By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U - Extremely Slow Download Speeds. WHY?!

This is driving me insane now. I put up with the slow speeds yesterday, but still tonight I am downloading things at roughly 500KBps, when I usually have a download speed of 3.5MBps on my PC (with Steam, etc.).

Why is it taking me 45 minutes to download a 1700MB game such as NSMBU? What the hell, Nintendo. Does anyone have any answers or knowledge on this subject?

(1735000KB / 60seconds) / 45 mins = 642.5KBps ... 1/6 and up to 1/7 my actual download speed.

:(

(Pre-emptively stating this: Please don't turn this into a digital vs. physical thread)

Around the Network

If you look on the back of the gamepad and open the battery slot, you see that Nintendo is using a 1500mAh battery which is very stingy of them, i think the same is applying to their servers.

The odd thing is that I can download things quickly from the normal Wii eshop (spent my final 2000 points) and the downloads were brisk, so i guess they are intentionally throttling due to not wanting the servers to overload.

I DLed the initial update in 50mins. How long it take you?

are you using wifi?? if you are you should try using your Ethernet port at the back of your console it's much faster

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
chapset said:
are you using wifi?? if you are you should try using your Ethernet port at the back of your console it's much faster

Very funny. 

The initial download took me around 45 minutes as well, but I was at my friend's house when i did it and his internet is much slower than mine. I just checked my DL speeds through Steam and I appear to be downloading just as fast as ever, yet Nintendo speeds are extremely slow. Oh well, NSMBU just finished so the crisis is over for now. 

I hope this throttling (if that's what it is) stops soon. 

wfz said:

This is driving me insane now. I put up with the slow speeds yesterday, but still tonight I am downloading things at roughly 500KBps, when I usually have a download speed of 3.5MBps on my PC (with Steam, etc.).

Maybe it is your wi-fi router is not good enough? You should connect it physically with the ethernet po.....forget it. ¬_¬

EDIT: Someone beat me to it lol.

Seriously though, maybe your router is not that good, or your console is too far I guess.   Or maybe the walls in your house are made of lead? lol XD

1700 mb? so no high res textures?? or the scenarios are very similar so they reuse the textures? It ocupies the same ammount of data as a DL game (which are normally that small). -_-

So the 25gbs disks are for third party stuff by the looks of it.

wfz said:

chapset said:

Very funny. 

The initial download took me around 45 minutes as well, but I was at my friend's house when i did it and his internet is much slower than mine. I just checked my DL speeds through Steam and I appear to be downloading just as fast as ever, yet Nintendo speeds are extremely slow. Oh well, NSMBU just finished so the crisis is over for now. 

I hope this throttling (if that's what it is) stops soon. 

Damn, I was hoping it was just you. 1700 mgb should not be a problem. Ive DLed demos bigger than that on Psn in less time

It was like this for the Wii, as well. First couple of days, the Shop Channel was excruciatingly slow.

I'd advise waiting a while. They need to work it out.

Also, 3.5 MB out of steam? Only time i downloaded a game off steam, i got 80KBps

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

chapset said:

i lol'd.  also, i'll take this post as an opportunity to let you know how much i appreciate your avatar.  soo hot.