By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sony / Ninty Yen boost. Markets finally catch up with me ;-)

Or Japanese changes.

Around the Network

so this amzing for nintendo profits and gives a little breath of life for sony

good for all the big japanese companies too i suppose

Above & Beyond

kowenicki said:

Sony and Nintendo both predicted exchange rates for the yen of 80 to the dollar and 100 to the Euro in their recent earnings releases.  Over the last few weeks this has proved a little on the cautious side and the yen has weakened against the two currencies by quite a bit.  This could actually improve further too with some decent news from Europe and if the US sort out the fiscal cliff, as they surely will.

The timing of this could be very beneficial given we are about to enter the biggest selling period of the year and a quarter when massive portions of revenue are generated.  Should help bottom line profits.

Do you think Nintendo is going to be profitable this quarter in Q3?

In Q2 they had to book a loss for the production of the Wii U which resulted in a 200 million loss :( The exchange rates are really in their favour right now, they had 80 and 100 for U.S. and Euro respectively as forecast. Its now over 84 and 111. Furthermore, do companies do the exchange towards the end of the quarter or throughout the quarter?

I think you should recommend people to sell some stocks before Jan 31st (Sony's quarterly update). Yen didn't depreciate until January which means any benefit from the weaker yen would not be reflected in their Q4 earning report. Not to mention they are still restructuring so it is likely they will still report large losses.

kowenicki said:
I hope you all took notice of this thread back in November. If you are a Sony fan and fancied some stock you could have made some money.

Thismeintiel will be in shortly to apologise I'm sure.

So, the higher the exchange rate the better Sony and Nintendo with do financially?  As of Jan 18 it is pretty much at 90.  Is this correct?

Around the Network
kowenicki on 13 December 2012
TheLastStarFighter said:
Nice! It's over 83 now. I would absolutely love to see it approach 100...if it does both companies will well exceed forcasts.

That aint happening. No way in hell.

90 would be a massive surprise.

Surprise!!

Apologize? Nah. Guess it would be my luck that out of the 10 or so Sony stock threads you've made, I'd miss the one positive one.

Anyway, I do hope Kaz can keep the company's momentum going so stocks continue to go up, as they have been doing lately. Of course, I feel the recent rises have to do with more than just the yen situation. I also feel we should get a decent Q4 2012 report.

so things got better. that's great. lets hope profit is seen in Son/ninty's future.

Up and up it goes. http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=JPY&view=1Y

The DPJ was the worst thing to ever happen to Japan. It's nice to see the LDP pressuring the BoJ to finally start easing their monetary policies and get the currency under control. Hopefully corporations will have enough income to increase hiring and kick off this recession for good. As an example I know Nintendo was planning to decrease projected hiring by around 50% this year, bad news for new university grads, but maybe they will rethink this if the finances turn out better than expected due to increased overseas income.