By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "Gran Turismo is not only a video game; it’s a movement" - Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

Tagged games:

fillet said:
ethomaz said:
foodfather said:
When he means is, despite his game being vastly inferior to other racers on the market, it still sells due to blind loyalty of its fanbase.

That's not true... the game in no way is a worst sim in the market... it have a lot of features better than the competition... it is just not a common racer, it's suposed to be a driving simulator.

Even IGN (I don't like so much) pointed that.

"A 10/10 simulator wrapped up in a 5/10 game – it's driving is as exhilarating as anything that's gone before, and its slavish obsession with the minutiae of many of its cars ensure it's an encyclopaedia of automotive delights. Its brilliance on the track, however is matched by its sloppiness off of it, and there's a lack of polish that would at one time have seemed sacrilegious to the series."

GT5 delivers what it needs to deliver... so the sales are just consequence... the GT5 fan never expect a fantastic game, the people that buy Gran Turismo expect just a fantastic simulator... I know a lot of guys just have a PS3 and GT5, no other game.

I agree with Kaz... GT is not a videogame... it is something else.

Irony or pure truth, I'll reserve judgement on hairy topics like that. :)

ok why do you believe it to be inferior?

as ethomaz mentioned the game has loads of features that at present i don't see in many other race sims dynamic weather, day-night cycles, varied race types : rally, go karting, nascar etc

and as i said earlier after sinking hours and hours into it there's still loads of events for me to finish and cars, racing gear, and other itmes to unlock

as i mentioned the only real disappointing thing for me is that some cars don't have a complete cockpit 

Around the Network

Another point I like the PD... almost every issue or complain made by GT community is fixed or is on track to be fixed... that's a cool thing coming from a developer after two years of the release of the game.

Of course, there is a lot of issues with GT5 but there is great points in it too.

Anyway you can see here all the feedback from the GT community: http://feedback.gtplanet.net/forums/96709-gt5-feedback

I read it all by the way.

I find this guy is like the Peter Molyneaux of Playstation. His words have an attached hype and make it seem that the content has a lot of thought and work put into it.

But unlike Peter, this guy doesn't have critics apparently. I mean, to be perfectly blunt, if the IP is a movement, why is there only one game per gen?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

o_O.Q said:
fillet said:
ethomaz said:
foodfather said:
When he means is, despite his game being vastly inferior to other racers on the market, it still sells due to blind loyalty of its fanbase.

That's not true... the game in no way is a worst sim in the market... it have a lot of features better than the competition... it is just not a common racer, it's suposed to be a driving simulator.

Even IGN (I don't like so much) pointed that.

"A 10/10 simulator wrapped up in a 5/10 game – it's driving is as exhilarating as anything that's gone before, and its slavish obsession with the minutiae of many of its cars ensure it's an encyclopaedia of automotive delights. Its brilliance on the track, however is matched by its sloppiness off of it, and there's a lack of polish that would at one time have seemed sacrilegious to the series."

GT5 delivers what it needs to deliver... so the sales are just consequence... the GT5 fan never expect a fantastic game, the people that buy Gran Turismo expect just a fantastic simulator... I know a lot of guys just have a PS3 and GT5, no other game.

I agree with Kaz... GT is not a videogame... it is something else.

Irony or pure truth, I'll reserve judgement on hairy topics like that. :)

ok why do you believe it to be inferior?

as ethomaz mentioned the game has loads of features that at present i don't see in many other race sims dynamic weather, day-night cycles, varied race types : rally, go karting, nascar etc

and as i said earlier after sinking hours and hours into it there's still loads of events for me to finish and cars, racing gear, and other itmes to unlock

as i mentioned the only real disappointing thing for me is that some cars don't have a complete cockpit 

Not sure what you mean, I meant what I said, there was no hidden meaning.

@ethomaz replying immediately after with extreme loyalism is either hilarious irony considering the post before, or it's true and it really is that good.

It's a risky line to discuss further not to mention insulting. I've never really got into GT5 myself, it's far too pretentious uhhh I mean classy for my trailer trash taste, but that's personal opinion and its hardly fair to judge a game based on silly things like that.

the fact that this thread is drowning with microsoft fans proves how dominant gran turismo is.

Around the Network
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
the fact that this thread is drowning with microsoft fans proves how dominant gran turismo is.

The proof that the Titanic could sink is that it did sink, not that it didn't.

fillet said:

ethomaz said:

I guess there are a good change to drag racing feature GT6 .

I don't see any justification to put drag racing in the game (it would be incredibly boring considering there are no turns and it is basically like running a quarter mile time trial).  Drag racing might be fun to watch in real life but I don't think any video game could make it entertaining.  Hence why there has never been a drag racing game released to my knowledge (and if it did it probably sold less than 500k).

sethnintendo said:

I don't see any justification to put drag racing in the game (it would be incredibly boring considering there are no turns and it is basically like running a quarter mile time trial).  Drag racing might be fun to watch in real life but I don't think any video game could make it entertaining.  Hence why there has never been a drag racing game released to my knowledge (and if it did it probably sold less than 500k).

Well there a lot custom rooms in online with players who want to compete against each other in drag races... the GT4 have this option for one track (Las Vegas)... and if you look at youtube you can find so many videos about Drag Races in GT5.

It's the 5th most rated feature requested to PD implement in GT5: http://feedback.gtplanet.net/forums/96709-gt5-feedback

I think the gamers like Drag Races.

fillet said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

Yeah that had no relevance to the post you quoted or with this thread really. Let's all just quote random facts.... No.