By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Recession - Thank you America.

There are really four factors that plague the US right now:

1. Fiscal Irresponsibility
2. The Housing Crisis
3. The Credit Crisis
4. Monetary Irresponsibility

First the U.S. Government has a problem controlling it's spending and it doesn't plan very well for the future. We don't need a tax rebate. What we need is to get out of th Iraq War and start discussing the he impending Social Security/Medicare problem. The baby-boomers have just started to collect SS.

Second you have stupid citizens getting loans they can't pay off and greedy mortgage companies willing to loan the money out and sell them to financial institutions. We need laws to be passed so this type of thing doesn't happen.

Third, because of the bad mortgages, financial institutions are ending up with the bill and are now short on cash that can be loaned out to endeavors with potential. For instance a business with a really good idea might have trouble securing capital to grow the company. This will definitly affect employment.

Fourth, and perhaps most important of them all is the monetary irresponsibility of the Fed. They love to mess with the markets to try and "fix" it but somehow they make things even worse. The great depression was aggravated by the Fed and they are doing the same thing now. Artificially reducing interest rates and printing more money is not the thing to do. The market correction that is going on now is in part their fault.

Around the Network

Dbot said
Hate America all you want. Just know that we will be there for you no matter how ungrateful you are. When a country invades, or terrorists attack you, America will stand by you. No questions asked. That is an unshakeable truth.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Amen

The 360 won't bomb, the Ps3 won't sell out past 100 million, the Wii will. Over all predictions, NINTENDO IS BACK IN FIRST BITCHES!

konnichiwa said:
Entroper said:
StarcraftManiac said:

Btw, we were already a mighty economical power before the US even was a country. So what the hell are you talking about? It IS America's fault... You deal with it!

If you're so mighty and powerful, then how is it that our recession can "take World Economy down" as you put it? You're taking a seriously immature attitude about this. Recessions happen after periods of too much growth. At some point, the growth becomes unsustainable, and the market corrects.

Because USA needs EU and EU needs USA. If USA haves problems EU will feel it and the same would happen
if EU had problems..

Konnichiwa said:

And the growth of the European markets also beniffited the US market before so what is your point?

Of course, it's a global economy. But you don't hear me bitching every time our economy takes a hit from a foreign recession. Japan went into a recession a few years ago, and I don't recall seeing threads that said "Recession - Thank you Japan." with comments like "I bloody hope Japan falls more than 10% tomorrow!" If we grow with Japan, we will shrink with Japan, and vice-versa. If Europe grows with us, Europe will shrink with us, and vice-versa. There is no sense in spreading all this US-hate.

Come on okay I understand Starcraft mabye went to far but the OP post was no to bitch about it...

Japan =/= Eu or USA. Japan is becoming every year less important for us...In fact is just a small country with a population of around 120 million. Japan got a recession because of China. A lot of the factories that made products for USA or EU moved from
Japan to China what happens..

Japan loses factories => Japanese workers lose their job => Less USA or EU companies invested in Japan That is bad from Japan

but what changed for USA and Europe? We get our products now from China and not from Japan...That is all. People will not lose jobs because of the fact that we get our products from China in the place of Japan ^^''.

Then what was the point?  It's the title of the thread.  I think it's pretty clear what the OP was about.

I realize that our economies are tied together.  My response to StarcraftManiac was a rhetorical question to illustrate the ridiculousness of his statement, and I made it clear that what affects one major player will affect all major players.

stof said:
hoerenkind said:
stof said:
Don't worry guys. Recessions are a natural occurance. That's why Bush's government spent their term in office using the good years to pay down debt so that they'd have more money to pump into the economy to offset slow downs such as this one...

Oh wait.

they did ?? that new for me

No they didn't. That's why I said "Oh wait."

Lol. I love how people have selective reading comprehensionabout so many things 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

I didn't want to enter this stupid debate....

However no one in here, whether they want to or not can change politics in their respective countries I didn't vote for Bush but his administration, I mean regime is what allows to to make this post. We as a whole screwed up and we can only put bandages on our wounds.

ps

I can't tell from over the internet but it seem like people classify Americans as if it's one race. Also as if race isn't a social construct and as no scientifically bearings and as if every "race" from every country doesn't live in the U.S. some where

Around the Network

double post............????

akuma587 said:
Americans are stupid, trust me, I am one. We know less foreign languages than the rest of the world's citizens, our high school students perform less well measured by objective criteria than many foreign countries, and we elected someone like George Bush to office, TWICE.

I think we are getting smarter, but we are pretty damn dumb, especially the South (I live in the South).

hey  speak for yourself, im american and i know 3 languages
plus i can understand basic chinese and also speak a little of it. j/k
though i did study in a different country, so i have no comment about highschools here.
but let me tell you the school i studied in starts teaching kids at the age of 3 and usually let kids graduate at the age of 16.
which is lot better than gratuating at the age of 18 here in the states IMO.

people here in the states are crazy in debt though.

its like they count and sell the chicks before the eggs even hatch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

iclim4 said:
akuma587 said:
Americans are stupid, trust me, I am one. We know less foreign languages than the rest of the world's citizens, our high school students perform less well measured by objective criteria than many foreign countries, and we elected someone like George Bush to office, TWICE.

I think we are getting smarter, but we are pretty damn dumb, especially the South (I live in the South).

hey speak for yourself, im american and i know 3 languages
plus i can understand basic chinese and also speak a little of it. j/k
though i did study in a different country, so i have no comment about highschools here.
but let me tell you the school i studied in starts teaching kids at the age of 3 and usually let kids graduate at the age of 16.
which is lot better than gratuating at the age of 18 here in the states IMO.

people here in the states are crazy in debt though.

its like they count and sell the chicks before the eggs even hatch.

Intelligent and multilingual people are ALWAYS welcome in this country.  I think any people born in foreign countries have less of an inherent bias towards American culture and can see both the good and the bad, and are willing to change the bad.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

dbot said:
Hate America all you want. Just know that we will be there for you no matter how ungrateful you are. When a country invades, or terrorists attack you, America will stand by you. No questions asked. That is an unshakeable truth.

ROFL. 

As long as you aren't being attacked by Hitler or involved in some other 'regional conflict' . And  have lots of oil. Heck if you have Oil, America will stand by you even if you don't want them to!

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

TheZ said:
Dbot said
Hate America all you want. Just know that we will be there for you no matter how ungrateful you are. When a country invades, or terrorists attack you, America will stand by you. No questions asked.

Amen

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a big IF in that statement.  If you are being attacked by a dictator or terrorists AND we have something to gain from helping you we will.  I didn't see us complaining when we funded Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan against the Soviets or when we back up Israel when it uses attack helicopters to take out a lone target on a crowded civilian street, nor did I see us run to the rescue to stop any of the African genocides.  Maybe we would have saved countries like Rwanda if they had oil...

America = Best Gaming Console

Europe = Best Game Developers