFLOP)
- 4GB main RAM (DDR4)
- New Dual Shock Move controller (transforming controller, turns into a dual wielded Move)
- Ships with 720p (HD) PSEye Camera to go with the new controller

- Can wirelessly stream a video signal to tablets or smartphones or the Vita. 

- x4 USB 3.0 slots, Blu-Ray drive
- Propietary Sony-brand HDDs only (people will complain about this).
- $399.99 Basic (32GB flash), $499.99 Deluxe (game + HDD included)
- November 2013 Launch w/ Uncharted Trilogy (1080P), Battlefield 4, Modern Warfare 4, Madden NFL, GTAV. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes as well in launch window.
- Same size as the PS3 Slim (first rev), 100 watt power consumption, low power mode.

It will destroy the Wii U in raw horsepower.

Soundwave said:

I posted this even before .... Playstation 4 predictions

- A10 main APU (roughly 200 GFLOPs) + 28nm customized 7870 GPGPU (approx. 1.8 TFLOP)  I will be happy with that
 - 4GB main RAM (DDR4) 8 chips DDR3, 128bits, > 24GB/s
- New Dual Shock Move controller (transforming controller, turns into a dual wielded Move)
- Ships with 720p (HD) PSEye Camera to go with the new controller

- Can wirelessly stream a video signal to tablets or smartphones or the Vita.

- x4 USB 3.0 slots, Blu-Ray drive
- Propietary Sony-brand HDDs only (people will complain about this) Standard SSD 2.5"
- $399.99 Basic (32GB flash), $499.99 Deluxe (game + HDD included) Both with HDD (SSD) but the Deluxe have the new 3D helmet included
 - November 2013 Launch w/ Uncharted Trilogy (1080P), Battlefield 4, Modern Warfare 4, Madden NFL, GTAV. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes as well in launch window. 2014 launch and none of these games
- Same size as the PS3 Slim (first rev), 100 watt power consumption, low power mode.

It will destroy the Wii U in raw horsepower.

My bolded opnions.

Very nice config.