By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Console sales numbers from Norway

It should be noted for comparison sake that the Gamecube sold no more than 25000 consoles in it's lifetime

Around the Network

I know 2 person that I could call none gamer that got a wii, and 2 hardcore Nintendo gamers. But I know a couple of people that wants a wii now but didn't have the money. Allmost all of my friends got a PS3 or 360, and it still seems that it's the old school nintendo gamer that has a wii. The wii was impossible to find unntil end of march.

Think twice before helping a friend in need.

melbye said:
It should be noted for comparison sake that the Gamecube sold no more than 25000 consoles in it's lifetime

Yes, but I think the N64 did quite well (don't have the numbers right now though).

Games like SMG and MP3 are very popular, but games like WiiFit (or Eyetoy for that matter) won't do too good here. The most popular "casual" game in Norway is Singstar, especially Singstar Rocks and Singstar Norske Hits 8Norwegian Hits). Buzz is doing allright, but not very well.

PC game sales are also very high in Norway, PC games sold for nearly 80% of console game totals last year according to my source! It seems piracy hasn't killed of that platform yet like many think. You must also factor into those 80% that PC games are very cheap in Norway compared to console games, so total moved software is probably more unit by unit than for combined totals. The PS2 has very strong sales in Norway as well, with nearly 600 million NOK in game related turnover last year. 

Mummelmann said:
melbye said:

Yes, but I think the N64 did quite well (don't have the numbers right now though).

Games like SMG and MP3 are very popular, but games like WiiFit (or Eyetoy for that matter) won't do too good here. The most popular "casual" game in Norway is Singstar, especially Singstar Rocks and Singstar Norske Hits 8Norwegian Hits). Buzz is doing allright, but not very well.

PC game sales are also very high in Norway, PC games sold for nearly 80% of console game totals last year according to my source! It seems piracy hasn't killed of that platform yet like many think. You must also factor into those 80% that PC games are very cheap in Norway compared to console games, so total moved software is probably more unit by unit than for combined totals. The PS2 has very strong sales in Norway as well, with nearly 600 million NOK in game related turnover last year. 

N64 Did extremly well compered to the Playstation don't have numbers but very few persons I know knew of the Playstation brand before Playstation 2. I think Guitar Hero is the next casual hit  it did extreamly well in Oslo (was hard to find) almost all of my friends have it now but it just took off with Guitar Hero III

I was actually wrong. I dugg opp some old numbers from December 31 2006:
PlayStation 2 - 549 192
GameCube - 46 789
Nintendo 64 - 140 017
PlayStation 1 - 341 862

Considering this was over a year ago the PS2 will be much higher now of course

Around the Network

does norway fallinto the other EU contries--also nice job sony keep on coming

lol..
notice Avinash hasn't posted since mummelman owned him

melbye said:
I was actually wrong. I dugg opp some old numbers from December 31 2006:
PlayStation 2 - 549 192
GameCube - 46 789
Nintendo 64 - 140 017
PlayStation 1 - 341 862

Considering this was over a year ago the PS2 will be much higher now of course

Thanks melbye;

Do you have a link for those figures, or are they only off-line? I only ask as I doubt my Norweigian is good enough to Google them.

Here are some figures for Scandinavia [DK + FI + NO + SE] from Screen Digest:

LTD till end of 1999:
PSX: 931.000
N64: 85.000
DC: 40.000

LTD till end of 2000:
DC: 90.000
PS2: 30.000

LTD till end of 2001:
PS2: 290.000
DC: 110.000

LTD till end of 2002:
PS2: 730.000
XBX: 120.000
GCN: 40.000

LTD till end of 2003:
PS2: 1.110.000
XBX: 270.000
GCN: 130.000

LTD till end of 2004:
PS2: 1.410.000
XBX: 430.000
GCN: 210.000

mesoteto said:
does norway fallinto the other EU contries--also nice job sony keep on coming

Norway should fall into the Scandinavian region in taste and Sony has been very good on marketing and cutting price. But the personal computer is still strong and when Starcraft II comes out you will see console sales decline.