By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gonna buy Oblivion today... But for what system?

Good decision. But if someone is buying a console TO play Oblivion the 360 win. The differences between the versions of the game are so small compared to the differences in price of the consoles.

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

Around the Network
josenieves1 said:
Good decision. But if someone is buying a console TO play Oblivion the 360 win. The differences between the versions of the game are so small compared to the differences in price of the consoles.
Then again sometimes you do get what you pay for as for now PS3 is built a lot better than the 360. The extra cost  is worth the extra life of the console.

PC

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558

I have the PS3 version.

I played for about 30 hours and accomplished nothing.

I only started doing quests because I felt guilty and wanted more people to rob.

Oblivion is a long game.

Decide which controller is more comfortable to play with and toss that into your decision.  It may seem like a small thing but it's not.

Around the Network

I thought the Game of the Year Edition was the same for both consoles but I went to EBgames.com and it said nothing about Knights of the Nine for XBox 360 whereas PS3 is a yes.  I'm not sure how much it costs on XBox Live but its probably 10 dollars.

I'm not sure about load times but I think there shouldnt be much difference because (if you have Live) they patched the XBox 360 after they improved the load times when they ported to PS3.  On XBox 360, you have get 1400 (I think) achievement points because there are 400 some for the expansions.

America = Best Gaming Console

Europe = Best Game Developers

Ahhh, Oblivion. The best game ever made.

rocketpig said:

Need some help deciding here... I'm ashamed to admit it but I still haven't finished Oblivion and was going to pick up the bare bones version today for ~$25.

So, do I go for the improved loading times of the PS3 or do I opt to Achievement-whore myself out on the 360? How is rumble implemented in the 360 version? I really like rumble but if it's not a real part of the gameplay, it's not a concern.

Has anyone played the game on both systems? Are the load times really that much better on the PS3?

Please, no flaming either console. I want to know how different they really are from people who have seen them both play.

If you want ultimate mods/downloadable content: PC

If you want console convenience and lots of downloadable content: 360

I've played it on 360 (completely) and PS3 (for a few hours), and after the last 360 update the load times seem almost identical, so I would have a tough time recommending the PS3 version.

MikeB said:
gebx said:
I thought they patched the 360 version and made it run as smooth as the PS3 one?

No, the PS3 version is smoother due to a harddrive install (but still not smooth, less frequent slowdown issues and load times) and looks better because of a higher rendering resolution (720p vs 600p) and longer draw distances. You also get more content included on the disc.

Completely false.  The guys I work with have PS3s and they complain constantly about "loading latency".

The 360 version uses the hard drive as a cache  (which can be cleared to restore faster operation). 

halil23 said:
Glad you got the PS3 version. Better graphics, quicker loading, extra content and further draw distance. And trust me, you wouldn't want vibration on for 100hrs. This should sum up getting a PS3 over xbox made easy. Will be getting GOTY when I get my PS3 :)
Oh yeah, rocketpig have fun.

This is complete crap.  The PS3 version does NOT have better graphics... the 1.2 update to the 360 version leveled the playing field shortly after the PS3 version came out.  Draw distances, etc., are the same.  Loading times are similar.

I hate it when people recommend something to others when they don't know what they're talking about.