By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Blowout: GPGPU, DirectX 11; Sony London to “Set the Bar for the Industry”, Global Illumination, Instant Radiosity, More

Heavenly_King said:
ishiki said:
LemonSlice said:
Isn't tessellation used to make distant objects look like crap? Or is that just variable LOD and I'm mixing things up?

In the past. Yes. It's evolved I had article but links not working. I'll findanother

I thought it was used for adding more polygons to the polygons, without actually adding more polygons :D

I HAD to make this after reading it:

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
dahuman said:
Oh boy, I can't wait for Etho and others all of a sudden start praising how wonderful a GPGPU is and how it will change gaming after reading that thing while it didn't matter on the Wii U :P

Hummmmm... really? Same anwser... GPGPU will not be used (at least not in this new generation) and particularly there is no change of water for wine because of GPGPU... there is no miracle... no game running or looking better because the GPGPU.

The others points in the article was expected.

go back to drinking and enjoy your night :P

tagged for later reading

Good news i guess?

Wlakiz said:
as someone who has done CUDA programming, I can tell you that GPGPU programming no easier than using cell. Objects needs to be copied to the GPU's memory, which could range from fast but small local memory to the slow but larger shared memory. When you copy back, the memory needs to coalesced to achieve optimal write performance. Not to mention, you need to manage and sync warps (cluster of threads) which can cause huge bottlenecks if you require all data before sending stuff back to the main memory.

Of course, this is all from 3 years ago.. not sure how GPGPU programming changed these days.

Shouldn't AMD's HSA (Heterogeneous Systems Architecture) inititives and memory architecture in consoles make it a lot easier? I know AMD is aiming for full HSA support in it's 2014 GPUs in the PC space, but I imagine it would be much easier to implement in a console espicialy if as rumoured they are providing the GPU and CPUs for the next Xbox and playstation and they will both presumably have unified RAM (I don't know how eDRAM etc fits into that). 

I don't know much about it other than a few articles I have read myself.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Just wait until Sony shows their new gamepad with a screen on it.

Galaki said:
Just wait until Sony shows their new gamepad with a screen on it.

it's already out there for 250 bucks :P

zarx said:

These should help explain what tessellation can be used for

That alien demo blew my frakking mind.

Trunkin said:
zarx said:

These should help explain what tessellation can be used for

That alien demo blew my frakking mind.

isn't it amazing that we already had it for years(that demo is from 2010 lol) but console gaming kept holding us back?

So Microsoft moving in to consoles has achieved a victory in that Sony has moved from OpenGL to DirectX? Keeping DirectX in the forefront was one of the strategic reasons for MS entering console gaming hardware.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix