By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - DOWN PERISCOPE: Sony to drop PS3 to 299$

They might be doing this to increase Blu-Ray penetration into homes to finally end the format war.

Remember, now that Blu-Ray has almost certainly beaten HD-DVD, Sony can afford to loose a bit more on the PS3 because they will more than make up for it selling Blu-Ray Disc's.

Around the Network

WELL MAYBE their 11 MILLION fiscal projection weren't so far fetched.....hahaha(are we still allowd to use lol??)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

If that happens I will piss my pants, then run to the nearest store and buy a PS3.

Yeah, I have to side in the camp of the doubtful on this one. I think it would be a brilliant move, though.

If they dropped the price this soon after Xmas, how many holiday buyers will be so upset they never buy another Sony product again?

Before you are quick to dismiss this point, my mother was so upset no one told her about the Atari 5200 coming out when she bought a 2600 for my younger sister that she continuned to harp on that point almost every month until she passed away unexpectedly two months ago.

Now a pricedrop in Spring may work without the negatives.

By the way, has Nintendo ever sold a console at a loss? (I thought I saw somewhere that they always made a profit on their machines).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

To be honest, I think its a possible price on a new PS3 SKU.

The more I think about it, the more possible it seems.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

I remember when everyone was saying there was no way the PS3 was going to cut its price this year, and it's only January.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

I guess we will know in a week.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

this would be brilliant, and it would cause another sales surge.

also, every time a big game came out, the sales surge would be bigger than normal with the lesser price.

can you imagine a 299 ps3 and mgs 4?

If, and that's a huge frickin if, this were to happen, PS3 sales would shoot through the roof worldwide with all the sick games slated for release this year.
Maybe 08 really will be the year of the PS3?
I've always maintained that it'll do very well this year, but this could make my estimates too low if it happens (unlikely though!).