The Matrix (1999)
The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001)
The Pianist (2002)
28 Days Later... (2002)
Spider-Man 2 (2004)
Toy Story 3 (2010)

Roughly.

Around the Network

I'm glad I didn't cause an early THE END to this thread when I said I saw so many it would take me forever to make a list of 10 BEST movies I ever saw.

Only last week I saw 4 more movies for the very first time, one of them is one of the rare cases of a European movie which had international influence:
- John Carter (USA 2012, Andrew Stanton, with lots of Jeddaks), unfortunately not a good movie but at least more entertaning imo than - say - Star Wars: Episode 1+2 or Matrix 2+3
- Madigan (USA 1968, Don Siegel, with Henry Fonda and Richard Widmark), good late 60s NY cop movie with an excellent OST, it was great to see these two actors together in one of their late works
- Django (ITA/ESP 1966, Sergio Corbucci, with Franco Nero), great and even today shockingly violent (imo) movie, without a doubt one of the most influential spaghetti westerns ever => see e.g. Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (imo most probably influenced), El Mariachi (definitely) or Tarantino's latest flick (obviously)
- Swimming Pool (FRA 2003, François Ozon, with Charlotte Rampling), not bad but overrated by critics imo

None of these would make it to my top 10, three of them probably not even in my top 300.

If you don't mind I'll give you a list of top 10 most entertaining movies I ever saw instead of a list of best movies I ever saw.

The difference:
Best movies I ever saw would probably include movies like Godfather II (or Scarface/1932 or The Public Enemy/1931?), Gold Rush (or The Dictator or Modern Times?), Seven Samurai (or Rashomon?), Metropolis (or Nosferatu?), The Band Wagon (or West Side Story?) The Searchers (or My Funny Clementine?), Spartacus (or Lawrence of Arabia?), Jules and Jim (or Day For Night?)...or...or...or.. As I said I could think forever about a best movies list.

A list of 10 most entertaining movies I ever saw is easier to make. This list includes movies which I can watch again whenever I want or whenever I stumble upon them on TV, no matter how often I've seen them before (they don't necessarily have to be comedies or lighthearted movies, but the majority are).

So here's my quickly compiled (I went through my DVD collection) top 10 of most ENTERTAINING movies ever:

Blade Runner (USA 1982, Ridley Scott, with Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer & Sean Young)
Bullitt (USA 1968, Peter Yates, with Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn & Jacqueline Bisset)
Charade (USA 1963, Stanley Donen. with Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn & Walter Matthau)
The Court Jester (USA 1956, Melvin Frank, with Danny Kaye & Basil Rathbone)
The Devil's Brother (USA 1933, Hal Roach, with Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy)
The Great Race (USA 1965, Blake Edwards, with Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis & Natalie Wood)
The Jungle Book (USA 1967, Wolfgang Reitherman, with Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera & Shere Khan)
North By Northwest (USA 1959, Alfred Hitchcock, with Cary Grant, Eve Marie Saint & James Mason)
The Philadelphia Story (USA 1940, George Cukor, with Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn & James Stewart)
Some Like It Hot (USA 1958, Billy Wilder, with Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe & Tony Curtis)

...damn, no Marx Brothers movie in my list? Or should I replace one of them with...Moneky Business...or A Day at the Opera...this is so hard...anyway...I just stop thinking about it and leave it as it is.

My list shows two things:
- Hollywood makes - or better: made - the world's most entertaining movies, at least in my opinion.
- Cary Grant has probably the best track record of entertaining movies ever (and I didn't even list his other movies which became timeless classics, such as Bringing Up Baby, His Girly Friday, Arsenic and Old Lace or To Catch a Thief). No wonder many consider him the greatest movie star ever. This guy chose his screenplays wisely - granted though, he had it easier because many of Hollywood's 1930s to 60s screenplay writers, producers and directors were lightyears better than most movie people who succeeded them.

@Veknoid, you can add this as my list if you want.

super_etecoon said:

1. Fight Club
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Harold and Maude
4. Empire Strikes Back
5. Inception
6. The Fountain
7. City of Lost Children
8. Moon
9. Magnolia
10. Secret of Nimh

The city of lost children is one of my favorites too. I'm anxiously waiting for a blu-ray release as my Laserdisc player is pretty much dead.

In no particular order:

1. The Princess Bride
2. Big Trouble in Little China
3. Transformers: The Movie (animated 1986)
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Get Shorty
6. The Dark Knight
7. Ghostbusters
8. Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
9. Raiders of the Lost Ark
10. Goldeneye

okr said:
I'm glad I didn't cause an early THE END to this thread when I said I saw so many it would take me forever to make a list of 10 BEST movies I ever saw.

Blade Runner (USA 1982, Ridley Scott, with Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer & Sean Young)
Bullitt (USA 1968, Peter Yates, with Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn & Jacqueline Bisset)
Charade (USA 1963, Stanley Donen. with Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn & Walter Matthau)
The Great Race (USA 1965, Blake Edwards, with Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis & Natalie Wood)
The Jungle Book (USA 1967, Wolfgang Reitherman, with Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera & Shere Khan)
North By Northwest (USA 1959, Alfred Hitchcock, with Cary Grant, Eve Marie Saint & James Mason)
The Philadelphia Story (USA 1940, George Cukor, with Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn & James Stewart)
Some Like It Hot (USA 1958, Billy Wilder, with Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe & Tony Curtis)

yes well i agree with your sentiment and glad yuo mentioned an audrey hepburn film as i would include one too because i love her and you have north by north west which is fine by me,some like it hot,no problem superb movie and blade runner plus boutros mentioned the shining which i can go with too,so interestingly when we had a blade runner thread i thought someone was saying it was overrated /pretentious rubbish but i guess ut wasn't you,falsey accused from my memory

i actually love the old stars for example i watched the african queen with K.hepburn and bogart and it was a brilliant watch 1951,these films have a real class and sublte humour that they really don't do anymore but this not to say i do not enjoy modern films as i do,wait until dark is also good which i saw,people like lemon, either hepburn,cary grant,james stewart,gregory peck,robert mitchum the list is endless and a lot of very classy beautiful actresses too,that reminds me of The Yakuza with robert mitchum 1974 which some people might liek around here,i bought that it was a good watch,anyway enough ramblings,the 1960's mutiny on the bounty is pretty good too while i remember

i  have to agree with films i can always watch like the lord of the rings,silence of the lambs,red dragon,the omen,the shining,the exorcist,the fly 

i would also mention films like Fatal attraction,Falling down,superman,radiers of the lost ark,star wars,Jaws,Poltergeist,empire strikes back

1.Jaws

2.Superman  1978

3.The Birds

4.Harvey

5.Cape Fear 1962

6.The Godfather 2

7.The Shining

8.Fatal Attraction

9.The Fugitive 

10.Breakfast at Tiffanys

Frantic,wait until dark,blade runner,Falling Down,Dirty Harry,silence of the lambs,The exorcist,Poltergiest,The Omen, as favourite films to watch it could go on too i mean there are endless brilliant war movies/comedies/action/romantic/thriller classics the list could go on and on 10 is not enough but i tried to get some favourite actors/genres 

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
okr said:
[...]

So here's my quickly compiled (I went through my DVD collection) top 10 of most ENTERTAINING movies ever:

...damn, no Marx Brothers movie in my list? Or should I replace one of them with...Moneky Business...or A Day at the Opera...this is so hard...anyway...I just stop thinking about it and leave it as it is.

My list shows two things:
- Hollywood makes - or better: made - the world's most entertaining movies, at least in my opinion.
- Cary Grant has probably the best track record of entertaining movies ever (and I didn't even list his other movies which became timeless classics, such as Bringing Up Baby, His Girly Friday, Arsenic and Old Lace or To Catch a Thief). No wonder many consider him the greatest movie star ever. This guy chose his screenplays wisely - granted though, he had it easier because many of Hollywood's 1930s to 60s screenplay writers, producers and directors were lightyears better than most movie people who succeeded them.

@Veknoid, you can add this as my list if you want.

I will proudly add it :)

And we should talk movies some time.

I´ll do it like Pezus. I´ll Name 10 movies but without a ranking.

Pulp Fiction
Unforgiven
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Lion King
Once upon a time in the West
The Dark Knight
Rocky
Sin City
The Godfather

I am going to have to give this some thought, but will return with a list later.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

1. The Godfather 2
2. The Godfather
3. Once upon a Time in the West
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
5. 12 Angry Men
Rear Window
Schindler's List
Lawrence of Arabia
Some like it Hot
Letters from Iwo Jima

mines not in any order by the way i was just counting ten decent movies

Above & Beyond