By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What happened to PS3 exclusive sales in 2012?

I have no reason to buy those games at all, like none.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
JayWood2010 said:
I like how people are blaming advertising. They were mediocre or uniteresting games. If they were good they would have sold well.

They would of sold more if people knew about them as well in reference to games like Starhawk and LBPKarting (in this case I've never seen a ad or anything on it anywhere).

Twisted Metal and PSABR I can understand.

What games do get adds.  people make it sound like every game that sells well gets tons of adds and tht isn't true.  Yes halo, call of duty, assassin's creed, etc gets adds.  But there is lots of games that dont and they do fine.  People are more informed than what people make them out to be.  Sony's advertising sucks but even if these games were I dont believe they would have done much better.  

Kynes said:
badgenome said:
Kynes said:
Tank! Tank! Tank! Is a wii u game or a PS3 game?

Wii U.

It was a failed attempt to do a lame joke. I fail at that.

Oh. Whoops.

BenVTrigger said:

Twisted Metal:  0.57 million Not particularly good, niche

Starhawk:  0.18 million No marketing, niche

PSABR:  130k opening weekin NA Not particularly good

LBPKarting:  0.13 million No marketing, lbp declining in pop

Worst year for Sony's FP so far.

Next year looks absolutely stellar though. TLOU, GOW:A, Sly 4 and Beyond: Two Souls. Sales-wise I could see up to 15 million between these 4.

Andrespetmonkey said:
BenVTrigger said:

Twisted Metal:  0.57 million Not particularly good, niche

Starhawk:  0.18 million No marketing, niche

PSABR:  130k opening weekin NA Not particularly good

LBPKarting:  0.13 million No marketing, lbp declining in pop

Next year looks absolutely stellar though. TLOU, GOW:A, Sly 4 and Beyond: Two Souls. Sales-wise I could see up to 15 million between these 4.

That would mean an average of over 4m per game?  No way man lol  TLOU will be unpredictable as it's a new IP. Sly 4 1m-2m prediction.  Two Souls 1m-1.5m  GoWA 2-4m

All respectable but not 15m.

Around the Network

The VGC numbers for now is not trusted... the PS3 and Vita sold a lot better... so the games too.

If you ask me, the games just werent that interesting.

Maybe the results of playstation all star and LBP Karting teaches Sony to not try to copy nintendo and instead focus on their own thing.

Would've been much better to have worked on a new Fighting IP that stands on its own feet. LBP was justa bad idea all-around. Should've been scrapped.

From what I hear, Twisted Metal was unplayable for months after release. LittleBIGPLANET: Karting never had a chance. PABR could still be successful. I'm not sure about Starhawk though. It seems like a really fun game from what I've played. It must not have appealed to enough people. Hopefully, it sold more digitally.

Jay520 said:
From what I hear, Twisted Metal was unplayable for years after release. LittleBIGPLANET: Karting never had a chance. PABR could still be successful. I'm not sure about Starhawk though. It seems like a really fun game from what I've played. It must not have appealed to enough people. Hopefully, it sold more digitally.

I know this is only anecdotal and a small sample, but when Starhawk launched, I posted the trailer on reddit in this thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ta2pw/starhawk_launch_trailer_game_releases_this_week/

The reaction was mostly positive - game looks good, beta was good etc.  But the overwhelming reaction was "If you hadn't posted this thread I wouldn't have known it was releasing", plus plenty of discussion about Sony's marketing.  

It just slipped under the radar really.

About LBPK - don't rule out the legs on this one.  About Twisted Metal - like I said earlier in the thread, it was a PSN game that got upgraded a bit.  Sales are good for what it was.  And yes, I suffered through 2 months of server instability before it was finally playable online, word of mouth killed any legs for this game.

JayWood2010 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

That would mean an average of over 4m per game?  No way man lol  TLOU will be unpredictable as it's a new IP. Sly 4 1m-2m prediction.  Two Souls 1m-1.5m  GoWA 2-4m

All respectable but not 15m.

Key term = "up to", meaning this is the best case scenario... I'll expand:

TLOU: 3-5 million (TLOU has a lot going for it with Naughty Dog developing it, massive hype, Uncharted's success/popularity, easy marketing (graphics + zombies)) With good marketing and scores it'll do Uncharted: Drake's Fortune numbers.

GOWA: 3-5 million (A lot of the same factors of above apply + established, growing franchise, tracking 3x better than GOW3 on US pre-orders)

Sly 4: 1-2.5 million (Doing surprisingly well on pre-orders)

Beyond: Two Souls: 1-2.5 million (Big name actors, Quantic Dream hype) I expect this to do as well as Heavy Rain (just over 2 million)