By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 720 Might Lack A Years Advantage

If they both launch at the same exact time, it will boil down to this: Supply.

Which company has the resources to break the trend and manufacture a few million consoles for launch? Seriously, a great initial supply with killer marketing at launch could make some serious damage. I can see Microsoft prevailing in this scenario but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Around the Network

For Sony the damage is done. MS swayed a ton of people to switch brands and then shackled them with a Gamer Tag and a Gamer Score. All those people that keep track of their chievos will not leave them behind. MS knows this and will make sure their complete Gamer Score will be waiting for them on the Next Box.

Next gen is going to look a lot like this gen. The only difference I see will be that Nintendo won't sell record numbers to soccer moms and grandparents. I think it is far more likely we will see a fairly even three way split than see Sony take back their lost customers.

exclusive_console said:

As far 720 will lack. I think there is very little incentive to get 720. Because whatever it offers will be avaliable on PS4 and more. 720 might get some timed exclusives that is the only thing I can see.

So you don't expect Microsoft to publish any 1st/2nd party games next generation?

kain_kusanagi said:
For Sony the damage is done. MS swayed a ton of people to switch brands and then shackled them with a Gamer Tag and a Gamer Score. All those people that keep track of their chievos will not leave them behind. MS knows this and will make sure their complete Gamer Score will be waiting for them on the Next Box.

Next gen is going to look a lot like this gen. The only difference I see will be that Nintendo won't sell record numbers to soccer moms and grandparents. I think it is far more likely we will see a fairly even three way split than see Sony take back their lost customers.

The possibility of migrating profiles to  the newer system will surely have impact on sales for Sony and MS.

But I doubt it will stop anyone from buying a console of another company.  Whoever makes the better console will steal market share from the other.

Normando said:
I bet both launch next year. There was some news recently that MS has said that's the plan for them but it's not news that they've been having some trouble so it might be a "soft" launch like some have been saying.

As for what Sales2099 (pretty much anything I've seen him say actually). I'm pretty new to this site but his kind isn't rare. Sales matter when it suits him and don't when it doesn't. He leaves out information and gives "half truths" just to try and sound right.

Yes, the 360 has sold more lifetime than the PS3. But it's been out and extra year. Every year that the PS3 has been out it has outsold the 360. Even if you align the launches the PS3 has outsold the 360 every year. The ONLY reason the 360 has sold more is its year advantage.

Except last year when MS sold 800k more.

Around the Network

I don't know if Sony wants to push up the launch of the PS4 in order to match the 360. We're seeing a pretty dramatic shift in strategy from Sony this gen. Last gen they were extremely aggressive price wise and were ok with making less money selling hardware in order to eat up a lot of market share. Due to their financial troubles, this generation seems different. They should have dropped the PS3 and Vita prices already but have not because they make money (or lose very little in the Vita's case, idk what the total cost per unit is there, I read $160 but that was before R&D, marketing, etc). So it makes more financial sense for Sony to just ride out the PS3 as long as they can and continue profiting off of it,

A year head start is nowhere near as important this gen for MS as it was last generation. MS has improved their brand name immensely and now basically have the biggest market (US) in the bag.

Xbox360 out 1 year before PS3 so it had more game then PS3 and had supeior version of multiplatforme and was a way less expensives then PS3 and yet Xbox360 is only 1.9 millions ahead.
If Sony wont do the same error with the PS4 then what they done with PS3 the xbox3 won't beat it.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:
Xbox360 out 1 year before PS3 so it had more game then PS3 and had supeior version of multiplatforme and was a way less expensives then PS3 and yet Xbox360 is only 1.9 millions ahead.
If Sony wont do the same error with the PS4 then what they done with PS3 the xbox3 won't beat it.

Lol!

kain_kusanagi said:

I'm pretty sure except for the hardcore gamers, no one cares about gamertags or gamerscore, myself included

If i switched over to microsoft next gen i couldn't give a stuff about my psn profile, the whole achievement/trophy hunting thing is a niche

ironmanDX said:
small44 said:

Lol!

Why lol?

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m