By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forza overtakes Gran Turismo to become the highest selling HD-console exclusive racing franchise of the gen!

dsgrue3 said:
Be honest, how many days were you staring at that particular comparison?

Last week someone said that Forza sales were nearing GT for this gen, so I checked it out and GT was ~80k ahead. Then I looked again this week and Forza had overtaken it.

Around the Network
man-bear-pig said:
Laurel Aitken said:
man-bear-pig said:
Laurel Aitken said:

Ohhhh!!!!!! This thread is so sweet :P It's like a naive 6 years-old created it.

But if thinking that lets you sleep at night, YES! Wooooh Forza for tha win!!!!!!11111 GT zukz! :)
Now you can go and be happy!

All I'm doing is stating facts...no need to get personal

Yeah, "stating facts". 

Like a user said before:

Forza average: 3.06 m
GT average: 6.12 m

So, that's also a fact. But you created the thread not because you found an awesome fact. You created it because you thought it was going to be controversial and PS3 fans were gonna be pissed off.

I don't get personal, but the OP is a very naive post. It's like those controversial news sites that make controversial articels just for the hits.

Wow...I included screenshots to show exactly what games/how many games were included. The OP is just 100% factual. Any biases or inaccuracies you can see are in your mind, because they're not in my OP.

Yeah, I know the screenshots are real and are facts and the OP is factual. That doesn't changes what I said in a bit.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
by the time GT5 stops selling, it will outsell all forza games on 360 combined! 

Forza 4 is being bundled this holiday, so it'll add a hefty amount to its total. Forza Horizon will also do resonable numbers, so I doubt your prediction will materialise

Laurel Aitken said:
man-bear-pig said:
Laurel Aitken said:
man-bear-pig said:
Laurel Aitken said:

Ohhhh!!!!!! This thread is so sweet :P It's like a naive 6 years-old created it.

But if thinking that lets you sleep at night, YES! Wooooh Forza for tha win!!!!!!11111 GT zukz! :)

Yeah, "stating facts". 

Like a user said before:

So, that's also a fact. But you created the thread not because you found an awesome fact. You created it because you thought it was going to be controversial and PS3 fans were gonna be pissed off.

I don't get personal, but the OP is a very naive post. It's like those controversial news sites that make controversial articels just for the hits.

Wow...I included screenshots to show exactly what games/how many games were included. The OP is just 100% factual. Any biases or inaccuracies you can see are in your mind, because they're not in my OP.

Yeah, I know the screenshots are real and are facts and the OP is factual. That doesn't changes what I said in a bit.

I created it BECAUSE THIS IS A GAME SALES SITE, and this is BIG NEWS. Simples!

man-bear-pig said:
Laurel Aitken said:
man-bear-pig said:
Laurel Aitken said:
man-bear-pig said:
Laurel Aitken said:

Yeah, "stating facts". 

Like a user said before:

I created it BECAUSE THIS IS A GAME SALES SITE, and this is BIG NEWS. Simples!

Ok, that's fine. Be happy.

Around the Network

You know, I understand the point of this thread, that it's supposed to claim bragging rights for a favored exclusive, but the funny thing is that I think most people would see that comparison and say, "holy cow, GT5+Prologue has sold as many copies as FOUR individual Forza games." From a normal perspective, it's a really strange thing to brag about. I mean, you have a bloody prologue edition that has outsold numbered, full-game releases.

It's just kind of silly when you think about it, and I mean no disrespect to Forza when I say that. It's a high-quality series. However, I can't help but find it ironic that most people who didn't know the numbers previously would likely leave this thread far more impressed by GT5's showing than anything else.

Firstly I would like to say that the lifetime sales on this site just aren't reliable. It is equally conceivable that both of these franchises are significantly under tracked. Secondly we have no solid data regarding digital sales, or for that matter what the digital download profile is on either console. For example do 360 owners download more games. If we at least had a ratio. We might at least be able to extrapolate the digital sales.

Thirdly the raw data isn't what is important. What is important is that Microsoft has matched Sony on this front within the margin of error. To put it mildly Microsoft has surged while Sony has slipped. This site is best when it comes to measuring trends, and the trend seems to be apparent. By the end of this generation Microsoft will have sold more Forza then Sony will have sold GT for their respective consoles, and that is something that was almost unthinkable at the beginning of this generation.

Fourthly GT just isn't the Juggernaut it was prior to this generation, and the associated bragging right just doesn't even exist anymore. Some of you are defending a dead horse. In the final analysis if Sony gets bested, or even just manages to get stalemated it is a loss. I remember the propaganda at the begging of this generation that so many spouted about GT being king shit, and Forza was merely a pretender to the throne. Well the pretender turned out to be a real contender.

I know some of you want to argue the finer points, but the truth of the matter does stand. Many of you expected, and wanted a easy victory when it came to the racing front. In that sense you have already lost. Sony really did need to keep a comfortable margin in this genre, and they didn't manage to do that. I mean the only genre that Sony seems to have a certifiable lead in would have to be platforming games, and that is just basically due to the likes of Little Big Planet, and that hardly trumps Nintendo.

Sony really doesn't have any genre advantages to speak of, and that was a huge loss this generation. It was a big reason that people bought the PS3 in the first place. The perceived support that they thought would be coming. It should tell you that Microsoft is due some mad props for breaking down those walls.

Laughed so bad at the responses in this thread, mbp, not sure if the original intention was just to get the butthurt, because it sure as hell did , funny read on a day like today.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Dodece said:
Firstly I would like to say that the lifetime sales on this site just aren't reliable. It is equally conceivable that both of these franchises are significantly under tracked. Secondly we have no solid data regarding digital sales, or for that matter what the digital download profile is on either console. For example do 360 owners download more games. If we at least had a ratio. We might at least be able to extrapolate the digital sales.

Thirdly the raw data isn't what is important. What is important is that Microsoft has matched Sony on this front within the margin of error. To put it mildly Microsoft has surged while Sony has slipped. This site is best when it comes to measuring trends, and the trend seems to be apparent. By the end of this generation Microsoft will have sold more Forza then Sony will have sold GT for their respective consoles, and that is something that was almost unthinkable at the beginning of this generation.

Fourthly GT just isn't the Juggernaut it was prior to this generation, and the associated bragging right just doesn't even exist anymore. Some of you are defending a dead horse. In the final analysis if Sony gets bested, or even just manages to get stalemated it is a loss. I remember the propaganda at the begging of this generation that so many spouted about GT being king shit, and Forza was merely a pretender to the throne. Well the pretender turned out to be a real contender.

I know some of you want to argue the finer points, but the truth of the matter does stand. Many of you expected, and wanted a easy victory when it came to the racing front. In that sense you have already lost. Sony really did need to keep a comfortable margin in this genre, and they didn't manage to do that. I mean the only genre that Sony seems to have a certifiable lead in would have to be platforming games, and that is just basically due to the likes of Little Big Planet, and that hardly trumps Nintendo.

Sony really doesn't have any genre advantages to speak of, and that was a huge loss this generation. It was a big reason that people bought the PS3 in the first place. The perceived support that they thought would be coming. It should tell you that Microsoft is due some mad props for breaking down those walls.

You're right, a game that is on pace to exceed 10 million in sales isn't a juggernaut, prologue didn't sell more units than 2 full Forza installments, Sony needed to retain an advantage in this genre for ??? reason, and everyone bought ps3 for Gran Turismo which failed miserably to sell well.

Some people shoudn't post their thoughts.

Dodece said:

"GT isnt the juggernaut it was prior to this generation" proves you dont know what your talking about and are on a biased fueled rant. its within 1 million of hitting the 10 million everyone thought was impossible for the same reason you said, yet your still saying it?  explain to me your reason as to why GT isnt what it used to be cause the sales say the opposite. isnt it the fastest selling GT in europe ever? i really hate posts like this trying to be all factual and know it all when its quite franky, just another opinion, thats full of nonsense. nice try though.