By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Blowout: GPGPU, DirectX 11; Sony London to “Set the Bar for the Industry”, Global Illumination, Instant Radiosity, More

Heavenly_King said:
ishiki said:
LemonSlice said:
Isn't tessellation used to make distant objects look like crap? Or is that just variable LOD and I'm mixing things up?

In the past. Yes. It's evolved I had article but links not working. I'll findanother

I thought it was used for adding more polygons to the polygons, without actually adding more polygons :D

Tesselation creates an illusion that theres more polygons on a rendered object than there actually is. So yeah

Yay!!!

Around the Network

I'm sure that neither Sony nor MS will release a PS 3.5/X360.5. Both new consoles will have a good leap compared to this gen and will be close in terms of power.

thismeintiel said:
dahuman said:
thismeintiel said:
dahuman said:
Oh boy, I can't wait for Etho and others all of a sudden start praising how wonderful a GPGPU is and how it will change gaming after reading that thing while it didn't matter on the Wii U :P

As the article points out, the Wii U is capable of using GPGPU (this is a method of computing, not a specific type of GPU), but is doing it with "arguably weak chips."  If the GPU proves to be quite weak, then there isn't going to much of an advantage to using the GPU as a GPGPU.  The PS4 and NeXbox, if this rumor proves to be true, are going to be built with this method in mind, so should still come with very good CPUs and GPUs.

Just how powerful do you think MS and Sony chips will be anyways? :P They will all be weak lol.

Sony has never released a console that was only marginally more powerful compared to the previous gen, and they are not going to start now.  The only people who think the PS4 is going to be a slight upgrade from the PS3 are Nintendo fans who are praying the gap in graphics won't be a large as it was this gen.  But considering Wii U is currently trying to compete (and in some cases losing) against current gen consoles, it seems the graphical gap will be similar.

The only difference from the Ps2-Ps3 leap to Ps3-Ps4 leap is the budget. So yeah, dont be surprised if it is only marginally powerful. 

Yay!!!

Soleron said:
dahuman said:

I'd be happy enough with 720P 60FPS at pretty good details on consoles TBH since I know they are weak, I just don't know what people are expecting from the GPGPU other than for decompression, physics and "maybe" some AI assist.

Iwata told them it'd be a magic wand, I think.

There is no magic wand, there is just money, if Nintendo can toss enough money into it, then they can at least contract people into creating something for them that would be a wrapper for Havok or PhysX or other physics APIs for the GPU and ship that off in the dev kit to offset the weak CPU.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
thismeintiel said:
dahuman said:

Just how powerful do you think MS and Sony chips will be anyways? :P They will all be weak lol.

Sony has never released a console that was only marginally more powerful compared to the previous gen, and they are not going to start now.  The only people who think the PS4 is going to be a slight upgrade from the PS3 are Nintendo fans who are praying the gap in graphics won't be a large as it was this gen.  But considering Wii U is currently trying to compete (and in some cases losing) against current gen consoles, it seems the graphical gap will be similar.

The only difference from the Ps2-Ps3 leap to Ps3-Ps4 leap is the budget. So yeah, dont be surprised if it is only marginally powerful. 

Budget?  Lol.  The costs of the PS4 R&D is going to be quite a bit lower than the PS3.  This is because Sony had to not only R&D Blu-ray and the Cell, but also include the tech inside a $500 console that cost ~$800 to manufacture.  The PS4 will still use Blu-ray, which has dropped exponentially when compared to 2006.  Even if Sony were to go with a Cell 2.0 or a hyrid of techs, the vast majority of R&D cost will have been covered with the original's creation.  Also, RAM has dropped quite a bit in cost.  This leaves a much bigger portion of the budget to go into a very good CPU and GPU.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS4 launch for ~$400-$450, while either breaking even or being sold at a slight loss, and have as much as a gap as the PS2 to PS3.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
thismeintiel said:
dahuman said:

Budget?  Lol.  The costs of the PS4 R&D is going to be quite a bit lower than the PS3.  This is because Sony had to not only R&D Blu-ray and the Cell, but also include the tech inside a $500 console that cost ~$800 to manufacture.  The PS4 will still use Blu-ray, which has dropped exponentially when compared to 2006.  Even if Sony were to go with a Cell 2.0 or a hyrid of techs, the vast majority of R&D cost will have been covered with the original's creation.  Also, RAM has dropped quite a bit in cost.  This leaves a much bigger portion of the budget to go into a very good CPU and GPU.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS4 launch for ~$400-$450, while either breaking even or being sold at a slight loss, and have as much as a gap as the PS2 to PS3.

that sounds great especially the RAM.  At least then we can have a great deal of multitasking like listening to music and surfing the internet while gaming.  I hope they have a 500gb version at launch so I can ask for that for Christmas and transfer all my 500gb PS3 data over.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I hope Sony can at least build a machine that will compete with the next Xbox graphically. If not, then alot of there current fanbase will likely switch over. They spent years putting out top notch exclusives from a graphical stand point so they have to understand that is what the fanbase wants to continue. It would be much like this holiday season for there exclusives. They spent years putting out "core" exclusives and then all the sudden switch to casual mode this year and nothing is sticking.

If the PS4 is only a small leap in the specs department, I will stick with the PS3 for as long as it's supported but that's it.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:

Tesselation creates an illusion that theres more polygons on a rendered object than there actually is. So yeah

False, tesselation actually changes the number of polygons in a model.

What you are thinking of is bump mapping (and normal mapping, parallax etc) which use texture effects to create the illusion of greater model complexity.

it works best on flat surfaces, and doesn't change the actual geometry and silhouette like tesselation does. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

^^^Ohh ok, but when tessellation is on, does it consume more "power".

Yay!!!

Soleron said:

Did you know that the only working consumer GPGPU product right now is a video encoder, and it is incapable of producing the same quality as a CPU encode?

Photoshop can accelerate certain effects via GPU, some browsers support GPU accelerated page compositing, 7zip (and Winzip) support GPU accelerated compression, and there are also lots of password "recovery" tools that support it.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!