By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 NPD sales #'s for Canada

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5j1fVUBKOgsjMR76F-a7d1PDN0Zug

Nintendo ruled 2007 despite shortages of popular Wii console

TORONTO - Despite shortages of its popular Wii system, Nintendo enjoyed a banner year in Canada in 2007.

Nintendo's portable DS was the best-selling system in Canada with 696,500 units sold, ahead of the Wii at 567,000. Together, the DS and Wii (1,263,500) outsold the combined total of the Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and 3, and PlayStation Portable (1,227,700), according to the NPD Group, which tracks the industry.

"Last year, what we saw was that consistently the Wii was a top-seller in the market. It wasn't just a holiday thing . . . It became a product that everyone was out searching for and people were still lining up to get the product," Darrel Ryce, director of the NPD Group Canada, said in an interview Monday.

"It was a good year to be Nintendo."

Nintendo has raised worldwide production twice since last April, the last time to 1.8 million units a month.

Still, Nintendo's rivals also did well. With the Wii hard to find, the Xbox 360 was the top-selling system in December in Canada, with the PS3 in second place.

In 2007, the Xbox 360 sold 385,200 units in Canada followed by the PlayStation 2 (324,000), PlayStation 3 (265,500) and the PlayStation Portable (253,000).

See link for entire article.

Looks like Wii could have outsold DS here if we had supply.

Around the Network

DS was in limited supply as well, so who knows. Whichever the case, Canada loves Nintendo.

Interesting that the PS3 outsold the PS2 in December, despite significantly underselling it for the total year.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

PSP sales seem kinda low, not surprised by 360 sales though.

So PS3 WAS undertracked by Vg chartz in dec

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
stof said:
Interesting that the PS3 outsold the PS2 in December, despite significantly underselling it for the total year.

Wii was always sold out, and in December a lot of places were selling out of 360s too, so that likely helped the PS3 - plus the pricecut.

wow, Nintendo's 2 outsold everything else combined. That's pretty impressive.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

NPD suggested that Wii shortages helped the PS2 more than the PS3.

I have some info on the Norwegian market (really strange at that) that I got last night from my (only) contact in the industry.
They keep the numbers hidden mostly, but I have estimates at least.

@darth: Do you have the numbers for December?