By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony patents hybrid DualShock/Move controller

Sony patents hybrid DualShock/Move controller

November 30, 2012 6:44AM PST
By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Snap-together input combines classic controller with motion pad.

Sony may be attempting to change the way gamers play through a new hybrid controller. The company published a patent (via The Sixth Axis) for a "Hybrid Separable Motion Controller" on November 29 after originally filing for it during May 2011.

Drawings from the patent filing indicate that the snap-together controller will be a mashup of Sony's standard DualShock controller and its Move motion input. It will also include components like a magnetometer and accelerometer, as well as support for vibration and audio playback through an embedded speaker.

The filing also suggests a PlayStation Eye camera will be required for use with the new controller. Additionally, it appears games will be able to detect if the controller is split in two or not. It is not clear if the new separable controller is planned for the PlayStation 3, the PlayStation 4, or perhaps both, if it ever exists at all.

Sony has not announced this new controller, and the company was not immediately available to comment. Additional images from the patent filing are below.

By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Eddie Makuch (Mack-ooh) is a News Editor at GameSpot. He lives in Connecticut, works out of the company's New York City office, and loves extra chunky peanut butter.

Around the Network

this could be interesting, very smart way to add motion controlling with every ps4 sold if they do this with the ps4. you get a regular controller and a motion controller in the same package. also an analog on each part is very good as well, i just which they would make those damn lights not so big!

Awesome news. I wished this for the longest time, hope to hear more about this, and hope Nintendo can do some of this fancy lego-controller designs too, it's a no-brainer.

I like this!!! FPS dual wielding pistols and free analog sticks...yes please! Skyrim with dual spells, one controller for shield and the other for the sword...yes please. I like.

Interesting idea. It will depend entirely on craftsmanship, however. If it feels solid in DS mode then great, if not, I wouldn't like it.

It would be nice if both parts charged with one cord, as well.

Could be pretty cool if done correctly.

Around the Network

Awful... You can really see a virgin nerd designed this.. The reason why motion controls are so popular with women is cause the controllers are shaped like a dildo...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I immediately thought of how I could play Skyrim with this controller. On a related note, I do hope that Sony makes it easier to use their controllers on PCs without the use of third-party programs.

a very sad controller... if those are included with the console Sony is doomed

Also, give me a standard controller with a wrist strap. That would keep me from throwing my controller in thoughtless rage.

Isn't this an old patent? I remember seeing this or something similar

could be very interesting actually. Best of both worlds controller

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!