By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 UP YOY in USA with NO big exclusives. What gives?

Why was the PS3 up YOY in USA during BF week?

Great bundle deals and discounts 198 45.41%

New exclusive games (All ... 21 4.82%

More PS3 advertising 15 3.44%

A combination of multiple factors 136 31.19%

Other 16 3.67%

See results 48 11.01%

Total:434
kowenicki said:

For the year... For the whole year, not one week in the US only.  It will finish the year down 20% minimum. 

Actually, pretty sure it's down you this week to, globally. 

You mean 30%+ down like the XBox360 ? or just a little down, like 10%?

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I'm mystified by what the PS3 has been able to accomplish this year. It should have been a horrible year when you consider that it was one of the worst for AAA exclusives, especially given that the 360 had the one-two punch of Halo 4 and CoD.

I think those who believe the brand to be in a serious state of decline are wrong. Sony made so many mistakes early in this generation; that people are still buying Playstations tells me that the support and recognition are still there. People still want what the Playstation name brings to the table--if they're honest with themselves, that is.

I voted for the "multiple factors" choice. Cheaper price, great value-added bundles, better advertising, PS+, hype over upcoming games, and the fact that it's built such a varied library of games all help to keep the PS3 on people's minds.

The 360 has had a fantastic life-cycle, don't get me wrong, but I think it's main weakness is the PS3's strength, which is the sheer number of exclusives that have accumulated over the years. That's a factor that really comes into play on the back end of the life-cycle. I believe it's the reason why the PS3 is so popular as "the second console".

Horrible point..

PS3 may not have had HALO...... but really.. ps3 had everything else that released on the 360 that was huge.. halo was the 2nd biggest game of the year.. while COD was available on ps3 and 360.. COD is the biggest game of this year.. AC III is 3rd and that is also on ps3.. with DLC.. and it's being advertised as a PS3 is only getting the DLC title

tbqh

it's the fact PSN is getting much better.. PS plus is becoming a factor.. it has a blu ray player compared to the 360.. and it's brand is huge world wide.. plus a new model with 5 games for $199.. that should push it up year over year.. there is much more value being offered this year for $199 than last year..

mM
Euphoria14 said:
Gap this year seems to be around 150k. What was it last year?

world wide? It will be less than 150k.. less than 100k even, and I am expecting that when shipment numbers come in PS3>360 WW for this quarter

mM
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:

Kowen, what was that about all consoles being massively down? PS3 - it only defies gravity!

I can quote you can I.  The ps3 will be up YoY. Excellent.  Thanks.

It was...past tense. Keep up! Did you not see the news?

For the year... For the whole year, not one week in the US only.  It will finish the year down 20% minimum. 

Actually, pretty sure it's down you this week to, globally. 

If that is the case when why a completely different attitude in the 360 BF sales thread?

Look, I know your drinking. You should lay down. You're causing nothing but trouble and your arguments arent making sense when you take a quick gander to the 360 BF thread. You come off as just trying to cause trouble.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
It has a lot of exclusives so I'd think people would buy it and then buy exclusives they've missed. Multiplatform will of course help too

But it had most of the big exclusives last year too. Why did it sell more this year? Do you think it was PS All Stars??

maybe Im not understanding the question.  Are you talking about the entire year or just the holidays?

And no lol

Bundles have been good this year and gaming is growing over all.  Multi console owners may buy the ps3 for exclusives theyve missed.  I dont think anybody is going to have an answer for you to be honest.  Its good to see the PS3/X360 do good during the holidays but I dont think anybody can pinpoint to why they sell to just one thing.  It'll be multiple things that helps.  

On a side note what came out last year?  Im thinking Uncharted 3, Little Big Planet 2 came out early last year, Resistance 3 came out in september, and what else?  I can't remember.  Last year wasnt that great either if I can remember right but it was certainly better than this year.  It is weird to see it sell better but either way that's a good thing 

motorstrom apocalypse, ico and shadow of the colosuss collection(which ironically i just got, like right now) socom 4, killzone 3, littlebigplanet 2, resistance 3, uncharted 3, infamous 2 and ratchet and clank all 4 one

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

Why? It was way behind its competitor last year and its way behind its competitor this year.  Yes it's up, which is good, but it's relatively still pretty bad? Isn't it? 

Im gonna quote this again. Im gonna ask you something but I want you to answer when youre sober. Look at the bolded.

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2011/Global/

Last Year, the 360 finished up behind its competitor. Was it a bad 2011 for the 360?

bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
It has a lot of exclusives so I'd think people would buy it and then buy exclusives they've missed. Multiplatform will of course help too

But it had most of the big exclusives last year too. Why did it sell more this year? Do you think it was PS All Stars??

maybe Im not understanding the question.  Are you talking about the entire year or just the holidays?

And no lol

Bundles have been good this year and gaming is growing over all.  Multi console owners may buy the ps3 for exclusives theyve missed.  I dont think anybody is going to have an answer for you to be honest.  Its good to see the PS3/X360 do good during the holidays but I dont think anybody can pinpoint to why they sell to just one thing.  It'll be multiple things that helps.  

On a side note what came out last year?  Im thinking Uncharted 3, Little Big Planet 2 came out early last year, Resistance 3 came out in september, and what else?  I can't remember.  Last year wasnt that great either if I can remember right but it was certainly better than this year.  It is weird to see it sell better but either way that's a good thing 

motorstrom apocalypse, ico and shadow of the colosuss collection(which ironically i just got, like right now) socom 4, killzone 3, littlebigplanet 2, resistance 3, uncharted 3, infamous 2 and ratchet and clank all 4 one

Thanks.  It was actually bothering me I couldnt remember lol.  Ico and shadow of collosuss XD  just make me even more upset that we still have no clue about the last guardian >:(

JayWood2010 said:
bananaking21 said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:

And no lol

Thanks.  It was actually bothering me I couldnt remember lol.  Ico and shadow of collosuss XD  just make me even more upset that we still have no clue about the last guardian >:(

lool yeah i actually forgot about infamous and motorstorm, had to look up a list real quick. well i never played either game and i heard they were both amazing, and i hears shadow of the collosuss is a masterpiece, so i bought the games without even looking at them or knowing what they are, all i know is that they are considered two of the best games ever made, and the rest i will find out by playing them :D

wow. thats really good. i wonder what the ps2 and psp sold

By the way, nobody report him. He admitted right off the bat that he was drinking and for you to take what he says with a grain of salt.

He will be fun when he is sober and gets to answer your questions.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!