By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 3 vs Gears of War 3 (revisited)

Uncharted 3 vs Gears of War 3 (total lifetime sales)

Uncharted 3 647 72.86%

Gears of War 3 241 27.14%

Total:888
CGI-Quality said:
Hynad said:
CGI-Quality said:
ninjablade said:

then tell me what was his point in comparing sales.

I can't give you a 100% definitive answer, but I can speculate that it was to show Uncharted's growth (specifically in conjunction with Gears of War). Bundles cannot be ignored, no disputing that, but neither can the uptick this franchise has seen in sales, whether they exist or not.

The way I see it, Uncharted 3 wasn't expected to sell nearly as well as GoW 3. Based on the sales of prior games in each of the 2 franchises and the crazy pre-orders that GoW 3 had. So the fact that they got this close and since they share virtually the same game genre makes the comparison interesting.

Which is crazy when you think about it, because Gears of War 2 is the highest seller in the series (6.58mill), and Uncharted 2 is now over 6 million (just 500K behind it, in fact). The two franchises got closer with the last release, and I don't believe Uncharted 2 was bundled to the degree that Uncharted 3 has been.

The awards the franchise is getting which sparked majorly with UC2 probably plays a hand in that :D
Kind of like Journey this year, what gamer that hangs on the internet has NOT heard of it?

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
ninjablade said:

Why don't any of you show me game that' sold over 2 million and not bundled double it sales after 10 weeks, uh that's right it doesn't exist, i guesss you guys can ignore that fact all you want. fanboyism at its finest, keep fighting the good fight, and you guys jump on me for the demons soul mistake, when the orginal poster made the mistake of it was out 10 weeks WW did 100,000 and then it did 1.7 million.

You assumed, not me. I gave you its first 10 weeks on the market. But just to prove how stupid your argument is:

167,000 - 10 weeks USA sales only from USA release

70,300 - 10 weeks EU sales only from EU release

98,600 - 10 weeks Japan sales only from Japan release date

Total 10 weeks WW in respective markets: 335,900

LTD: 1.67m

Get some data to back up your ridiculous assertions.

actaully selling 5x of your first 10 weeks is realistic, if sells start off that very slow like 335,900, selling 99,000 WW is huge differnce, its basically has no interest so please, next time bring a comparison that actually adds something, i can show plenty of games that do 400,000-500,000 its first 10 weeks and go on to sell 1.8 million but i can't show you games that do 99,000 WW and go on to sell 1.7 million, you brought a stupid comparison that was really a waste of time, as i said before show me  one game that does 2 million its first 10 weeks and goes on to double it sales in a 4 year time period. my research shows that only mass bundled games have been able to sell over 2 million in there first 10 weeks and then double there sales in less then 3 years.

ninjablade said:
 as i said before show me  one game that does 2 million its first 10 weeks and goes on to double it sales in a 4 year time period. my research shows that only mass bundled games have been able to sell over 2 million in there first 10 weeks and then double there sales in less then 3 years.

ninjablade said:
why don't any of you show me game that' sold over 2 million and not bundled double it sales after 10 weeks,

You are asking two different things in these posts, would you make up your mind?

@Top - You say 10 weeks sales of 2 million that doubled.

@Bold - You say a game that's sold over 2 million lifetime double its 10 week sales.

Which do you want? Learn to say what you actually mean...

dsgrue3 said:
ninjablade said:
 as i said before show me  one game that does 2 million its first 10 weeks and goes on to double it sales in a 4 year time period. my research shows that only mass bundled games have been able to sell over 2 million in there first 10 weeks and then double there sales in less then 3 years.

ninjablade said:
why don't any of you show me game that' sold over 2 million and not bundled double it sales after 10 weeks,

You are asking two different things in these posts, would you make up your mind?

@Bold - You say a game that's sold over 2 million lifetime double its 10 week sales.

just show me the bolded, or show me a game that sold over 2 million and didint take a 50% drop the next year, all of the bundled games did'nt take a 60-70% drop the next year like 99% of the un bundled games.

Here is also a fun fact that only games selling over 2 million its first 10 weeks that have been able to double there sales in only 2 years, are mass bundled games.

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
dsgrue3 said:
ninjablade said:

ninjablade said:

just show me the bolded, or show me a game that sold over 2 million and didint take a 50% drop the next year, all of the bundled games did'nt take a 60-70% drop the next year like 99% of the un bundled games.

Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3):

10 weeks: 4,261,592

LTD: 9,572,737

dsgrue3 said:
ninjablade said:
dsgrue3 said:
ninjablade said:

ninjablade said:

the reason for that one is because ps3 install base was so small at the time, and i also said 4 years time.

ninjablade said:
dsgrue3 said:

the reason for that one is because ps3 install base was so small at the time, and i also said 4 years time.

2011 1,110,906 -1.1% 8,832,701

Less than 4 years, actually. And the install base isn't relevant, if anything that's even more proof that a game doesn't need bundles to double its sales.

dsgrue3 said:
ninjablade said:
dsgrue3 said:
ninjablade said:

ninjablade said:

ninjablade said:
dsgrue3 said:
ninjablade said:
dsgrue3 said:
ninjablade said:

ninjablade said:

Shut up, seriously. When the first Uncharted game came out, the PS3 install base was even smaller than when GTA4 came out. So cut the crap with the double standard.