By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it a good idea for Nintendo to move away from the casual market?

CCFanboy said:
You guys make it sound like gamecube was a failure. It was still very profitable for nintendo. And it won't be specifically nintendo attacking casuals next gen. Microsoft have proven they are making a heavy push for casuals. In fact they look to be pushing harder then nintendo currently are.

I'm actually not sure how profitable the GameCube actually was for Nintendo. Yes they were profitable in those years, but had basically 100% of the handheld market with no PSP or cell phones to deal with and Pokemon was a relatively young franchise at that time still making lots of money through all the merchandise/movies/TV show/toys etc. (these are still around, but probably not quite as big). So they had two big revenue streams (Game Boy Advance and Pokemon) to off set weakness in the GameCube market. 

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

The GC died a slow death trying to play with the big boys. The 3DS is struggling in the west as a core system.

Correction: The GameCube died a quick death because it was made specifically for kids. The 3DS is doing very well, it is one of the fastest selling gaming systems ever, and will do much better in the years to come, and easily be the top selling gaming system of the generation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I like their strategy, mainly because I think it will backfire. Third place is waiting, nintendo.

CCFanboy said:
You guys make it sound like gamecube was a failure. It was still very profitable for nintendo. And it won't be specifically nintendo attacking casuals next gen. Microsoft have proven they are making a heavy push for casuals. In fact they look to be pushing harder then nintendo currently are.

Can you show some facts to prove that? A chart of nintendo profits won't do, because those have GBA/DS included.

stup^d OP...

they dont move away from the casual market. period.

now stop creating dumb topics and get a life pathetic dick head

---

User has been warned for this post and is looking at a long term ban if this behavior keeps up.

~tads12

Around the Network
DaRev said:
No way, because in certain/many instances, Nintendo has proven that they can make a lot of money from selling to casuals. Equally, if you cater just for the hardcore, no matter how good your game is, it still has the potential to undersell. I think there were a few hardcore games that undersold this year 2012 - no?

I would agree, however, that Nintendo should focus on selling certain games only to Westerners, and where they cannot make such games themselves, maybe because they just don't have the time or will, they should then be in the business heavily of publishing those games as Nintendo exclusives.

Great point. I don't think it's as much an issue of "casual" versus "hardcore," but rather games that play to a Japanese consumer versus games that play to an American consumer. There are two problems, of course. The first is that Nintendo development teams are already spread thin working on other projects; the second is one of philosophy -- Nintendo, and particularly its resident genius Miyamoto, shy away from violent games with guns. And let's face it: military and sci-fi shooters sell very well in North America. Perhaps Nintendo needs to scoop up more development teams like Retro, or support them by publishing a Wii U exclusive that speaks to an American audience.

What they need is Rare in its heyday.

Metrium said:
They are not moving away from the casual market. Have you even seen the WiiU adds lately? Those are aimed at the casual market.

No casuals buy a brand new system at 350$ at launch. Nintendo knows this. Casual doesnt even know what the WiiU is. Nintendo can't possible hop to get the casuals w/o getting some market penetration first. When more ppl buys the system (mainly cores) the casuals will know what the system is and thx to word to mouth they will start buying it.

^This!

The Wii U commercial they are broadcasting here is beyond ridiculous. The voice sounds exactly like a parent talking to a ~4 year old kid, even when showing ZombieU... Seriously, it's so bad and inappropriate that I find it awkward to watch everytime it shows up on TV. At least their old SNES/N64 commercials were fun to watch, and made fun of the kiddyness. What we have here is basically a parent telling his/her 16 year old offspring to play with the nerd kid that just moved in next door (the Wii U), instead of going to his old "cool" friends (Xbox 360/PS3). Needless to say, I'd be surprised if one single person who consider himself a hardcore gamer would be convinced to buy the system after watching that commercial.

Also on topic: I really don't see how Nintendo has left or "moved away" from the casual market. They will still have Wii Fit, Nintendo Land, Mario Party, games like Wii Play, etc. for the Wii U. Broadening their target audience is only a good thing, if executed appropriately. Xbox 360 made a great attempt with the Kinect, for instance. Nintendo should be able to do something similar, though it should take several generations in their case to convince people that they are a "hardcore" platform to be reckoned with. Mario is the symbol of casualism, after all.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I think they are hitting all markets. I think it will work wonders. For launch, they are hitting core. Core titles are doing well which is great for future support. Next year they will launch some mainstream apps that will turn it into the hot item of 2013... there is no point in doing that now, they don't have enough supply and all the systems would have been but up by us game fans anyway. They will target casuals in the middle of the year.

^This!!

They're going after the casuals in a little while. Wii Fit U is coming spring, right?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Wii Fit U is coming next year, I think the date is not yet set. But it's the type of thing that is purchased by adults and doesn't need to be sold at Christmas. I think Nintendo will push this and other adult-casual titles through the middile of next year. Something "brainy" or "artsy", something that can only be done using a tablet, something that can only be done one Wii U.

And of course Nintendo is already nailing the "Nintendo Casual" market with Super Mario Bros. People like to say that it's grandpas and soccer moms that bought the wii for wii sports. That's not really true, the big casuals that wii hit are true gamers, just not COD gamers. Lots of girls love the wii for Mario Bros and Mario Kart. Since Mario Bros is available day 1, the mass-market will love the system. I literally twice saw groups of girls in Gamestop recently squeeling over Wii U. Girls love Mario as much as the Twilight boys.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Wii Fit U is coming next year, I think the date is not yet set. But it's the type of thing that is purchased by adults and doesn't need to be sold at Christmas. I think Nintendo will push this and other adult-casual titles through the middile of next year. Something "brainy" or "artsy", something that can only be done using a tablet, something that can only be done one Wii U.

And of course Nintendo is already nailing the "Nintendo Casual" market with Super Mario Bros. People like to say that it's grandpas and soccer moms that bought the wii for wii sports. That's not really true, the big casuals that wii hit are true gamers, just not COD gamers. Lots of girls love the wii for Mario Bros and Mario Kart. Since Mario Bros is available day 1, the mass-market will love the system. I literally twice saw groups of girls in Gamestop recently squeeling over Wii U. Girls love Mario as much as the Twilight boys.

Yeah, Mario is one sexy plummer ;)

But it appears as if Nintendo is going after the Nintendo core this holiday, and in spring they're opening up for casuals with Wii Fit U, and by fall next year I expect them to role out the big guns for the hardcore whinnies...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.